Thursday, July 31, 2014

totem in progress

My Newest Project
the boss Babe overseeing operations 

       Always kinda excited about starting a new carving when I finally have it figured out in my head how it is all going to go. Well I would like to think I have it all worked out but sometimes it doesn’t always go according to plan. Knots in unexpected places proportions out of bounds, bad spots in the wood, and mechanical failure are all factors as well as my physical condition affect my input into what I think the project should look like. Yesterday I started a totem in a log I have been saving for a client that was salvaged from downed wood  from the Mineral City tornado. A piece of white pine approximately 12 feet in length and 2 feet in diameter will be used for the totem.
the log after just starting 


      My plan is to carve it in the Alaskan tradition. Totems were used as guideposts and marked territory’s, as well as provided information to fellow native tribesman as to what conditions one could expect as they travel through the territory. They would use eagles, fish, and bears, which will make up the first three heads displayed on the totem I am creating. The eagle will have traditional wings carved in the Alaskan tradition at the top of the totem. At the bottom of the totem I plan on including a human face, of course all of this in my style as I am neither Alaskan or a clever hoax and instead wish to honor their style and try my hand at a totem.

 the eagle head after first tank of gas 

starting the eagle 

      This is being done for a friend of mine with a good forgiving heart and has waited for years patiently for a payment in gratitude for what I owed in a moment of my weakness, and desperation. He came through and helped me and I never repaid him till now. He deserves this and a whole lot more, but this is all he ever asked for and even offered to pay me for it. Money is out of the question as I need to pay my debts to him and all I have wronged by my actions. I just hope this in some way makes amends for what I have failed to do when people have helped me.

eagle with fish in talons with no wings 

      I will not go cheap and give him less than I am capable of as I don’t work that way. All my carvings deserve and receive the best attention I am able to give them or I never get rid of them. Anyhow I plan on taking you on this ride with me and the carving. Over the next couple of weeks will cover from start to finish my version of an Alaskan totem. More on the process and what I am thinking will be explained to you as I am going along on the carving. Due to the height of the project, most of it will be carved on its side as it is over 12 feet in height.

bear 

     At this stage it i hard to distinguish to much and for your information the pictures are in order so that you may more easily follow me along as i carve the totem . thanks for your interest and hope you enjoy. 

No comments: