Tuesday, December 31, 2013

just a pounding away at this thing.

Problems to Solutions
Part 3

   

     Sometimes when I go off on these rants or about the environment and other forms of society or a society I think I would be envious of or have a desire to possibly live in a situation like I describe, I tend to lose readers. If I tell everyone I screwed up or said the wrong thing and apologize on my blog I am amazed at all the visitors who suddenly come out of the woodwork to view my train wreck. Doesn’t make any sense.
      What does make sense is telling and writing down my ideas even if no one ever reads them. At least they will be there to share with the world in the event they ever show any merit or could possibly make someone else’s life easier or in the worst case offer the world a possible solution someone else can take credit for. I could give a shit one way or the other because it will probably never be of use to me in my lifetime. Seeds are needed to plant for things to live and that is what I am doing seeding ideas to become a reality hopefully someday for someone or for all to enjoy.
      I wish I had the money to begin construction of the first couple of units as I would move in the first one and then offer the second up to sell. Just to get things rolling. If I was building for myself I might go a little on the modest side but would hope to eventually finish the inside and landscape as I wanted eventually. And of course instead of a drive would insist on a tunnel instead to a public parking area from my front door step.
    I would in our area select old strip mine land to use as the sites for my first underground houses. Typically old strip mine scars around the edges of the hill in Ohio would lend themselves to underground house construction as the house being pre-fabricated in a plant would be trucked to the site on a carrier and assembled in the open. This would require a sizable cut or excavation which is in some cases is already done in old strip mine lands. Also typically this land is cheap and plentiful. Also when the construction and all the fill is placed around the house and tunnel area it would in effect work towards reclaiming the land where previous coal and mining operations had scarred the earth. Topsoil and landscaping materials would come in and transform these old strip mines into a modern subdivision and this would eventually become part of the city.
    Also another advantage of using the old strip mines beside the reclamation of unusable land is the fact that  if the land was not stripped; it still would be unsuitable for a level field as it is usually hill side where these properties are located. This is important in terms of reducing water runoff. That you have proper drainage on these slopes to slow the rainfall and reduce erosion as well as provide a source of water for irrigation.
     The house would be constructed in the bottom of a pit and then by means of an excavator or dozer buried till the top 20 percent of the house sticks out of the ground. The soil would be placed in lifts and compacted as the fill area grows till one would reach final grade then landscaping mounds and water ponds would be built to recycle on site water. Mindful all the time that your house is directly below you buried for the most part. I would bring in top soil as that is what I do best. I have organics I would blend with natural topsoil and sand till I get this manufactured topsoil that is far superior to anything that was there before.
    I would work on the last house furthest away on the street I intended to develop and then work my way back to the other end. As you finish one section start another. The reason for this is due to logistics as if you are moving pre-fabricated concrete housing sections down a street you need no obstructions to work around so in your best interest to start furthest away and work back to your point of origin.


       Around the base of these houses I would specify that there exists a bed of stone and drainage pipes looped with cleanouts to a drainage system direct to day light or by means of a sump to assure the dryness of the foundation. Also all buried portions of the house be wrapped in a drainage shield and then sealed in with roof coating to assure the prevention of water entering into the living quarters.
     Once the concrete shell of the house is buried and attached to the tunnel then installation of interior plumbing systems could commence as well as installing solar panels and connecting to the power supply. Run wires and plumbing then finish the interior with different floor and wall applications.
     The sewer or waste system would have a different type of toilet designed to use less water. This system would push the slurry under pressure to the processing facility for methane extraction. Other wastes would include shredded paper and garbage which would be liquefied and pumped through the ram pump through a back flow valve into the tunnel underground to the processing facility. It is important to consider only products that are environmentally safe into the housing development to assure compliance with sewer needs.

     You will have to excuse me as I have no typewritten notes and although I edit I tire easily when writing as my work or especially this subject at times can make me yawn also. And it may be the fact it is almost midnight and I may be getting tired. Preferring the latter explanation over the prior, it is in most cases I am doing this ad-lib though trying to be consistent and heading to a point.  But this one still seems a distance away so will have to end her for the day and pick up again tomorrow.

No comments: