Thursday, November 12, 2015

crossing the line!



Why Have Property Lines? 




       I guess after some news of my neighbor’s plight and a recent confrontation with another neighbor I find it is necessary to revisit the old complaint of respect for other people’s property and wishes. This is a common complaint not only expressed by myself but also by neighbors, and sometimes by those neighbors most guilty. Even myself I am becoming more aware of my past disregards for others property and have made changes to avert any problem associated with that.
      In regards to myself I wandered on to several neighbors properties searching for a lost heifer I documented in one of my earlier blogs. She was a pain in the ass and the last of my cattle I had and have now rid myself of for just this reason. There are no fences to speak of except electric fences I put up. And when a heifer gets it in her mind to go dancing in the middle of the state highway , it really doesn’t matter to her what stands in the road , a girl has gotta do what she has to do. The trouble was she crossed 2 properties who are absentee landowners and one is the city of Canton, and trying to find anyone there during off hours is almost impossible. Haste to control her ramblings was necessary to return her as soon as possible to our land. So I purposely crossed their land and still was unable to secure her. Had she been involved or was the cause of an accident, she would have been a liability to me and the farm. They could have sued us for damages. To build a fence to keep her in by herself would have been impossible she would find some way to get with other cattle; she was not going to be by herself. I am sorry but I needed to do what I did. 


       A neighbor over the hill lost a beautiful Tennessee walker due to a broken leg brought on by someone , another neighbor sighting in a 410 shotgun in the horse pasture causing the horses to run wild. Scurrying from one end of the field to the other causing the Tennessee walker to stumble and trip in a rut and he went down and broke a leg and the owner had to put the horse down as a result of this stupidity or vengeance for whatever, as I don’t think I have heard the end to this story. Well the owner of the land with the dead horse is suing the other owner for the loss of his horse.
      I had the opportunity to be able to acquire the horse manure from his property. For us both it is a win-win situation. I no longer have cattle and need the manure to make compost for whatever I need it for. Currently it is the raspberries I am trying to plant as well as for trees I am going to plant. Anyhow after the horse manure is mixed with rotting hay and then allowed to heat up, should make a really good additive to my raspberries as a fertilizer promoting good organics in the soil. It will leach the high nitrogen into the soil whenever rainfall arrives and naturally fertilize my plants. At the same time it does him a favor knowing he doesn’t have to worry about where to get rid of the horse manure. He also mixes lime into the manure to keep the flies down in the horse stalls and also it keeps the manure from getting to alkaline from all the wood chips and burning up the soil whenever it is applied to soil, like a garden. I am not only getting shit but good shit.


    I have also had some other dealings with this neighbor who lost a horse and everything is on the up and up. He is new but keeps good fences tries to be a good neighbor, and doubt he has started a feud with other neighbor as most of the people around him speak highly of him. He too is an absentee land owner only having horse barns there and twice daily comes and takes care of his horses. He is and his wife are very conscientious horse owners , taking all precautions with the horses, taking in rescues and trying to be responsible in all they do with respect to their neighbors. This guy is threatening action against the other owner who fired the shots as tempers flared last night and I can attest to something happening as I personally saw his horses running full tilt from one end of the pasture to the other and witnessing a large boom from what I thought was fireworks but could have easily been the neighbor with the gun shooting as both were in the same area. I was loading my truck with the manure while this was going on. But I thought the fireworks or noise was coming from another house as I watched this woman appear on porch and shortly after I would hear the boom and I assumed it was fireworks she was letting off instead it might have been the gun.
     Also the farmer who lost the horse, well his wife was walking through their pasture to get the horses when the same neighbor shooting his gun launched a volley of shotgun blasts in her general direction in her field. This is what prompted them to call the sheriff and two arrived and told the guy to quit shooting into the field but couldn’t tell him to quit shooting as the other owner has rights. Being they are absentee owners it would be impossible to say that he wasn’t trying to scare the horses purposely away from his property. Still one owner has a dead horse and the other has a civil lawsuit he will have to answer to. Why because one owner doesn’t respect the other. It is my understanding a 410 shotgun isn’t much good for much besides hunting rabbits and doesn’t carry much of a punch as a shotgun goes. It does make noise and scares people away as well as horses. How much sighting in or shooting at a target does one need to make the shotgun lethal to a little fuzzy bunny, I don’t know, but doubt it takes much, so why all the shooting for nothing? None of this makes sense .
     I just recently had a confrontation with a new neighbor who took it on his own to hunt my property without my permission by bow. He was already told to not hunt our property after talking to him earlier. He was not only on my property and jump and ran with his buddy after being spotted but he was also on another neighbor’s property who I know had not allowed to him to hunt his property. Well away from his own property the two hightailed it down towards their property but saw that I soon caught up with them, as I was going that way anyhow and just accidentally caught them hunting illegally. They stopped and waited for me.
    I asked him why he was up on my land hunting. He said something about a big ten point buck. I said well your land doesn’t start till way down the hill there and you are definitely not on your land. I originally saw you on my land hunting when I already let you know I don’t allow hunting and did it personally. He said yeah but it was a big ten point buck I took a shot at. I told him it doesn’t matter, if it is on my land, it is mine till he goes somewhere else. And he isn’t supposed to be hunted. If you shoot him and he is hurt, you still need to come ask permission before you trail him across my land. If you don’t ask me first I will prosecute you for trespassing. At this I asked him if he understood, I said you wouldn’t like it so well if I did the same to you, and  shot a deer and killed it on your property. Would you? Especially when we have already had this discussion.


     He was the first person to let others neighbors know that the five acres he had was his and not to be entered because he was going to hunt it. Our land is adjacent to his and I am sure an inviting place to hunt as I kind of let it go on purpose. Still because I am currently not using it for whatever purpose, it is still ours and under our discretion to be used as we see fit. Our rule is to not allow hunting. Why can’t people respect that? Why do I feel threatened every hunting season because I don’t have colors on to show I am human on my own land? I don’t remember growing up that way as daily we would head over the hill to get the cows to milk before going to school during deer season or whenever, we never had to have colors on or worry about anyone else on our property. Why can’t the idiots stay on their own land, if they want a farm in the country, to hunt on, then let them go buy it and leave ours alone? Why can’t people respect our property and wishes? My biggest peeve is that I have to post our land every 450 feet along the borders or at a feature to keep people out legally. This is not only stupid as if it isn’t yours, or you don’t pay the taxes on it then why is it so hard to comprehend that If it isn’t yours leave it alone. Not a hard rule to understand. Still it is the one thing our new society thinks they are entitled to. Be it someone else’s possessions, their land, their wildlife.  Why can’t they work for what they get?
     Playing dumb is no excuse, you know enough to buy a hunting license and understand and fill out the form and sign your name to it. Then you have enough sense to realize you need to be responsible for yourself. There is no excuse for hunting illegally. It is that time again and the deer are congregating on our property, and it is as if they know we don’t allow hunting. I consider our place a safe oasis for these deer and their last harbor before being chased on to the road before some unsuspecting motorist. If the bottom goes out and Armageddon comes around and the store shelves empty and I am in need of food, it would be nice to know their would still be game on our property to take when all else around is gone. I would have to be desperate but still you do what you have to then. Not now when it is just a game to these hunters, a kill game. Its great as long as it isn’t them.

No comments: