Sunday, September 11, 2016

Negligent Activity def. (not much better than nothing at all- still thinking about not thinking about it)


i can carve a mean dead floating fish. makes you wonder what environmental tragedy befell this poor painted beast carved out of an old snaggy piece of wood. 

Negligent Attitude
      Self-deprecation day is in order here to fully understand why I haven’t been writing much. To say I am storing up for a burst of new stories fresh withy insight may be true but for the most part it is because I am self-absorbed in the Facebook phenomenon of social media. I have a feeling like if I don’t moderate the flow of material flowing through the cyber mazes and spewing itself vomit fashion on to the puter screen. you have seen them pages upon pages of Trump negativity . if I can interject a heroin overdose picture or possibly copy a link to my favorite song on u-tube or whatever else but Trump . I feel that this lately has become a full time job as well I am reading voraciously online and need to change the tides and send some information out to that great sea of controversy we call the internet.
      Where I fit in in this scenario is kind of bewildering to me at times. But I am still being read so this alone gives me  moment of peace . It is knowing my time is not wasted that proves all of this valuable to me alone. Again thank you and I value your patience and hope you enjoy the selected pics I have to share in kind of a new format. 



My sunflowers 2016

Hydrangeas i believe? Correct me if you like. It is pretty and so must be included in pics. 


A double swamp lily ? these are all flowers from here on the farm . they have probably bloomed and are out of season now.




     I will take a minute and update you on my potato tower experiment for 2016. If you remember I had a potato tower in 2015 and with 5 lbs. of seed potatoes I ended up with over 50 lbs. of potatoes of which I used for myself till I was down to perhaps my original 5 lbs. or maybe less of smaller gravel potatoes and some thick sliced buds I managed to save from other potatoes and anyhow without spending anymore I had enough to plant the tower again in 2016 to show everyone how easy it is to grow potatoes, how cheap it can be, and also how small a space you can do it in. The area is approximately 3 x 3 feet and is about 2 foot tall. The bad part is it requires new soil every year. Potatoes like tomatoes carry blights and wilts and re-using the same soil increases the chance that diseases carry over from year to year. So what I do is expect to replace the soil with new soil, and then I use the old soil for trees or shrubs I am planting or repotting.  You can easily absorb the quantity of soil equal to maybe 20 large pots , required to grow potatoes yearly by just rejuvenating and re-potting plants. 
      Not sure what the production will be off the tower this year. It will be at least another month or two before vines die and i start to break down pyramid. the wood  I  will reuse again next year and I can begin re-potting for next season after i dig potatoes.  
      

     I have accomplished some this summer but I have been hampered by my back and I am still having trouble with my back and I am now relying on Mr. Stick much more often.  I am trying to keep on moving on the house and I have other projects I have been working on. My raspberries are now starting to grow new vines and they are spreading. I need to transfer some to the greenhouse as I experiment more with their propagation.  The grapes I planted and the ladder arbor is doing pretty good. I imagine soon enough I will have to expand the arbor. I am thinking about extending across road and go from there in a continuous line from where I originally started. Maybe I can do a maze around the farm. That would be awesome, and a lot of grapes. I am going to do cuttings and expand my plantings as it is about time to get serious about the raspberries and grapes.
     Another project I started yesterday was wine making and intend to get more into this also as a possible end use of berries not sold, or grapes produced here on the farm. I will write and tell you what I found out about wine making so far and keep you informed. . I guess after writing here I have only scratched the surface of what I need to write about.Thank you for your patience. -kevin

No comments: