Monday, October 27, 2014

some paths are better shared

My Trip Home- a Few Ironies


 view from the lodge at Burr Oak 

    After arriving back at the main headquarters for Wayne National forest and planting trees, I had along with me a lunch I had prepared and was planning to eat on the jobsite, as that was part of what they suggested to bring along with you in the event you volunteered. Well it was over with before I had a chance to work up an appetite and so I decided to take advantage of a picnic table and a stroll around their grounds to see what it was all about and if I could find some interesting tidbits of information to share with you.

main facility at Wayne National park 


     The building and grounds there are quite impressive And it is a green building in the sense it appears to have solar panels that are taking up the majority of the roof as well they had some interesting plantings,  and an old fire tower  with an interesting sign on it . The sign was warning sign saying that levels of radio wave transmission were too high for human consumption, and to avoid the area within the 8 foot high fence that surrounded the base of the fire tower that had apparently been moved there Its vantage point in the bottom of a valley adjacent to the facility would never be sufficient to see anything, let alone a fire. Apparently this old fire tower was being used as a communications post for their cell phone communications or the sign was a scare tactic designed to keep unwanted peoples from climbing over the fence and climbing the tower. I guess it’s better than just a plain old keep the heck out, at least more creative.

the fire tower

     Although the grounds was a nice place to visit and apparently would cost into the millions of taxpayer dollars used to support it , it had no public toilets on the outside of the building, and the doors were locked after we left to plant trees for them. Yes they had a Port- a- Jon at the site but I was waiting to return to the main office building to relieve myself and was frustrated, as well as several other volunteers, that the building was locked as they had no official Saturday hours and there was no outside facilities to accommodate even the traveler let alone volunteers, who had helped them achieve their goals. Good old government spending as those that work their evidently take care of themselves and forget the taxpayers and supporters that make it happen.


    I ate my lunch under a really nice pavilion and relaxed but soon had to hurry off to find me a restroom. This too was an experience as it had a sign I found quite amusing as apparently they had a problem between customers trying to decide which receptacle to urinate in. Anyhow I thought I would share this sign with you as it shows possibly a reason the federal government in their wisdom decided it was in their best interest not to include public toilets at their multimillion dollar tax financed facility.

view from Burr Oak lodge


     From their I headed east on St. Rt. 78 through parts of Wayne National forest and although the leaves had fallen in places, splotches of late autumn color announced new and dramatic views that took my breath away in places. At one point I turned and headed to Burr Oak Reservoir having passed that way before in late autumn, and having a chance to see more invited me to change the route this time and view the lodge area as usually the views from the lodge are the best in Ohio parks having visited several of them. Burr Oak didn’t let me down as I stood on the back of the lodge and looked down over the hill to the lake and the painted hillsides and only wished I was spending more time there taking in the beauty that overwhelmed me. The lodge was modest and not particularly exciting in architectural splendor but its situation on the hillside and its accommodation inside gave it a rustic splendor that beckoned one to return and enjoy again.
view from vantage point at entrance


      To my amazement upon entering the park I was also greeted by a heritage festival that was ongoing and part of the reason I viewed the lodge after talking to some folks there. There was pottery and home grown woodworking with rustic materials that gave me some ideas. Beans and ham cooking over a wood fire with the smells and smoke of autumn were lending itself to an overall festive mood enhanced by a local country band and a hayride for free. I took advantage of all, and strolled through the area and climbed on a hayride and was soon touring the grounds at Burr Oak as we visited cottage sites I had at one time considered coming to visit and only wish I did. A lady and her husband on the ride told me that cabin number 9 had the best view and that a cup of coffee on a brisk fall morning sitting on the back of the screened in patio was about what life was all about, as squirrels danced in the yard and solitude and peacefulness only lent itself to soothe a tired old soul and renew your faith in life and wanting to see and experience more of the same. She also reminded me they had Putt-Putt golf for free that day, and that they were playing the Wizard of Oz in the main lodge at seven that evening and it was free for all to see as part of the celebration of their fall festival.



    That was my third irony I experienced that day, as when walking around I notice there was a chainsaw carver, of which I have limited experience, and then there was the park itself as I had been to Burr Oak before and promised myself to return someday here, over 3 years ago, only not to this particular place. I who played the Tin man in the Wizard of Oz, and who has a Tin man statue at the end of my drive should show up, or pass a place I visited before and that they would be playing the Wizard of Oz, only beckons me to return again. It was almost too ironic to see and experience all this, and wasn’t expected on a per chance visit. I toured the boat ramp area and stopped at a vantage point and took more pictures as I continued on out St. Rt. 78 for more breath taking gorgeous views from the hilltops of southern Ohio and it only encouraged me to pull over, but the road was too narrow and curvy to pull over take in all that was to be seen for miles on end of lavishing beauty. This state route is breathtaking and somewhat dangerous but should be on your list of must do things, to see and as you appreciate what lies in our own back yard so to speak. Only ride along don’t drive.

rustic furniture


     But my trip wasn’t over as I finally came to Malta on the Muskingum River and went north along the river to take in more of Ohio’s scenic beauty that awaits us at the roads edge. I scouted for fishing cabins and property I would want to buy as I drove along once again as I had done in the past wishing and hoping to fulfill a dream of sitting lazily by the river sketching, painting, or just plain doing nothing, but sleeping in the shade under a hammock on a hot summer afternoon letting the smells and the aura of the river ensconce my soul, and to re energize my inner rhythms of creativeness, as I let the river roll on by absorbing and collecting the wasted energy of life as it rolls on out to the ocean  and deposits it only to return again in a cycle of life.



       I too , returned again to my home place in some ways tired but still somewhat fulfilled considering all I had seen and did in a mere short 10 hours’ time and over 315 miles of driving, that at one point had me in West Virginia as I let the Map Quest pick my route there. Twice I crossed over the Ohio river and yet I safely landed back home. Life is good. Only wish I had someone to share it with, but I do have pictures.




No comments: