Wednesday, June 4, 2014

nature is working , me not so well as i used to.

Update on the farm





         We are doing quite well here on the farm and I have made some headway in some areas and of course falling behind in others. My carving has taken a back seat to other activities I have going on. I kind of have a problem with that, but still plan on fulfilling my commitments to others. I still need to finish the carving for the young lady who won the bear with fish at the open house. I have used this bear as a learning tool using it to demonstrate to a prospective carver who is coming along and enjoying the art of carving. In order to complete my experience of carving I try to share my knowledge of what I do with others when they show the interest. Still plan on finishing the bear but will be getting into hay season feet first at first opportunity of dry days in a row.

     I still have baskets of flowers available for sale and plenty of tomatoes, just call first to arrange for someone to show you what we have. My Better Boy tomatoes I have selected for early tomatoes are already setting tomatoes I have one green tomato that is quarter size. Most of the tomatoes are setting 6 tomatoes to a cluster. Looking forward to some early tomatoes, as it always seems that first homegrown tomato is always the best. I still have plenty of these plants to offer. Though at this point they are climbing up the trellis and depend on its support, and probably should be delivered in a vehicle capable of standing the complete plant upright and with the trellis intact. So far the bamboo trellis seems to be structural enough to hold the tomato plants. This is a green solution; as well the pots are being reused, as long they are holding up. I would suggest you find a low place in your yard this fall and dump the soil and save the pots for me in the spring.

     The bees seem to be doing quite well without me. Haven’t had time to inspect the hives but intend to do so as soon as I can to check and see if they have settled into building their respective hives. It seems as if I have equally good activity in and out of the hives when they are active. I know they have a lot of work to do this year to get them prepared for winter, let alone be able to provide me with anything. I would be grateful for any honey I receive, and I am looking forward to sampling their wares. At least I know that I am doing something good for nature and us humans by helping to sustain our native bee populations as best I can. They are vital to our food supply for pollination first, then honey second.



     My buckwheat and bee flower seed is planted and coming up. It seems it is feeding the birds already, as I see numerous birds plucking freshly planted seeds out of soil is thinning the future population of their food supply. By the looks of things though it seems as if there will still be plenty and  also it makes me glad to plant a dual purpose plant that not only allows the bees to thrive but will also provide food for the birds who visit our little place up here. Rarely a second goes by I don’t hear a bird chirping somewhere here in the valley when the day is full. Having birds around is great way to reduce insect populations naturally. I still feed the birds, and in effect also feed the squirrels and all varieties of animals as well as birds. The amount I provide is small compared to the total need of every animal that visits my bird feeder. Chipmunks, my ducks , the chickens , squirrels all eat around the feeder as well as a variety of birds who visit to get part of their nourishment to help them along. They reward me with my constant smiles and a greater appreciation for those things out there living in not quite as nice conditions as myself. Or is their little nesting place all they need to go on? I would only hope it is, and with the little I give them to be more than enough to make their lives comfortable in our little piece of heaven. Judging by the talk outside my door in terms of birds singing, it all seems to be pretty good. Although it seems I am going to have to build a purple martin nest, it seems the mosquitos are taking their toll on us this year and it is time  to start using spray to allow yourself to be outside at night any length of time without something on to repel them. A bat house is another way of encouraging nature in an effective way to reduce mosquito populations and is also on my to-do list.





      Just hope I live long enough to finish even half on that list. And if I ever get to the point I have finished all on that list then I must be ready to go to that great beyond. Because it seems I am always giving myself more to do knowing full well, some of what is on that list will never get done. You can only do what you are able to get done. I guess the rest isn’t worth worrying about till tomorrow.   

No comments: