Sunday, October 12, 2014

hayride yesterday

The Hayride Went Well




       I guess a lot of people didn’t show up because they thought the donuts would be gone. That wasn’t the case and in fact I think we still have most of what we bought including candy for the kids. We did have a lot of fun taking time to carve pumpkins in a most dramatic manner. Whipping out my new carving tools and just having fun with the big pumpkin as I tried to get a handle on what I have seen on the internet lately. My effort as well as my nephews on another pumpkin was well planned but the execution was pale compared to some I have seen. I don’t think they are telling me all their secrets and in fact I have learned a few of my own after my attempt on my huge pumpkin. I was going to give it away but it weighs so much that I didn’t figure anyone would want it. No one asked and I am glad because I really didn’t want to shove it in the trunk of a car. I plan on doing some cranial surgery on him to extricate seeds to plant for next year’s big pumpkin which I plant to start earlier.



      We had a good hayride and although the colors had not turned as much as I would have liked to have seen, it still was nice to see the view from the top of the hill. Some trees had turned their colors rather well and others are just now turning. Our first killer frost happened early this morning and I believe trees will turn colors quickly as the leaves will begin to fall. Someone made the suggestion of having the hayride  again in a week , but my reply is sorry I have had enough for this year and need to finish sealing up the greenhouse for winter.



    Just a reminder this is the time to plant trees for next year. If you need some pines or other hardwoods, and want to create a screen to privatize your property , or you just want something to stick in those 4 wheeler trails to stop someone from tearing up your property , I have the trees for you. I have a few dogwoods of the white variety and some other ornamentals and plenty of blue spruce. All these trees including my arbor vitae need repotted this fall so would make you a good deal on the lot of them. Once I repot then the price goes up.



    If you don’t own any land and just want to plant a tree to do your environmental best then I can help you there also. I am still to come up with a place or a park that would allow people who want to offset their carbon footprint by planting trees. It seems to be a no brainer for the park system to allow planting of trees by outside individuals, so far I haven’t heard of anything local that allows that. We will allow you to plant in our perimeter here on the farm any number of trees you would like, whether you buy the trees from us or not. Still even some bare spots on our farm that desperately need trees is being held up from planting by Rosebud Mining and Ohio Department of Natural Resources, due to prior mining activity and failure to release overdue bond on our property. This prevents us from managing our property to its fullest extent and is becoming each year increasingly aggravating, as four wheelers and hunters continually trespass without proper permission. Planting a perimeter of thorny bushes and encouraging multiflora rosebushes to do their job is my highest priority to secure our borders here on the farm in a natural way. We have other areas though that could be planted if you still would like to do your part and plant trees.






No comments: