Thursday, August 7, 2014

day 4 or 5 into carving

Another Day Carving on Totem


i used Babe as a reference and she is 3 foot long to give you an idea of how large the statue is 

      Well not a whole day but would say that carving of totem was the highlight of my day. In actuality I only spent an hour but was able to define the figures or heads, as well the fish also, so that they are more recognizable. I still haven’t flipped the log to work on other areas but I believe I will do that today as I continue the process. After flipping the fish will become more apparent and I can begin to look at the wing mount.
      I am kinda torn on the wing mount as I kinda like the down-turned wing span, much like a real eagle. This is entirely possible in the Pacific Northwest as log sizes for carving can easily be found in the four foot diameter sizes; I am limited to 2 feet and under. Options would be to just carve a support pole for the back and add wing pieces that would flop in the high wind. They could have a flexible sturdy screw lag eye-bolt attachment hidden in the carving by a v-type arrangement and would hang vertically and in high winds would deflect up reducing the chance of the totem being pushed over by the wind. I have seen many totems with wings that were more symbolic than real looking, as these would be.  When painted would look more in the totem fashion. I am thinking about purchasing a 2x12 pine board and carving it in the fashion I want. The totem and the wings would be of the same material and therefore there would be no notable difference and even less after I finish painting.

native man 

      So when I turn the log on its side I need to have selected a support beam to hang the wing panels off of. I will then need to carve the wing support notch in the back of the totem after I carve the wing support out. I will need to select a tree from my stockpile and get it out so I can begin to carve the wings for attachment. I am looking at piece of wood that needs to be at least 8 foot wide  and a foot and a half in diameter, as I lose a foot and a half in overall width due to notch support and I want a 3 foot minimum wing span on either side of totem, giving me an overall width of seven and a half feet. I need to keep the proportions slimmer as it reduces the ability of the wind to act on the totem pushing it over.

bear

     Even when carving safety needs to be considered. Little kids like to climb and it would be nothing once seeing all the toehold and hand holds to have a kid try to scale the totem. This could be tragic. I love my carvings and really like kids and hate to hear of accidents, especially from something I am trying to create so safety is always important. A carving this size has to have a safe attachment capable of resisting any movement. Lag bolts with eyes attached to anchors embedded in cement, may be what is necessary to hold this carving in place safely. I am still working on how to anchor it down in a most efficient way but believe the way I suggested may be it. Still any carving that is top heavy like this always needs special attention. Also the concrete has to have enough mass to prevent over toppling as well. This will at last be the responsibility of the owner of the carving as it is his. I will make the recommendations but ultimately it will be his responsibility to assure the safe placement of the statue. This statue may go over 800 lbs.

fish

     I have went so far as to glue a statue down in front of the Road House restaurant  in New Philadelphia, Ohio where a carving of mine resided for years but has been taken down and its remains I am not sure of . Gluing was necessary because of a child  who visited the restaurant, did just as I said before, and climbed the statue, and since there was confusion over whom was responsible for gluing the statue down  almost led to the kid being hurt. The top part of the statue started to come down on the child, but the child lost its grip and fell first on to concrete. He wasn’t hurt but still a lesson learned. Never assume anything. In this situation I was paid to place the carving in a specific location and it took six guys to get it there. The responsibility of gluing it down went to the contractor of the new restaurant and he overlooked the gluing of the statue. That could have been tragic. You cannot assume anything like parents watching their kids anymore. You need to always be on your guard. This statue weighed around 600 total pounds and stood over 5.5 ft. tall. His name was Andy Armadillo and he was the mascot for the Road House restaurant. I will include a picture of the statue.

eagle 


Andy Armadillo with fake hat on opening day 

      Even while public carving I once had a child of about 8 years old  walk in behind me, even behind a safety fence and ask me a question while his teacher was somewhere else at a logging festival. I was busy carving, but  to look up and see a child where he wasn’t supposed to be, just a few feet from where I was carving was a bit nerve wracking. I yelled at him and he cried but oh well. Since no one else was watching him I guess it was my turn to correct him. You can’t assume anything, and even now I still try and watch people out of the corner of my eye, because even adults have little sense about what I am doing and how dangerous it could be. If I didn’t know you were close and suddenly turned around to see who was tapping me on my shoulder I could easily cut that persons arm off as I swing around with the chainsaw in my hand. It wouldn’t be a good day for either of us. So if you are ever watching a chainsaw carver wait till he takes a break, then talk to him. 

Andy without mascara on 


No comments: