Monday, March 30, 2015

an old dog's tale.

Tuck



     Tuck was a German shepherd / elk-hound cross mutt dog, I guess as some would say, but to me he was a friend and one of the best dogs I had owned in my life. He would stay where I put him, if it be in the pouring rain outside a bar on a dollar bet to just telling him to stay, or the same on the side of the road till a car passed and then forgetting to tell him to come and then look back to where I told him to stay and see him still sitting there obeying. A simple,” Come her Tuck”, would get him to my side in no time flat.
      For this I would give him privileges unexpected by other dogs, such as a run down a back country road in southern Ohio as I would just poke along in my old pickup as he ran in front of me. Sometimes we would go for miles up and down hollers as they say down there without seeing a car or even a house at times. If he saw a groundhog, he would immediately give chase, and sometimes he would get his prey. It was all natural hunting and later on when times were bad for me and money was short, Tuck would provide enough meat for himself and other dogs , just by hunting like this. He was really good at spotting the groundhogs and they sometimes never knew what was coming and sometimes farmers didn’t either.
      One time I was out with Tuck and I was out exercising him and he was maybe 30 feet in front of me as I rounded a corner opening up to a nice little farm homestead complete with a farmer sitting on the front porch of this quaint little perfect place, shining in a green valley, it was a dreamy story and half white farmhouse with a nice porch across the front, and this farmhouse stood in front of an old weathered barn behind and a perfectly tended garden on the far side.   Idyllic to say the least it was on my right side and it was early spring with the grass a bright shining green and the brilliance of the leaves shimmering in the cool breeze, along with aromas of spring rejuvenated your soul from a hard winter such as we had just had. .
      I noticed the old farmer was almost laying down in the old rocker as he slouched down and stuck his feet up on an old planter and was holding up the day’s paper as he lounged his way through the morning catching up on current events outside the realm of his property fences assuring that the words displayed would suffice for his lack of need to venture far and see for himself just what the world was up to. As if time or purpose meant anything to him so far out in the country. Still he was focused with his nose in between the folds of the paper. I watched Tuck as he suddenly lunged from a stiff walk to a full out run, stretching his legs as suddenly I realized he saw something and I quickly searched the direction he was headed to see if I could see what he was after.
      The road was perched up on the side of a hill and offered full view of the farm situated in the valley below offering clear views of the front porch, and the farmer and tuck tearing up ground looking as if he was headed straight for the farmer on the porch. I looked beyond the porch as I came out into full view of the panorama opening up before me as I drove on along on the road, and I could see the garden beyond and a huge groundhog standing tall in the middle of it.
       I looked at Tuck’s path and the garden, and I could see a straight line, as straight as an arrow across the farmer’s porch. I figured Tuck was going to have to cross the porch and the farmer to get the groundhog in the garden on the other side. I only took my eyes off them for a half a second to get my bearings on the road long enough to keep me from ending up in a ditch , only to see Tuck make a mighty leap and land on the side of the open porch in one large bound. The noise of him thudding hard on the low slung porch startled the farmer and quickly he responded by putting the paper down, and looking in the direction of the noise, but by then tuck was sailing right over the farmers outstretched feet sailing a clear 2 feet over them and in another thud landed on the other side of the small porch landing on the edge and lunging again for open air as he landed about 8 feet further into the air. I watched the old farmer as his head turned this way and that trying to catch up with the noise only to see the ass-end of my dog as he tore through his garden, blinded by the bright morning sun to watch Tuck grab a surprised huge groundhog by the neck and throw him in the air. Only to Tuck’s surprise that the groundhog was so huge, he hardly got him off the ground, as undoubtedly this groundhog and the farmer had a working arrangement, where he would eat all he wanted and the farmer would plant more for him.
    Regardless the fight was on and the dust flew and the garden was  getting tore up as I now focused on the road, having just missed the opportunity to drive off several times as I watched my dog in some rather complicated maneuvers doing things unimaginable to this farmers garden. I just drove along and acted like he wasn’t my dog and that I never saw him before till finally I was beyond the sight of the farm and the farmer not knowing exactly the fate of my dog or the groundhog, or even the farmer, as he undoubtedly thought he thought he was hearing things only to see the butt of a dog who wasn’t his, flying over his feet and then tearing off into his garden and killing a big old groundhog that had he had been feeding no doubt.
      I stopped the truck in the safety of a hidden cove of trees and whistled my familiar long whistle calling Tuck to me.  Here he come running down the road and up into the truck he went, as expertly as he flew over the farmers feet and landed in the corner of the passenger side of the trucks bench seat and looked at me as he took long breaths with a slight frothing at the mouth and looking a bit disheveled. He looked at me for a second as if he was saying, “Hurry up fat boy we better skate out of her”. That I did as gravel flew and soon he was leaning out the window looking for his next adventure as his hair flattened in the wind. .
     Now I don’t know about the farmer but as far as I am concerned, it was definitely something to remember, especially that old farmer wondering what was going on as old Tuck flew through the air and scared the heck out of him as well the fight and the eventual disappearance of the dog , in just the same time as it took for it all to happen. And all he had to show for it was a dead groundhog, and some damaged plants in the middle of his previously well-kept garden. I am sure he would have something to talk at church about the next Sunday and way more relevant to him than what was in that newspaper,  and something he surely wouldn’t  forget for a while.

No comments: