Thursday, September 25, 2014

its not as black and white as one would assume

And Yet Again I Have Painted Yet Another Day



      Still working at painting the totem, and yesterday I was able to install eyes in all the different figures except the low man on the totem pole. The reason I didn’t do him was that I am still not finished with painting him as I work down on the totem. The reason for this is that if I drip paint as I do then I still have a chance to correct mistakes. My paint after I mix it is more like a wash, and I have to be careful and make repeated efforts to apply several coats to get the color to a stage I like. Doing so offers plenty of opportunity to make mistakes as I do. Splotched paint can usually be blended in or covered over. In some areas it is best to work with the darker colors first and then proceed to the lighter colors. A grinder or even painting an area white helps to eliminate unwanted blotches of paint. All color correction needs to be done prior to sealing the totem
      Once the totem is sealed it is harder to change the colors and generally requires one to grind off the old paint and varnish back to bare wood and then blend it back in and reseal the entire sculpture to assure uniformity of painting procedure. I am thinking of leaving the low man on totem pole’s face alone and just seal him as he is. I have some splotched paint I need to remove but from experience I have noticed that when applying the final seal coat of Helmsman spar varnish it tends to drop the values of the paint accordingly, making the darks darker and the lights a tone darker also. So what you see now will change even more after sealing. The face will appear darker when sealed and should have just the right tone I am looking for. In some ways it does make the carving more visible to the eye but it does change the values of the colors respectively. I only use a satin finish when finishing any sculpture of color as the glossy tends to reflect light as the satin captures that light and magnifies the values of the color. These are my personal preferences and for my use of carving. Your needs may differ, say if you are going to sculpt a mermaid and wanted a glistening look then glossy may be appropriate.


     You should always use a spar urethane to seal your carvings and avoid polyurethane especially for outdoor use. Use only marine grade spar urethane if using anything other than Helmsman’s as their product I am sure is fully capable of meeting those standards, as well it protects against U.V. light damage (ultra-violet).
     I was going to spray this carving but was having trouble getting the paint to spray and needed to up the value of the paint so I went to mixing in a small can and painting by hand with a ¾ inch wide painters brush designed for oil paints. It is round and has about 1 inch long bristles that allow me to thoroughly saturate into crevices the paint needed to create a uniform color pattern. It also allows blending more readily as I use the brush to swirl new paint over wide areas. I also use regular artist’s oil paint to paint when painting, and this comes in tubes and requires me to have the same amount squeezed into a thinning agent to make the paint concentration easier to repeat time after time in a uniform manner also. I test usually on a side piece till I have the right concentration to proceed.



      Well after writing out how to carve a totem I myself have begun to see an awakening in respect to how much actually does go into making a sculpture of this size and it does get more complicated with painting as opposed to burning, but again I like the results. Painting wood sculptures dates way back in time and is mostly religious by nature. But wood has been painted for centuries and will no doubt be used as a medium for many more or at least as long as we have woods to use. Who knows some day we may have to visit a tree museum to see any , according to the song ‘Big Yellow Taxi’, by Joni Mitchell. It has always been a favorite of mine since I first heard it.
     As I see the paint bring my sculptures to lifer and change the nature of a log from firewood to an art piece it overwhelms myself completely and it is the reason I do what I do. Out of all of these blogs I have done on the subject of totems I hope someday, that someone may use them  as reference on how to carve. These along with my art will help others understand what is involved, and may give a better understanding to the effort involved on both the artistic and the writing levels as an author explaining the process. I only hope I have done well.
   

    
     


No comments: