Saturday, April 12, 2014

part 2 continuing on with roswell

Part 2 –Seven shades of brown




        The desert southwest is something for every Ohioan to visit and observe to fully appreciate all we have here in terms of rain and water sources. I would walk the river or creek as I call it here and I believe most of the water in it came from the condensers in air conditioning units, anyhow this creek would trace its way through downtown Roswell and I followed it one day through a residential neighborhood and I came across what appeared to be a Nazi symbol embedded in the stonework of the canal , and after checking it out on the internet found out that during World War 2 , German prisoners were housed in barracks at the military base and would routinely allow prisoners to participate in work gangs and one gang was attached to the river project at the time which involved bringing in hundreds of tons of rock and hand placing it on the slopes of the stream , and at one point were allowed to establish in the rock a symbol of their native homeland . Together the group of prisoners elected to emblazon a Nazi iron cross symbol in the stonework. A historical marker placed in an observation position told the story of which I retold to my dad who was a gunner on a battleship in World War 2 and to this day I can remember his reaction as if I was untruthful as to the story. He couldn’t believe that Germans would be allowed to deface a project like that and get by with it. He was very adamant about his position and went so far as to call me a liar, as if I had purpose for making up something like this.



       Dad and Mom went out west to extend Dads life as he had bronchitis and emphysema, and were of the thinking that if he went out west where the air was better that it would extend his life and in a lot of ways it did. Well for one thing, if he would have stayed here I am sure we would have got into it more often and soon enough I would either kill him or he would me. We never seemed to get along that much. I would have to say that the ten years they spent out there was good for him as he finally developed an appreciation for people in his life that had over the years tried to help him. That and Alzheimer’s led him to a life where I too finally appreciated our relationship, hard as it may have been at times but in years seems to have mellowed us both out. Occasional flare-ups of temper was expected from dad at times with me , even when he had Alzheimer’s as sometimes he would look at me real mean and be withdrawn . I finally come to the conclusion he was pissed at something and knew I had  to be the reason, except that he couldn’t remember for what or when. I would just ignore and move on. Two minutes later it would pass and he would have a smile on his face.


     Spending the month out there with them was a nice break, as it I had never lived outside the state of Ohio for so long in one place in all my life as I have always been a lifelong resident of the state. This was a radical break from the norm and at the time was something I needed in my life. My eyes were wide open and it was interesting noticing all the differences between the two places. Things I would notice while out driving around, or doing a walk about of town would translate into stories by mom and dad as they would have noticed it before me and would tell me stories about it and make suggestions as to where I should go next. The one month I spent there was interesting to say the least. It was nice to stay in a spot long enough to get a feel for living there in real life. I liked staying there and would like to revisit but still would long for home eventually. I know there are times when the desert blooms and grass grows green but in the last part of February all I saw was seven shades of brown and an occasional green watered lawn. Most were brown or were just plain dirt and dust.
      Dust would accumulate in corners and crevices along with bits of trash, where it may make a haven for something to grow. In most cases it wouldn’t and depending on the wind direction move on to somewhere else always trying to find a chance at making it. Much like the tumble weeds do when out on the prairie. I couldn’t imagine trying to deal with this daily and worrying about venturing to far from town without water, or ‘to be lost in the desert on a horse with no name’. Instead would gladly choose what I have right now, gray or anyway it comes to us.

       I have come to the conclusion I have a tendency to underestimate my storytelling abilities and may have to drag this blog down this road for a while to cover all I had seen and done while travelling to New Mexico. The sixteen shades of green comes from all the shades of beautiful green I have seen here in Ohio as bright sun green is different than stormy blue green and along with it comes the mood. Having a night of rolling thunderstorms, and near misses by tornadoes bears an understanding of appreciation how it is to have missed the bullet again. That green in the morn in first light, heavy with dew is much different than high noon green. Maybe someday I can express in words all the different shades and the moods that correspond with the different shades of green, but feel I am venturing to far away from what I had intended .to contrast two different environments in an effort to understand unique and different we are. But is still life , outside my little world of norm. 

No comments: