Monday, January 5, 2015

so much to think about


1-5-2015

Sunny and Cold and Windy


log cabin day 2013




falling waters entrance

    Since this diary or journal of sorts is chronological, then for all purposes this above heading will be my format when talking about the cabin project. Should I call it a log cabin, and for all intents and purposes that is what the primary structural component should and will be? The design though I hope will be a little modern with a touch of rustic heritage, bordering on green living.
    It is a house, but one that opens the outside up and brings it inside with you. Windows and views unobscured. I had the chance to help out with a local log cabin restoration, and was able to watch the Amish builders as they went about taking parts and pieces of three different log cabins and erecting them onto a location where another log cabin had stood for years buried in neglect, till it was transferred and restored by the Pike Township Historical Society.


pikey



falling waters

    I have toured the house as recently as last summer, and have participated in several fund-raising events and have also donated sculptures, some to be sold for fund raising activities, and Pikey the bear, one of my wood sculptures, stands proudly in front of the log cabin, welcoming all to the town of East Sparta. In fact just recently while driving by I noticed Pikey wasn’t there and I thought someone had stolen him. I had to check on my way back through. When I did I was assured he was missing, after I made a point to look for sure again. I noticed fresh tire tracks in the snow led  right up to where he stood , and then it looked as if the vehicle, which undoubtedly was a truck, as pikey stands over 5 and half foot tall and weighs 300 if anything, had also backed up to the log cabin . I could imagine it being cleaned out also, as it contained items of value.
     Immediately upon returning home I looked up my neighbor’s number and asked if either her, or her husband knew of any reason why Pikey was missing as they also had an interest as they too volunteered labor for the cabin. And they knew nothing but were going to check it out and see what they find out. Anyhow word came back to me from that the director that the Historical Society had used Pikey in a Christmas parade along with other items from the cabin. It is funny that for years I drove past that corner and had little reason to check out the happenings there, and hardly ever noticed much going on , but since I placed that carving there I seem to never miss making sure it is there, although I gave that job up years a go along with checking on the cabin.




    So where I am going to is that I have had experience in log cabin building and general log building principles but don’t know if a traditional log cabin is exactly what I want. In fact, I want what I build, to be a noticeable asset to the farm and something to be admired. Maybe finally get my house in Better Homes and Gardens, Mom’s lifelong dream. well I don’t know exactly that it was her lifelong dream but I can still remember the day when she told us to clean the house, that Better Homes and Garden was coming to take pictures, that they were going to feature us in their magazine, and the young naïve children that we were, hurried and scurried around gathering up toys as mom directed us on what needed to be done before they arrived as we were all excited only to find out mom lied to us. Her very own children and she lied to us, keeping up the fib till she admitted late in the day after running out of things for us to do and laughing at us every chance she could  behind our backs as she led us around blindly, just to get us to clean the house. No wonder I turned out like I did. Anyhow as punishment for the letdown, we made her take us to the drive in theatre, but before we could go my sister Sherry swallowed a nickel mom told her to keep in a safe place so she could spend it later, so she swallowed it and as a result, we never did make it to see ‘Blubber,’ w/ Fred Mc Murray. I lived a tortured child hood fraught with impossible family member’s intent on purposely trying to distract me from my real calling. Which was story telling?



     Old log cabins of pioneer days had small windows and solid doors capable of fending off Indian attacks or mobs of angry villagers armed with plowshares and pitchforks. They are solid and will burn slowly  as it takes a wooden beam awhile to get started to burn and it consumes itself much slower than a composite wood beam and remains structural, allowing escape if necessary. The windows being areas where heat would escape when trying to heat with drafty fireplaces, were kept to a minimum as oil lamps provide light even during the day, as the interiors of cabins were dark and gloomy and the needed the glow of a fireplace and an oil lamp were needed  even during sunny days. Most old log cabins I have been have that same characteristic of being closed in and this is what I want to avoid. Instead I want the light, and views in my face, open and inviting you to participate with nature and inviting you outside. More of a minimalist cabin, offering space and simplicity in design, with a rustic exposed beam and weathered wood siding accent to contrast with modern features of a third millennium home style.  
      I have drawn up some sketch’s last night of a proposed concept, but easily after discussing what I want on here , I can see that my drawings and concept ideas must change also, as I am still unsettled with my design so far,  and will toy with some ideas of different geometric shapes . With log construction, or post and beam construction at the center of it all. I just want open and exposed as one would say, or at least I would expect, as I have never been a fan of curtains, or window obstructions like shades, etc..  Instead I feel if one wants to block ones view inside from outside, then plants, on shelves serve as a satisfactory obstruction that is green and still represents nature, so maybe open shelves with plants are in order.
     I have always liked floor to ceiling glass and after visiting Frank Lloyd Wright’s houses in Pennsylvania and including ‘Falling Waters,’ and others he had worked on, I understand the architectural and artistic importance of light and openness of nature and how one should design with that in mind.
       I have one shot at this, and for me it doesn’t cost anymore to build expensive if you have the materials and ability, so I need to think outside the box into something where I can combine old world charm into comfortable modern living without leaving the farm . So today’s effort will be to stay inside because it is cold out, and will be for a week or more, and work more on designs and hopefully have something to show you next time around.




No comments: