Thursday, November 6, 2014

back in the good old days

Child Labor?

my grandpa on right taking down information on a rainfall study 

    I was going to go back and pull the old stories out of what I have already wrote and decided that would take too much time, as I have wrote a bunch on here and exactly where the story is, even I am even not sure.  When I started writing here in this blog I was kinda hodge-podge about this and that and no real order to things. Just wanted to get the stories out of my head, but since I have this timeline I can refer to and tweak as I go along. I intend to try and stay the course and follow it, and if I can’t follow it I intend to come back to it after I deviate for whatever reason. In the meantime and if you are really energetic and have been following my stories, it will give you a chance to go back and see if I can tell the same story twice and call me on it if you like. It may not be word for word but I am sure the facts will be the same.
      My first real job I ever had was working for the government as we referred to it then and in particular the Forestry Service and although it was unofficial since I was a bit underage, still I received compensation and at the same time performed a service for them. Which for the most part constitutes work in the simplest form, you labor and receive wages.
     To put it in context I need to impart with you exactly how I ended up working for them. My grandpa was a foreman with the Forestry department and they had a research plot of land of 165 acres they originally did soil experiments on. This land was adjacent and next door to grandpa’s, and the right of way for it crossed grandpa’s land. They did experiments on this land to determine how fast water would move through different types of forest soils. They originally started the experiments before grandpa was working with them, but had trouble accessing their property through the right of way they had provided themselves. Needing a new way to enter their property required a new right of way through grandpa’s property and this is where I think grandpa ended up working with them. In exchange for a right of way he was offered a job.
     This was great for him as all he had to do was drive across his property and he was at work, heck he could have just as easily walked as I did many times in my life from the time I was just barely able to get around by myself. I remember walking up there after I seen they were working on the lane that exists still today and is now a public road used to access the property , and I would watch the equipment like a dozer, as it was used to cut out the road and would follow their progress up into the woods as the road progressed. Once when I was following them and they were not aware of it, and I was only about 5 at the time, I heard the dozer clanking through the trees. I became scared as a tree fell one way and then another as they used the dozer to push them over to make way for the new road. They didn’t know where I was and I hid behind a tree and only came out after the dozer had passed and then the dozer and the clanking stopped and I could see men on the dozer looking back at me in the path they had ju8st created, then I saw grandpa climb down off the side of the dozer and head back to me. He was pissed that I had hid behind the tree and he let me know it, as no one was able to see me and they could have pushed a tree right down on me. He scolded me and told me if it was ever to happen again to just come out and scream and wave my arms to let them know I was there.
    But I felt as a rabbit must feel when it is about to encounter danger as they hunker down and hope for the best till; it passes, I think it was just instinct and luck that day I wasn’t run over by a dozer. This didn’t stop my quest for wanting to see what was going on up there, soon morning after morning I would get up and head up to the woods, and watch them as they would clear brush and make paths and dig big holes in the ground to run experiments in.
     Grandpa’s job allowed him to have me visit reluctantly, as they saw there was no real way of stopping me,  and at times when he had enough of me he would send me to the house, or put me to work doing little jobs he would make up to keep me busy. Other times other workers such as scientists and college students who took an interest in me would take time to keep me informed as to what was going on. Soon I was a fixture up there and everyone thought it was great that I showed such an interest in their work and that I was able to do so much, being so young. They would teach me to count, to read thermometers, and tensiometers before I even knew what they were for.  Also they were teaching me how to read way before I was even going to school. It was great that they took time to include me in their work. And I felt they enjoyed having me around. Grandpa was proud of what I was doing and to have me accepted as one of the gang so readily.
     As I said before my real dad had taken off at this point and these folks were stepping up and showing me more than he ever could have, and I was eager to learn and fill that void of not having him around. I was soon cutting steps into hillsides and placing gravel from coffee tins, I would retrieve from piles up the hillside. The steps would help the workers negotiate the steep hillsides and I imagine you could still see their imprints today, although the dams they were building to hold water have been removed. They would pump water from streams and use it to create artificial rains on the hillsides and then measure when the water had saturated the ground, how fast it would move through the hillside soil. This information was used to create maps that would judge how much water one would have to have in terms of rainfall before flooding conditions would occur and the effects of those conditions on the soil.
    This information is still being used by various governmental agencies to design water holding capacities needed based on runoff predictions, based on work they had done on water percolation. Important stuff at the time and information badly needed to design new developments and dams and stream protection. My job was more in the safety aspect of the workers, as I would build steps in the hillside by digging with a small shovel and creating a flat spot and then coating it with pea gravel, a big job for the little guy I was back then. It kept me out of their way and I would occasionally see one of them as they would stop by and spend a few minutes talking, or explaining what was going on as they headed to check the pumps or do whatever. I never expected anything for my work and would at the end of the day group around my grandpa with the rest of the guys, as he would tell what was going on tomorrow or discuss work they had done that day. And on Fridays my grandpa’s boss would show up and pass out paychecks, and someone told Dick, as that was his name that he forgot my paycheck and they all laughed thinking it was funny.
      Well the next week the same thing happened and Dick showed up to pass out paychecks and when he had finished he turned to me and said Kevin here is your pay as he swung open the back door of an olive green Plymouth station wagon, and in the back seat must have been a half bushel basket of day old cupcakes he had picked up at a bakery. They were all wrapped up and I couldn’t believe my eyes. I mean after all mom was raising us on green beans and creamed tomatoes out of the garden usually served with a little piece of meat , because she didn’t have much more, and to see all these sugar coated goodies in one place was more than I could imagine as it was something we didnt get very often. I scooped them up and me and grandpa took them home to share with the others while everyone laughed about how I was just a kid working for the government now, and how they had paid me with day old cupcakes no less.
      Unfortunately and looking at in perspective, things like this don’t happen now a days and if they did the press would have had a field day picking at this one. I mean a five year old boy working for the government being paid day old cupcakes no less, let alone child labor laws, and my age to boot. I could just see the headlines now. Obama puts white youth to work straight out of diapers, as he enslaves yet another white folk in retribution for years past.

     To me it was my entertainment and information center that kids today, my age then, still don’t get these chances and was better than any computer, or book or TV program that I could have experienced at that age. Since my birthday was late in the year I was actually a young five and the next year would prove to be even more informative as I still had another year to go before I entered school. I had to wait till I was six years old which meant I had another full summer to work for my grandpa and it was a summer full of happenings. I actually felt more privileged than my brothers who were older and already in school, as I felt I was learning far more than they were, from being around all those adults.  

No comments: