Friday, February 13, 2015

ch-ch- changes as life moves on






Still Changing Design

      Well i have made some modifications to my original design and would like to update  you on where i am at now. 







      I am still changing the design of the farm office addition as I go along in the design phase. I kind of like this design but I am still thinking snow and rain may be a problem at the foyer entrance. I was hoping I could bring the roof down from the higher section and encompass the foyer creating more of an open space feeling. The original floor plan is still intact as I originally planned it but when I look at the roof sections and what is aesthetically pleasing, I have a problem .
     The way this is designed presently would allow a high ceiling in the bathroom with glass block at about the 6 ft. level and extending to an 8 foot level and then windows at the 8- 10 ft. level facing east in the morning. This would allow a lot of light to enter the bathroom and allow privacy at the same time. The ample size of the bathroom would also include room for a washer dryer and some closet space to allow you to store towels and such, and maybe even have a wardrobe, so that when clothes are dirty or soiled, just take off and throw in washer. A sliding door on barn rails will open and close at the bathroom entrance giving you a rustic feeling and eliminating a swing problem. The hangers would be mounted on the wall of the kitchen and would add to the rustic ambiance to the structure.
       The sloping roof of the kitchen would be reinforced with post and beam rough cut lumber and would have a knotty pine ceiling and rustic barn lights featuring a mason jar chandelier over a fold down table from  the wall . An island will have adjustable table height to accommodate all sizes of users. The same with the sink, as along the back wall of the sink will be windows opening up to view Mom’s house or a north facing. The windows will be small and at a height from 6-8 ft. tall allowing me to look out from within, but would exclude viewing from outside in. The back splash would be tile along with maybe a wainscoting of galvanized steel roofing along remainder of the room at the base adding character to the overall rustic appearance inside. More attention will be addressed to interior once I have a firm understanding of how the outside roof sections are and what my design parameters are. I have a limited amount of space and intend to utilize all aspects of it to maximize my comfort and to keep travelling inside to a minimum in case I need to be wheel chair bound or others that may use it have the same design accommodations afforded to them .
     I am designing this not that I am anticipating any health problems, but instead hoping never have to use half of what I am proposing , but still have it available if I do. If I build it that way to begin with chances are I may never need it,  and hopefully that will be the case.
    Also in relation to my bed being designed so that it is raised and lowered to accommodate my height needs and being able to store it in ceiling. I now am toying with the idea of using it to allow me to access the second floor by simply having a hole in the loft area where I can lift the bed with me on it through a hole in the floor to the second floor in an elevator like fashion by simply laying on the bed and using a remote control to activate a winch to elevate the bed to the second floor height. Safety side rails would come down preventing someone from falling through hole when bed was on first floor level. When raised to second floor level height, another bed could be utilized by a Murphy bed situation where the bed could be folded down from the wall on the first floor level still allowing an extra bedroom to be used in case of company.
       This would allow me access to second floor without using stairs. The second floor loft area would open up to a walk out sliding glass door on the uphill side or south facing hill behind the house. In effect with the addition of the bed that raises to second floor level it would give me unhindered handicapped access to my second floor level and allow me to utilize the house completely even if I was wheel chair bound by simply maneuvering myself to the bed and laying down raising myself or lowering as the case may be from the second floor level to the first respectively with the bed. A wheel chair on both levels would be needed to accommodate my movements and allow me to live independently.
      I think as long as one can maintain their independence and live in their own house regardless of your handicap, that the quality of life is surely much better than any health care organization could provide. A large shower with a bench seat and a shower wand would allow me to bathe, tables and work surfaces that are adjustable to my height also should be a priority, open flowing paths allowing access to all parts of the house are priorities to include in the overall design. A security camera and remote door locks and motion sensitive lighting to allow only those areas where I am at to be lit when I am in them is necessary. So as I move from room to room I no longer need to turn on and off lights to accommodate my travel. An intercom system will allow me to answer door without actually having to answer it in person.
     The technology for a lot of this is already in place and just needs to be utilized in my design process. These are all parts of what I’m trying to think out and have on paper before I actually start the process of building. Another thought I had of utilizing the space under the stairs to accommodate drawers for storage of personal items I want to keep. Somewhere in the whole scheme of things I plan on having a lockbox that will be embedded in the structure that will be fire proof. Of course the standard smoke detectors and carbon monoxide protection will also be used to assure my safety as well as others that may inhabit my farm office. There should be plenty of room in the old part for a studio/office and that will be addressed later.
      Anyhow I thought I would update you in how the ongoing process is coming along and what my thoughts are currently.
    

No comments: