Friday, December 18, 2015

you do what you have to,



Zoey and my Doughnut Bag

 i see mc donalds is encouraging you to grow your own, never noticed this till i enlarged the pic. this might account for the dog's need to satisfy a few munchies. 

      Zoey was a German shepherd dog I had that I was able to get off my brother Jim. Zoey had a bit of a tough life and was a handful to begin with, and at different times she had bit me not once, but twice. Once when she thought I was threatening her pup and one other time because it was her nature at the time. Lacking any type of interaction with humans and penned in a small fenced in enclosure, Zoey would run the fences and was very intimidating at times. I have seen her climb the side of a six foot high wood fence trying to get at me at times.
      At some point though, Zoey and I reached more than an understanding and she became one of the crowd of dogs , mainly her pups I let inside my house on a particularly cold winter as well as my regular dog Bud. Soon Zoey settled down and was one of the best dogs I ever had as she showed me a devotion I could never let go of. In fact although she was my brother’s dog I asked him if I could take her when I moved away from the farm for a while and I kept her with me as well as Bud my other German shepherd, who I had since he was a puppy and who died a few years ago and he along with Zoey are buried at the top of the hill overlooking the farm. 

zoey on left , babe , and bud 

      Zoey, Bud, and Babe and any other dog I ever had just love the wind in their face or maybe it’s the thought of driving down the road and with a dog’s keen sense of smell be able to scent the butts of all those dogs  my truck would pass and revile in the thought that they knew they were free, unlike those dogs confined to chains and dog boxes along the way. They would lean over against the passenger door and just let their head drift out the window smelling and occasionally glance at me with, the home chauffeur look.
      After all that is what we are. We are slaves to our animals. We feed them, open the door so they can go outside. , clean the crap up in the yard , water them then run to the door again to let them out again, as well as in the middle of the night or if the neighbor’s dog barks. To occasionally be able to have a dinner we eat without feeling guilty, or slipping them the last bite , even though it was really good. As in the case of the doughnuts I happened to pick up at Mineral City at Steineck’s bakery where the owner Mary makes some of the best doughnuts around. As much as I like Mary I have had to reduce the frequency I stop there for obvious reasons I could easily have shown you had you had watched me try and button my pants. The doughnuts were good and the company was friendly and for some reason I felt compelled to make a daily sojourn to Miserable City to partake of the doughnuts she offered there. 

zoey playing with her sticks. this is how babe learned all her bad habits

 
    Zoey happened to be with me and for some reason I didn’t really touch my doughnuts right away instead left the neatly folded bag in clear sight of Zoey as I stopped at Cross Roads gas station to get me some gas whereupon I jumped out of the truck and ran into the gas station to pay for the gas. I came out and pumped the gas and noticed Zoey sitting in the passenger seat looking out the passenger window, not really paying attention to me which was unusual for her. I jumped into the truck and it was then I noticed my doughnut bag tightly stuck around her muzzle where she had tried to get the doughnuts in the bag but instead had stuck the bag on her nose and couldn’t get it off. Instead of trying to paw it off as  I am sure she had tried till I came out to pump the gas , she instead sat nonchalantly in the passenger seat hoping I wouldn’t notice the bright white bag stuck on her nose. I looked at her and started in laughing and then I asked her what happened to my doughnuts she just looked at me with those sorrowful, but not really that much eyes and I laughed some more. Assuming the doughnuts was history or would be after I got the bag off. I instead savored the moment and started the truck and headed home. Still she never tried taking the bag off, but before I exited the parking lot I pulled over out of the road and helped her get the bag off laughing all the time. I fed her what was left of the doughnuts and she seemed real happy that I didn’t go berserk on her. But how could I . 

the original camera hog, she was always jumping in the shots, and now i know why , so i would never forget her and even without pictures doubt i would have

     Seeing the dog with Mc Donald’s bag flooded back memories of Zoey and her doughnut bag, she was something else and if nothing else a touching reminder of how precious life is.  How easily it can be gone, and there you are, still left behind holding the bag.

No comments: