Saturday, August 16, 2014



Last Post Till Next Monday

fish and bear head 

      So today I managed to work another tank of gas through the chainsaw, an echo of yesterday, all the while moving closer to my finishing the sculpture by an alleged date of Sept 20th. Complete with paint and sealed ready to be delivered the next day to my client hopefully. It is an Ohio potlatch party and will take place in evening at the greenhouse. It is basically a bonfire , BYOB, BYOB, and bring your own chair, will have benches of boards available. I pretty much don’t provide anything but a great place to have a bonfire, music and a totem with a lot of pretty plants to look at and a pond to view. The reason I said BYOB twice is that I was inferring to bring your own babe or boyfriend, and the other was bring your own booze. Other words could easily substitute and other situations might arise, but whatever the combination, please come, and have a good time. The potlatch is the official transfer of a totem to the intended, and is done in ceremony of a party. I am doing it so those who have followed my blog and want to see the finished totem in person will have a chance to view it before it is transferred.  A time to get together and enjoy the surroundings and conversation over an open fire and I must remind you that this will be no buckeye burning man festival yet. Although I might sacrifice an old bear sculpture.
     Hopefully I am giving myself enough time to allow this to happen. Taking time off to visit Cleveland to attend an Art Fair at Edgewater Park  and also to view Cleveland Art Museum for my first time , and have been excited about seeing it since I talked to my psychiatrist and he suggested my going there may be therapeutic , I’m heading straight for the Picasso’s. Nothing like some mind bending.  In the end he suggested a lot of things, but I think he is just picky.
    I was able to roll the log over and do more detail on the other fish and scaled the body of the fish with the chainsaw. These are done laying the chainsaw at an angle when making the cuts. Almost using the side of the tip instead of the width of the chain as if it is just being sat on a piece of wood, this allows for a slope to be placed in the wood and sometimes defines the edges better. You try to blend the lines in the form you are trying to bring out of the wood. Once you are finished a quick hit with the grinder and they appear much more realistic and pleasing to the eye. Other finishing work is being down to the rear of the statue. Also I am making preparations to slab the wing piece. Have a good weekend will be back Monday.
   
eagle 






No comments: