Tuesday, August 11, 2015

starting to fill in

Vertical Wall in the Greenhouse
Or Are You Vertically challenged- Part 2.



 this was taken on 8-7 -2015 and is even more green now and the lace vine is blooming will update pics in a later blog 

         Well the vertical wall in the greenhouse is finally coming along and filling in quite nicely.  Also today, I will be drawing some attention to my rhubarb I planted earlier this year giving you an update of where I am going to go with that also. In fact I will be giving you updates also on my berries and how it is going with transplanting of them.
       Let’s talk about the vertical wall around the swimming pool and it is going great. The lace and trumpet vine I planted in these huge pots are performing quite well after a major cut back on the lace vine as I trimmed it hard to transplant it into the pots I had. This was done in an effort to get the vine where I wanted it, which was around the pool. There used to be two vines and they just went wild shooting roots in the pea gravel clean across the greenhouse. Then when I trimmed them I had to cut 10- 15 ft. of a root system going wild completely off the original vine. I did this on both of them. One made it the other didn’t. So instead I planted trumpet vine instead to fill in the lattice I erected. The lace vine is just now starting to bloom. The idea was to separate the pool from the rest of the greenhouse. It looks as though this is going to happen. It is starting to shape up. I will include some pics of how it is coming along. All this is done in pots and could easily be done on your patio or anywhere you want an instant green wall. Lace vine usually takes about a year or two to establish so if you want results now then the trumpet vine would be better. I had the lace vine I have about 3 years in a pot to let you know how long it takes to get a good start on them.  Also one must remember they are considered to be a noxious plant if allowed to be planted outside. Inside the greenhouse it can be contained. Outside it would spread and could easily crowd out other beneficial plants if not trimmed on a regular basis. The combination of lace vine flowers and trumpet flowers should make for an interesting green wall. I expect the wall to be even better next year as I doubt that the trumpet will be established enough to have flowers this year.
     Next up is the rhubarb. And this I will plant in a bed and will have about 25 rhubarb plants going into the bed. I could have forced these into better plants, but at times was lucky to get them watered. Some I repotted and they are doing great and are almost a foot taller than the former pot size. I know these pots are root bound and hope when I plant into a bed they will be able to snap out of it and store some food for the winter yet. Some plants look like I could start harvesting off of as soon as next spring. These were started from seed and grown in small pots. Except about 12 I have transplanted into larger pots. So far I have about a 75 percent survival rate, which is pretty good. The rhubarb is fairly hearty plant and this rate of survival reflects the nature of the plant. It seems to have customer appeal and is in limited quantities when harvest time comes around making it a popular pick of the season. I am starting a bed of them for pick your own. This bed and the bed for the berries will be in our old pasture along the upper side of the lane. Water can be accessed from across the lane and a storage tank I have will be located up the hill and filled with well water by a hose and then be able to gravity feed back down the hill to the berry and rhubarb beds and drip lines will be established to allow the new plant to have plenty of moisture when needed.
     Mowing will be accomplished by a finish mower allowing a smooth surface and wide rows to accommodate foot traffic from consumers on a pick your own basis. So far it will be berries, rhubarb, and berries, the berry varieties will be black berry, dew berry, black raspberry, and red raspberry. All these can be grown naturally and organically requiring no chemical fertilizers and will be grown in hay mulch that has been composted. The rhubarb will be grown in heavy straw mulch in an effort to prevent weeds and reduce labor. Asparagus may also be added depending on how much I can accomplish.  It also depends on the quantity of mulch or compost I will have available. So today I am going to mow this area off and prepare by discing in the area of the beds to eliminate weeds an break up sod. Considered plowing but doubt it will sink in ground due to dry conditions. and try and lay out these beds so I have an idea of how much compost I will need. Over the hill I have taken the hay from the first cutting and just piled it up to compost it where it sits. Need to let it compost down some so I can move it over the hill to the berry beds where I will need it.


that is a quarter laying there


     Being located next to the lane will bring back some memories of when I as a kid had to take pruners and go out and clear brush and can remember working in that same area cutting vines so huge that they hung into the drive and would scratch the cars as you went in and out. It has been a pasture field for a long time, and at times it was plowed. I made hay on it this year once, but now it will be converted back to berries and rhubarb due to its location, being located along the lane. I can harvest the hay early and park cars in the field directly across from it. I will just need a stand at the y where the lane splits and someone to collect money during picking time. I have berries I just potted up to transplant from behind the house. Also I plan on going through our red raspberry patch and thinning out the plants and re mulch those also. It is a well-established patch that would be much better and yields huge berries if well taken care of. I have been slacking the last couple of years. There is just so much to do. But I finally came to the realization that berries have yielded the best for us for absolutely no investment but our time to pick them over the years. Traditionally they have also been seen to do better when mulch and organics are applied to them to help hold the moisture and have it available in springtime when its needed to make huge berries.
      I looked at my resources and figured as I did years ago when I was starting to chainsaw carve. What can I do with what I have and make something more out of it, to be able to utilize my resources to my best advantage. Back then I had artistic talent wood and chainsaws and still have that but also now I have hay I can’t sell that can be easily converted to mulch, berry vines all over the place. I have berry bushes that were bought. But I believe if I was to transplant wild varieties also and if given the right conditions I believe they will produce as heavily as store bought varieties. With the wild ones I know they are winter hardy for my area as compared to the store bought. They say they are but you never know.

     Anyhow I have all the perfect storm components of a pick your own farm outlet for berries and rhubarb. Just need to get it done now. 

No comments: