Tuesday, August 19, 2014

just a walk on the beach.

Sorry Long Weekend!!!!




     It was a beautiful day to enjoy the Lake Erie waterside and beach although I didn’t swim. Looked a little cold with the white caps of about 2-4 foot waves pounding the beach knowing full well the water may be warm but you would freeze  your ass off coming out. I have been to Edgewater Park before when it was not so nice, but this time I must say it was an exceptionally well managed beach in the heart of Cleveland. Very clean, even around the edges as I call them, fringe areas that catch trash like the boulders on the break walls. We had to search for a clean seat to sit on the fishing pier though, that wasn’t stained with night crawler droppings or who knows what. But we did find one not being used and sat and just enjoyed the sun for a while.



     We took a walk to the top of Edgewater Park and viewed Lake Erie from up high, and we were entranced by the aroma of the air as a certain nautical scent overwhelmed and cooled us in its heavenly breeze.  After a brisk walk back to the car and driving around in circles looking for a place to park and finally being able to start up the GPS to take us to the Cleveland Art Museum. As we arrived there I was totally amazed by this place. It is vast and has valuable collections dating 5000 years ago or more, of art historical objects. Space is limited by the vast displays they have available. I would give a full day to just viewing the museum and it is free. Paintings, as well examples of furniture  describing where paint comes from were all included  and only a part of the tutorial I received in the exhibits I saw.



     Took some time off for personal reasons but jumped back in the swing of things this afternoon. I did manage to get some carving done on the totem and I am nearing that point where I will have all the bark off the backside and have it incorporated into the totem as I extend some of the figures three dimensionally, giving the carving depth to define the caricatures I have evolved. I also took all the limbs off the piece I am going to slab the wings out of. Plan on screwing the board into the log to use a guide, or straight edge when I decide to slab the log, but my largest chainsaw acts like it needed a sharpening so I postponed till tomorrow so I can sharpen the chain. I have done slabs like this before and it can be time consuming with mixed results. I am looking to trim a pretty good size hunk off. Spent another 2 hours working and accomplished a fair amount and can say I am pretty close to being finished with the chainsaw on the head of the native at the bottom. Still needs sanded.



     Anyhow will include pics of totem of course and look forward to tomorrow. 


No comments: