Tuesday, November 12, 2013

buzzard barn is no more.

Bet You Thought Something Happened To Me


buzzard barn on Moffit Street is no more.  




     It did, I grew a couple of days older but don’t know about wiser, and of course I took a few days off from writing.  I needed it but it doesn’t make much difference as you would think I would come back full of ideas about where to take you the reader next. I am looking at 18500 hits on my blog here soon and will be within striking distance of my goal to have 20000 hits, with the last 10000 coming even faster than the first 10000. All thanks to you the readers.
    Another goal of writing a years’ worth of blogs will also soon be achieved, currently I believe I have 327 blogs and need 365 to say that I have wrote for one full year . one of my goals when I started this blog. If you can remember I figured I would write for 1 year then I knew I was capable of writing a novel. Well sometimes I find it harder to write daily than write a novel. I have wrote a novel and I did it on here and  anyhow after nearly two years of writing  I hope to achieve by my birthday in a little over a month, one of my first goals with blogging. . This will require me to blog daily from here on to my birthday to meet this goal. Haven’t really sat down and figured if I have enough time but will see where I am at and figure it out shortly. If not I will give it one heck of a try.
      Again all this is attributed to you the reader of my blog. If no one would have ever read what I wrote and I admit some days were pretty lame, much the same as todays might appear to you. But if no one would have ever paid attention then I would have never made it this far, having gave up long ago. I watch the response I get by how many hits I get for a particular post I write, and some have been much better than others. I had a good following when I was writing my novel online and that was fun and a challenge to daily get up and create the equivalent of 4 pages of manuscript.  Something I had never done before and in the time span of 2 months I was able to write a 450 typed page manuscript. It wasn’t that great but it was an experience I am going to take up again here soon for another try. But not until after my birthday and after I accomplish a couple of the aforementioned goals, will I get around to starting a new novel. Again it will be online and it will be on my blog. Leann and Guy may be in for another environmental awareness adventure.
       Next up is a disturbing trend I have seen around here lately as many of our timber frame barns are being tore down to make flooring for high end homes. They are looking for the last traces of virgin timber our area has to offer. It just happens to be in our barns.

the same buzzard barn on Moffit a couple of days ago


       Let me say this is if a barn is falling down then I say more power to them, if they want to salvage the hardwood material out of it as compared to just letting it rot to the ground. Then go ahead it is acceptable to me.  We had a barn that they bought to reclaim and it was to the point it was a safety hazard, and needed to be brought down or set afire before someone was hurt by it. I would have rather seen this than let it go to nothing. At least there was some good come by it.
      But lately it seems as if the barns are still in good shape and with roofs on them that would sustain them for quite a while , and yet they are falling victim to the reclaimer’s as hardwood flooring must be taking an upswing and prices paid for the barns must be better than before. Three barns on Moffit Drive outside of Waynesburg on one road within a mile of each other are no longer there. Each barn looked as though they had limited if any damage to them that would require their demolition.  Yet they are gone forever. Not even to be replaced and it would be near impossible to replace these structures. Cost alone is prohibitive when it comes to replacing barns of this caliber. Post and tenon timber framing is a thing of the past. It requires intensive labor and is cost prohibitive when it is much cheaper and easier to go with the standard pole barn of today.
      I am sure the owners of these barns would like to have the right to do with their property as they see fit. And understandably so I think they should, as I would want the same. But still this is a blight on our countryside, a growing cancer so to speak, that will undoubtedly grow more as the economy improves. More good barns will son fall to the wrecker’s hands and we will undoubtedly lose forever a piece of our areas legacy.
      We can’t save everything and one thing for sure is change, it happens daily. Not sure what can be done or what should be done but an understanding and an admission we have a problem here is the first thing to do and discuss what can be done to correct it.  If nothing else, and you are the owner of one of these barns, allow someone to come and document in pictures the structure and its location , so that future generations will appreciate any existing structure that may be around in their times . Do this before you sell the barn to the reclaimer. There are some barn restoration groups that exist in Ohio and may take an interest in your barn. If nothing else they may be able to give you an idea of what your barn is actually worth in terms of a historical or replacement value.  
      Some of my best childhood memories happened in the barn. The time grandpa and I laid back on the hay as the rain pounded on the tin roof of the barn as he talked about the old days and building those barns. His voice trailing off as he would soon get groggy and was soon snoring away. Of course all farmers know what to do when it rains, and that is let it rain. It’s going to anyhow.


No comments: