Friday, August 1, 2014

totem continued

Totem continued

bear defined more. didnt i do a good job on that paint brush ? 


      Well I managed to get some more carving done as I progressed on down the log carving the last face of a native Alaskan into the bottom of the log. The weight of survival in this hostile at times environment  and his dependence on that same environment for food in shelter in those especially hard times is reflected in what also feeds other animals dependent on the same food sources that the Alaskan  natives needed and bears down on his shoulders. They were honored in sign posts at critical points in a virgin forest to direct others or warn them  that natives inhabit the area and as well some of the wildlife that will inhabit the area. Or at least this is my impression of the understanding behind totems in general. I am no expert on totems and imagine I will learn more as I go along. Sad part it may be from reader response. Which is the nice thing about being in Ohio and carving totems, there isn’t an abundance of Alaskan experts on totems here, and I imagine I may have to eat my words on that one.
     But you see , upfront I say I am no expert and that at best my understanding about totems and the theory behind why they exist is in its infancy, I still did enough research to allow me to go ahead and carve this one and hopefully fulfill my commitment to the person to whom the carving is intended. All I am doing is explaining the best I can and taking you along for the ride as I progress on through the carving.
     On top will be an eagle and as we progress on down the log, next up will be a fish in the talons of the eagle. At this point I will insert that I plan to attach a set of wings to the back of the eagle. These will be of simple saw tooth design and the tips will be pointed down and are purely symbolic. Not meant to be realistic. The totems were all different styles and done in a variety of ways by primitive craftsman without the aid of a chainsaw and required quite a bit of intensive effort at carefully carving the huge trees with primitive tools.
       I am still using a regular 16 inch chainsaw and yet I am bringing out detail, yet I am able to curve the tip around and get the lines I want with just the without any special modification of the saw. Wait till I fire up my carving saw. In actuality there isn’t much difference as long as your sculptures are large, as the lines are longer that exaggerate the facial features. So if you have ever wondered if you were a good sculpture and wanted to try and carve then the larger the piece you do, the more detail can be brought out and at this point, then a regular chainsaw would let you economically try a carving on your own. Just get the smallest hard tip you can find. A roller bar tip will have a tendency to jump more, due to chain slap. Just make sure that chain doesn’t slap you and always hang on for your life.

alskan native head just being formed out 


      At this point I must caution you before everyone runs out and buys a chainsaw and cuts down the tree in the front yard and lands on the neighbors car, you rip the transmission out of your jacked up four wheel drive truck trying to pull the log into your backyard as there are way too may TV reporters in your front yard trying to identify the idiot that caused such a ruckus, that you feel insecure about your little project that you decide  to call it quits and instead  get on your I-phone and find the app’ I Sue You’ and blame me for the source of your problems. This is a warning, chainsaw carvers are experts and professionals at learning hard way from the school of knotheads . Please don’t attempt anything based on what I say, it is only informational and for the purpose of entertainment only. This is not a how to article.
      If there is a wrong way to use a chainsaw then I have done it with the exception of being drunk and even that is possibility as I did some pretty stupid things when I was young. I have quit drinking for years and understand that alcohol and chainsaws don’t mix. Mix your oil and gas but leave the alcohol and chainsaws alone. I still have all my fingers and appendages and no major scars inflicted on me. I must say luckily I have never been seriously hurt with a chainsaw. I respect them and understand in less than a second serious injury could occur. Death is always a possibility. Slim if you watch yourself but always a possibility.

whole totem as it appeared last night 


     You could slice your finger on a wood chisel and get an infection ad die from that also, a slim chance with antibiotics but always a chance. Chisels are more environmentally sensitive and basically require a similar effort in removing wood, and take significantly longer to achieve the same or similar results. I like to work fast and usually work in terms of a tank of gas on a chainsaw. One a day will yield  tremendous results, it is physically challenging but is a mentally rewarding effort that yields some very pleasing eye candy.

      After I finish honing those parts of the front features of the totem I will rotate the totem on the log it is resting in a downhill fashion rolling more log up to be carved and  this is when the fish will become more visible. Was thinking about a fish with 2 heads that would yield a continuous fish view depending on where you viewed it from? Instead I will probably just make two fish one in each talon as the eagle flies. A head and tail crossed in the front center of the log in each talon signifying a bountiful fishing harvest ahead. Or something like that. Hell just like the eagle I am winging it . just making it work, and having a good time doing it. Isn’t that what life is about. Do what you love!

No comments: