Wednesday, November 19, 2014

cows or stupid humans?

Part 4
Who is crazier?



pic of charolais cattle - crazy cows





      One time a friend of mine came along me to feed cows while working at the Apple Creek farms.  I decided on my own to show her how I could call cattle. Now calling cattle is a little bit of an art, and if they don’t come you might as well give up. But usually I can go just about anywhere there are cattle, and have been known to call some I have never seen before and without fail I can get their attention. Heck, if I had some grain I think I could sweet talk them into a butcher shop if need be. But I hate to waste my talents in such a way. This lady that was with me was already from a farm. She was a fellow student whose parents were well off to say the least and in fact they owned a 250 cow calf purebred Charolais farm. Now Charolais cattle are blonde and dumb, and no doubt cattle calling would have been wasted on them but still this lady grew up around cattle and never experienced anything like I was  about to show her.
     We had just received in about 104 head of mixed steers into the farm for feeding out on grass which we had in abundance, they came in weighing about 650 – 850 lbs. apiece and I was feeding them grain in the field on the ground from the back of the old hearse van I used to haul students and whatever around in. Amy and I were alone out in the field and the cows were nowhere in sight, and she asked if we were going to drive on out and see where they were. I told her no, that this should be good enough, and I started to unload about 400 lb. of feed and just spread it out on the ground in a long line. Amy then she asked if I was going to walk out and herd them in, as she had never been out here with me before, and couldn’t figure out what I was doing. I said no, we will stay here and you just watch. I told her I was going to call them in and she said no way. I said to watch.
    I bellowed suck-cow just as it sounds and always as I have heard real loud and waited. All 104 head of cattle  popped up over a hill in the pasture on the first call looking for the world like Indians in a western film and in a few minutes all were standing side by side and then as  if on command I yelled suck-cow again, and all 104 head burst forth instantaneously and  started running furiously for us in a stampede, the dust bellowed up behind them and some stragglers were left behind but, for the most part it was an all-out race, or die, for the rest, to be the first one to get the grain. When they started their run, they were about 600 yds. away, and as they neared to a football field length away from us they were still coming strong and Amy grabbed ahold of me and hid behind me scared. I started laughing and she must have thought I was a fool to just stand there, we were at least 25 yards away from the old hearse and safety, and they could have easily over taken us. I stood my ground and just watched them and calmed Amy down saying I know they will stop. The steam was rolling out of their noses as they neared and were breathing heavily, but suddenly as they neared they began to slow to a walk, and then a reluctant shuffle, as if they were afraid of me.  But by that time they had come to the feed that was between them and I. their heads went down and eyed us suspiciously as usual, and went about eating the feed on the ground.
     Amy sensing the danger was over popped out behind me and just watched in wonder as they spread out and commenced to eating the feed fervently until all traces of the feed were gone and after some milling about had returned to eating the lush grass before them. She said she had never seen anything like that. In actuality it was the first time I ever saw them spread out like that and run that fast, but it was the neatest thing to watch 104 head of cattle bearing down on you. The only thing I was missing was a horse, a six shooter, and a cowboy hat and I would have been in a western. They would have killed us if they ran right past the feed and over us, but I knew what made them run and that was the feed as I had watched similar exhibitions from the cattle before, here and other places. I had been feeding them all along for about 3 weeks prior to that day, and they were familiar with the sound of my voice. Amy’s parents and their Charolais cattle would have surely ran over us and kept running for at least a couple of hours. I hated anytime we had Charolais cattle at the Apple reek farm, as I saw one jump a six foot high fence running up hill. Others and I, that day could not believe he cleared the fence the way he did. The Charolaise were just plum crazy, and only fitting at the crazy farm but like I say thankfully we only had a few. Amy’s parents had 250 of them. I couldn’t imagine what life was like at that farm or what kind of fences they had to keep them in. Good ones for sure.
     Now appearance wise and if you can keep them in the Charolais are a very pretty muscular animal and a great beef breed out performing other cattle. But I guess it is a tradeoff, you either get great beef and crazy cattle, or docile and slow gaining cattle. Pounds are the name of the game in finishing beef. You need to put those pounds on the cattle daily and get them to the butcher as fast as you can. I am so glad I am not into raising beef any more. I have seen some large farms and at one farm I where I was employed, we had over 250 cow calf pairs on six acres of feedlot. This is the next series of blogs I am going to write, and in that I will explain a little more of that cattle business. Nowhere in either of these jobs did I ever get rich though, and having barely enough money to go around was the norm and not the exception. The only way you could ever think about making money at farming was to own your own farm. Unfortunately no one was giving any away. So it would require a major investment for a lifetime to get into farming. And at the time cattle prices were still not that great. It was just too much for a young farmer to even think about having your own farm. It would have been nice to be able to work with mom and dad as an option but it never was, as me and dad obviously never was able to get along till he had Alzheimer’s and then he was a bit more sociable at times. By then it was too late. I was already getting old myself.
     So there you are, you never make any money working for farmers because they are always broke and can barely pay the bills, so to hear them speak. And you can’t work with mom and dad as they never want to relinquish control over the farm or to allow you to leverage it and get a loan to start farming, that is till they can’t do anything themselves anymore. By then like I say it is too late. A day late and a dollar short seem to be my motto at times. Think I should have gone to art school. I tried farming several times and find myself to soft hearted to animals I easily make into pets. And once you name them that in itself is the problem. It’s hard to take old Sally to a butcher shop and then eat a T-bone from her.

     Now I can take a worthless pine log most people would normally let rot and I can carve it into an animal shape and make a couple hundred dollars off something like that. It is almost pure profit. I never came close raising cattle to the success I have had carving. Had I started earlier when I was able to carve easier and didn’t have the health problems of a bad back, it is hard to tell how much better off I would be? Hindsight is 20-20 vision they say. You can easily see where you went wrong after you do it. But when you are doing whatever wrong it is you are doing, you think it is the best you can do and you are doing right, and sometimes you just do wrong because you have no choice.  Oh well, I guess setting goals and not being disillusioned or side tracked is important also. It seems I did a fair share of being sidetracked also. My varied work experience opened me up to a wide variety of jobs and gave me a lot of experience and a lot of confidence on taking on almost any project, but I was moving from job to job all the time. I was beginning to party and drink and smoke my way through school also.
     I was pretty confined here on the farm and finally getting out and having friends who wouldn’t leave me alone , kind of made me a party animal at times and soon it began to get ahold of me affecting my work till I was bored with a job and moved on for one reason or another. I was young, dumb and I forget the last part of that probably due to loss of brain cells from drinking in my early years, and I guess in ways I needed a good woman to settle me down and even back then I was having a hard time finding Ms. Right.

      So as I go on and on, and I find myself at one point tonight not feeling like I have enough to say here on the blog,  and at another, saying too much so will wait for another time before continuing. 

No comments: