Tuesday, November 4, 2014

it is a hard just remembering all the jobs i have had

Jobs I have had in Chronological Order.

me carving yesterday at norma johnson conservation center

       In continuing with the jobs I have had and ones that were dangerous I thought I would list to the best of my ability all the different jobs I have had and the approximate years I was employed with them. Very few jobs except maybe one I had I was fired from instead I was usually laid off due to lack of work or I quit for what I thought was a better job or I was injured while working. It’s an extensive list and quite a wide variety of different jobs, some I loved. After completing the list I will go back and try to point out different stories I remember from each one of them. I also plan on beginning when I first started working and that was when I was 5, and started milking cows so I could have fresh chocolate milk. True story I will relate later. I have also included the pay I received for the quantity of labor I offered them to reflect how much wages have increased over the years.
      Working on the farm here and at my grandpa’s started in 1960 – to date on a full time and part time basis with interruptions but not very long.
U.S. Government- Dept. of Forestry-1960- worked for day old cup cakes
Jake Hanlin-1967 –farmer baling hay 1.25/ hr.- part time.
SUS Tire Service-1974- tire repair. 3.50 /hr. - summer job before college
Boyd Hemminger- 1975–Oxbow Farms – student intern 1975-125/ week
Apple Creek State institute/ Agricultural Technical Institute ( Ohio State University)- student teacher , livestock manager- dairy and beef-  1976-1977- full time. 3.50/ hr.
Nicholson farms –herdsman- 1977- full time 125/ week plus house. Milking 125 head 2 times / day
Halliburton- 1977-1978- truck driver – equipment operator- 350/week
Schlumberger Well Services- 1978- 1981- approximately 450/ week-truck driver – equipment operator.
Creston staircase supply- ½ hr1981 – no pay- just pain
Diversified metal -1981- 4.50/hr. press operator.
Diebold inc. – 1981- 1984- press operator – maintenance man- 10.50/hr.
D.A.Waldron  Oil Field services – 1984-power tong operator-8.00/hr
Carlton oil field serv. – 1984-8.50 / hr. ,roustabout and tong truck driver
Davis nursery- 1984-6.00/hr. – landscape technician
Henry Glue factory- 1985-machine operator-8.00/hr.
Horizon coal company- 1985-dozer operator -8.50/hr.
Rt. 62 pole buildings- 1986 -sub contractor/ carpenter- wages varied depending on size of building etc.
Atlas Explosive Service co. – 1987-truck driver/ blasters helper-450/ week
Soil conservation service- 1989- no pay- volunteer work
Professional Services Incorporated-1990-1993 soil and cement technician- 9.00/hr.
American Window Products 1993- 1994 – Plant Superintendent-850.00/month 
Steve Swain Construction/ Thomas asphalt- 1994-1995- construction superintendent-22.50/ hr.
Wooster construction company-heavy equipment operator- 15/ hr.
Operating Engineers Local 18-1995- heavy equipment operator – 22. 50 – 27.50/ hr.
Kurtz Brothers Incorporated- 1995- 2000- division manager, superintendent, equipment operator.-17.50/hr.
Operating engineers-2000-2004 –heavy equipment operator- 27.50/ hr.
A.J. Cinson Construction-2004- 2010 heavy equipment operator- 15. 00/ hr.
Filed for disability in 2010
     So as far as I can tell I had 28 different employers in my lifetime and 24 since I graduated from high school. Some of these jobs didn’t last very long , and I was out finding a new one or a better one I thought had come along and went with it.
     I admire those individuals who ended up with a job straight out of high school and are still there. Recently I went to a high school reunion and our class president told me he is working for the same employer that hired him thirty years ago. Working in construction usually only lasts till the major project you are working on is done. Then you are laid off again and back in the hall if you belong to a union.
   When working for the union I didn’t include all the employers I had worked for as their may have been at least ten more , instead lumped them under the union local # 18 as that was where I was working out of. At one point or another I have done a variety of jobs to say the least, jack of all trades – master of one as I like to refer to myself. Each and every one has a story to tell and I would like to relate those stories to you, at least the ones I thought were unique. I think this is a total list and by no means does not include other jobs I have done by myself such as brick laying , and carpentry , that I didn’t include as they were done by myself and I was the boss. At one point I had a firewood business and was selling firewood in Cleveland, and was quite successful at the time. I have had other jobs I did well at including carving which I still do on a limited basis.
    This is a culmination of 53 years of work, including the time I spent as a youth working on the farm and will defy anyone to say it wasn’t a real labor. It was every bit a real job and part of the reason I included it in as people rarely realize the impact it has on a child in terms of physical and mental growth when experiencing labor and job ethics as a child. The quantity of work may not have been up to adult standards, but the scope of the work was the same as adults did. I would challenge anyone to stand up in a haymow and hurl bales as I did as a youth of only 16.
    Some of these jobs included stories I have already told and so will go back and reinsert the stories in my time line to place them accordingly and prevent retelling of same old thing. In some cases I will be telling new stories as they well up in my mind after revisiting other events in my life. I will also be correcting the time line to reflect those events more accurately as I sort through the cobwebs and memories of long ago.  



 



No comments: