Thursday, March 19, 2015

its like a zoo out there, and here also!

Farm Update
3-19-2015


 Babe and Lilly having their morning oatmeal 


      Well I am moving along on a lot of projects from raising peeps to chickens so that we can have our own eggs here ion the farm to installing a swimming pool in the green house to planting veggies for the third annual open house here at Yockey Greenhouse here on the farm.
       Well first thing I intend to talk about is the progress I am making on planting of veggies. Of primary importance I have found a non-GMO supplier of seeds and found that in Toddsseeds.com.. a GMO seed is one that has been altered genetically for a variety of reasons altering forever the original heritage variety , mutating in effect what would have taken eons for mother nature to do it naturally if it ever would. All the seeds sold there are heritage seeds and arte certified to be non-GMO seeds. This also means if you were to save the seeds from the produce, you could in effect regrow the same produce year after year, with no additional purchase necessary, and you can assure yourself that you are getting time tested and proven seeds that will yield year after year, without the need to purchase new seeds yearly as you have to with the so called hybrids. A little secret about a lot of the so called hybrids and that they are just heritage, or non-GMO seeds just repackaged and claiming to be better than original breeds. For this they claim a higher price for nothing and get you to dump the seeds at the end of the year. In effect , having you create a need for more so called hybrid seeds.


panoramic view of work at Bolivar dam

      I will have 5 kinds of tomatoes as well head lettuce like you buy in the stores, peppers , of both green and yellow varieties as well banana peppers and some hot peppers. I will also have melons and squash. By the time the open house comes along I intend to have some other varieties of veggies I haven’t mentioned yet. I am also working on some innovative methods of growing tomatoes easily in a container type environment. I will be making a straw bale garden, and also a method of raising tomatoes where there are 2 cages with the inner cage filled with my compost and the outer cage filled with tomatoes in a circular pattern. This supposedly cuts down the need for watering as once you have the compost moist it serves to keep the tomatoes in the perimeter moist and supplies them with much needed nutrients while at the same time providing support for the tomatoes keeping the fruit off the ground. I am also going to try growing strawberries in tubes and feed them a nutrient tea.
     These are just a few things I will have going on this year. Also I intend to be open for 3 weeks this year, with daily set hrs.. So you can stop by anytime or you can call and still make arrangements to come and visit if you like. Again as I did last year I will be giving away a carved bear to some lucky person who enters the contest. The rules will change this year and I am still working on them to make it fair and at same time allow me to get the best benefit from my work. Details will be added later. I have quite a few petunias growing now and will have hanging baskets available again this year. These will be hybrid as I don’t think it makes much difference if flowers are hybrid or not, as we don’t eat them, although my bees will pollinate them and make honey off the nectar , still the small amount of hybrid flowers is inconsequential to the overall production of honey.

work on back side of dam 

      I will be adding more chickens to my small flock as I purchased 8 Rhode Island reds to help us provide free range eggs to our homestead. I will be feeding them in addition to letting them roam and will also train them to return to their chicken house nightly to avoid being eaten by predators. I still have my 2 retired chickens and have found that they take to herding quite well and hope I can train the young ones by using these older chickens to show the new ones the ropes. I just need to get a new chicken house built. If I see that we have an abundance of eggs I will let you know and will be glad to sell you fresh eggs as they become available.


concrete batch plant?

       I plan on adding a swimming pool to my greenhouse as I need to use it for rehabilitation purposes as water, or swimming has a lot of health benefits available to it, and with adding it to the greenhouse it will help condition the atmosphere inside the greenhouse, at same time allow greater flexibility and privacy that one doesn’t normally get with a backyard pool. If at the worse I have to abandon this idea , I will throw some fish in it and use the water to water and fertilize plants. Depending on our watering needs it may not be a bad idea to have a storable water source to assure I have plenty of water during dry times. I will begin adding water to the pool today. As I plan on being in it as early as May 1st. The sooner the better, as far as I am concerned. It seems every year it is harder to get through the winters and body aches, it will be nice to have some minor comfort I have found before with swimming.



rhubarb growing from seed

    So I have plenty of things planned for this year.  In addition,  I have also shut down my kevscarvings.com site since I am doing no carvings for anyone else but myself for the next 2 years. After I close the greenhouse for the year I intend to go full steam ahead on the foundation of my new addition to my house. I’m finalizing the plan and hope to have something soon for all to see. I still expect it to take me 2 years to complete as I had previously stated. Part of that is due to the drying of the wood I intend to cut. By my next birthday a year from Dec. 22 , 2015 I intend to be living in the new house. If you never make plans then you never have anything to change, but then again you never have nothing. I would rather change my plans than have nothing. Keep watching for more details as I go along.


these are my peeps

No comments: