Tuesday, September 2, 2014

25000 thank you's to you all

Back to Carving

Clodette and Clod knee deep in lace vine in bloom

    I celebrated Labor Day in the usual way by doing some more last minute touch ups on the totem as I prepare to start a new phase of my work on the totem. I intend to stand the totem up today and lean it against my deck and sand and finish the outside of the totem. Then I will move on to painting the totem in a somewhat traditional style by hand in colors on a limited palette of neutral colors with  maybe just a little shading to help define the carved features of the wood, hopefully giving depth and an aged look to the carving that will only enhance with the fourth dimension, and that is time.

me putting finishing touches on front of totem before standing it up 

      My traditional method of mixing paint as I like to do usually involve using gasoline as the paint comes in pigment form of artist oil paints and is diluted quite easily by the gasoline. Lacquer thinner of a petroleum base can be used also , and will achieve the same results , but being a chainsaw carver who if left alone to live off only his carvings, I would starve quite easily unless I worked with materials I have on hand. I use gas and oil mixed for the chainsaw, and so this is normally what I use in small amounts. Care should be taken when working with any harmful vapor that is highly flammable. The nice thing about gasoline is that it works in two ways first it tends to suck the paint deep into the wood impregnating more of the pigment deeper into the wood. At secondly it works to preserve the wood by again drawing whatever pigment and oils deeper into the wood creating a non-porous surface with internal bonding in the surface cell structure. I have used acrylic washes and water to do the same thing on wood. But it seems as if the paint tends to stay on the surface and deteriorates faster. If you plan to keep your carving inside your house then for sure use nothing but acrylics paint and forget sealing with any varnish. This will avoid any lingering vapors. Read and research and determine for yourself the proper application of any material for your carving that suits your needs best.

completing the repair from where i damaged it earlier moving it 

      There are a couple of chainsaw blogs that support chainsaw carvers with information from the general chainsaw population who ask questions and post photos of their accomplished work. As with everything, and before you start posting, take time to read the blogs before asking questions , to get a feel for the people posting on there. There is good and bad in everything. Information and advice is only good for you if it is the right information. If it sounds flaky or you are in question then ask a question to clarify what is you are looking for. I will add links and they are interesting to follow if you like chainsaw art also. You can always ask me any question by following my links or just posting a question on my blog comments which I do read all the time. Don’t always have the answer but may know where to go to find it.


         In response to a readers comment before about seeing my sculpture or the totem,  I still intend to have a potlatch party, which has nothing to do with pot, maybe. Anyhow a potlatch party is given for the sculptor and it is at this time the patron who commissioned the work pays the artist or creator of the totem for his work and takes his totem home. It is a celebration of a new work to be displayed.  I intend to have a bonfire and want to invite, anyone who is interested in seeing the completed totem of which I am on schedule to finish by sept. 20th of 2014, less than 18 days from now, so mark your calendars. It will happen at 6- 8 in front of my greenhouse here at the farm. I have no intention of providing food or drinks so bring your own refreshments, a friend, an enemy, and enjoy a bonfire to usher in a new Fall season. I will have trees on sale for fall planting already potted, ready to go in the ground. Planting in the fall helps the trees to survive by assuring plenty of water to encourage root growth.



     I am also celebrating 25000 views on my blog. I never expected even half this much and even when I don’t write I can still garner 10 - 15 views per day on my blog from people catching up on past blogs I have written. Many thanks to all of you and I appreciate taking the time to read and enjoy the pictures I take and share with you. I like to think I have learned a lot on writing do’s and don’ts. At times the words slip ever so easily from my mind to the screen, and at others it is like pulling teeth to find the right words.  An old cowboy proverb says one should taste the words before letting them out of your mouth. I am trying here lately and from now on to do just that. I have no intentions of sanitizing my blogs but instead flavor them in such a way to make the readers come back for more, a second helping if you please. They say President Abe Lincoln would be so book starved when he was young growing up on a farm in Illinois that he would reread books he had already read to see if he missed something the first time. To me you reading my blog is like being the author of any book Abe ever reread. I am honored that I had worthy things to say and subjects that interest you that make you want to come back for more. Thank you and 30000 hits don’t look so far away. Again thanks, can’t say it enough.

Below are the links i have told you bout involving chainsaw carving. you can never learn too much, but you can always be ill-advised .


No comments: