Sunday, July 27, 2014

whats up on the farm

How things are going on the farm.

pondering mid summer?

      The weather has been a big factor this year in how the farm is doing. We have had considerably more precipitation at higher intervals to prevent one from making hay. I am still on my first cutting and have lost a considerable amount of hay due to spoilage. But all is not lost permanently as I still removed the hay and added it to my mulch pile I was trying to make to finish the decomposition process. The old adage when they give you lemons make lemonade applies here. My decision to get rid of the cows I believe is now wiser than it was before. Hay was their most needed component to keeping them, and with this weather I wouldn’t have been able to keep them anyhow having lost half my hay due to bad weather and it  would have forced my hand to do again eventually what I had to do. In the end my primary goal for keeping the cattle was to make compost and in effect I am still doing that without the cattle.


      Some of the topsoil I have added my compost to has performed exceedingly well, and as well the manufactured potting soil seemed to have done well also. In some cases when left alone for a while weeds flourish greatly in my topsoil and show all the characteristics of being fed way to well. Thick heavy foliage abounds. When applied to a yard, will yield a starts of new grass in three days or less, and complete coverage in a couple of weeks. This indicates a soil that is well fertilized with enough organic material to encourage seed growth. I have plans of bagging my own potting soil as well as having bulk screened topsoil available. This may happen before fall, for fall seeding. If you are interested in either the potting soil or the topsoil just call and let me know.
     The bees in both hives seem to have settled in well with a flurry of activity and occasional bee beards growing on the hives as the activity in the hives  are speeding up due to increased numbers of bees and honey being made and a need to cool off the hive. I try to leave them alone but soon I need to enter both hives and see how well they are doing and judge the need to add more storage space for honey production. The buckwheat I planted served its purpose by providing ample flowering in its seed production. Multiple flowers on different areas of the buckwheat allowed the bees to forage on pollen created of which I observed multiple bees taking back to the hives. Overall I have noticed an increase in the number of bees here in the valley in different areas; I owe this to the hives I have placed there as well to the numerous wild flowers and berries in various stages of bloom.



    We have done well in again having a bountiful raspberry crop with huge raspberries. I need to expand these berry patches as they seem to do well without much interference from me except managing them to produce better. As well I have started a new campaign to plant a tree a day for the rest of my life here on the farm. It seems like a lot but in reality, but  if I live another 20 years it would only amount to about 7200 trees give or take a few hundred.  In the end this will more than make up for all the trees harvested in my name for different purposes like napkins paper plates , lumber to house myself , and toilet paper , making me truly a green person. I am lucky as the farm could easily absorb that many trees and many thousand more without yelling ouch. Yet this will only be a fraction of the trees harvested here over the years for a variety of different purposes,( coal, farming , heating etc.).

      Anyhow this is kind of where I am at as I reach a mid-summer reflection of events here on the farm. I am hoping to yet harvest more hay and sell some more trees as well.  I have done limited work on the cabin I was going to build here but plan on doing more with the remainder of my summer as well enjoy what time we have left before the weather begins to turn colder.

No comments: