Tuesday, February 10, 2015

my fishing trip to new york


Getting Ready to Go 





Above you will find a pic of a carving I was taking to a friend in New York and in some ways I really like this pic as it is kind of surreal , almost to the point of abuse of carving as he does look like a lovable chap concealed away in the garment bag. This was necessary as I needed to check him in at the Amtrak station in Cleveland to be put in with the baggage, in the underside of the train.
     All went well on the trip except when I arrived at my destination in Schenectady, he forgot to get off and traveled one more station before train officials caught up with him and reloaded him on another train back to Schenectady. In the meantime I had to wait an additional hour and a half at my destination to assure he was returned as he was supposed to be. I did take out insurance on his grubby ass just in case he was damaged somehow in transit.
      Fortunately and I don’t think it has changed much but you can still board trains without baggage inspection in the USA. This was handy on another occasion as I had a chance to visit again and this time I was able to smuggle my carving chainsaw into a bag, along with the bar, minus the gas and oil of course, and transported it from Schenectady, New York, to Cleveland, Ohio without incident in the overhead storage compartment of the train.


New York River


      I did get a little nervous when I noticed a pair of INS, Immigration and Naturalization Service’s officers boarded the train around Buffalo, New York and begin a process of asking questions of passengers . I tried to remember to answer in full sentences although I was nervous about the chainsaw hidden in my bag. I avoided the usual Canadian answers of aye, and instead when asked if I was a U.S. citizen I answered yes , trying to avoid any suspicion of wrongdoing, or that I was an illegal alien. I mean really how many Canadians are trying to cross the border when they have it much better up there after stealing half our manufacturing economy.



         Before climbing on the train though, I checked the list of unacceptable items to bring on a train and nowhere did I see them mention a chainsaw. Even though in the right hands or wrong hands as it may be a lethal instrument. I drained the gasoline and oil out of it, and at the same time I also was carrying with me a carving I needed to finish when I returned home. It was a fish and I have a picture of it also, as I checked it to see if it fit in the carry-on restricted size allowed to store it in the overhead compartment.


 my friend sharon and i at a carving place in new york 


      Now that is something you don’t see every day, a man and his fish and chainsaw taking a ride on an Amtrak train. I was hoping the INS guys didn’t have any fancy instruments, or a dog that would alert to the possibility of controlled substances like gasoline. Seriously folks with all I had going on the way it was, I wasn’t dumb enough to carry anything illegal in the way of smoking material with me . I already had enough going on with the fish and chainsaw and didn’t need any more attention drawn to me. I smoked it all before getting on the train, as I needed something to steady my nerves.


 finished fish


     You never know with this post 9/11 crap going on what is going to be the next rule. I can remember my brother boarding a plane in the 80’s with a repeating rifle, and asking the stewardess where they wanted to store it. They were concerned but not to the point that they didn’t let him fly. He was ex-service and soon they were in the air , rifle and him, both headed for Ohio. The good old days I guess. Try that one now.

       Anyhow I will include some pics of the fish, and of the time I had in New York. Enjoy.

No comments: