Monday, January 12, 2015

top roof detail is wrong and needs revised

1-11-2015
Plans





      Well I actually have something for you to look at in terms of house plans when it comes to something different in terms of log cabin design plans. It is something modern, yet rustic, solar, or will attempt to be as just now I realized the high part of the roof‘s design does not maximize solar in winter time in its present arrangement. I have had to look several times at the house’s alignment and it appears to be facing due east if I am looking toward the pond as I want to be with a slight northward turn. This would put the sun on my left side or the south side without any windows in its present situation. I want any solar gain I can, so will reorient the windows and roof line to the south side of the house. It shouldn’t be a huge problem and in my little mind opens up some possibilities in design I haven’t contemplated.  The front half should stay the same, and the only real change I see is roof slant of the house.
      That is what sketch drawings are for. As well I am trying to group my plumbing by running the kitchen and bathroom in a back to back arrangement so plumbing should be in a straight line. Electrical shouldn’t be too bad as I can run multiple outlets in the same log run between logs or place in conduits that also have plumbing pipes in. As I sit here and think about what I am writing I realize there is a lot more not done, or to be considered than there is done, in terms of planning. I have been looking at what it takes to get a nice set of finished drawings together that are representative of what I am trying to build. These drawings only help me visualize where I am headed and are by no means my final plan.
       When you look at the plans and imagine as you pull in the drive this is the effect I am trying to achieve with the lower wall being of cordwood with mortar plastered in around it. Then it will begin log construction at about the four foot level and extend all to the highest heights of the walls. The interior will be open and all floors will be slab on grade, with integrated heating supplied by pipes embedded in the floor providing heat to the interior. A wood stove will also supply supplemental heat. If it is the type with windows will allow you to view and enjoy the open flame while at the same time provide you with efficient heat. And this can be run in a double walled chimney pipe , not requiring a regular fireplace chimney. This will be a major savings in work to be completed to move in.
    A spiral stair case will lead to an open second floor loft that connects to the little house by means of a walkway , and will also open up to a deck to the back side of the house. A greenhouse will also be included in the area under the overhead walkway which will serve as an umbilical for all the utilities to provide necessary linkage to existing services.


detail of a corner and what lower wall will look like.


    The whole thing is designed so that eventually after construction is complete I can move from one area to the next and begin a new phase of construction or destruction as the case may be, all the while continuing my day to day living. As I have designed the house with minimal needs of myself and one other, the effect will be an actual loss of square footage as compared to the trailer part I am removing. In reality I don’t need or use parts of the trailer today as I should and some is just wasted space. The open airy feel of the new structure should feel as if I have built a twice as large space when in fact it will be smaller.

    I have revised my sketch drawings but I am unable to have them ready to publish, but will be on the same order as what I am going to show you today. It takes time to make good drawings by hand and plenty of erasers. As I go along I am sure there will be plenty of revisions as I try to make things work. But as with most of life’s work, it all starts with a plan. More details will also become available to you the readers, as I pin them down or pen as it may be speaking in the literal sense. 

No comments: