Sunday, September 7, 2014

had to put on a thermal shirt this am

Its Dog and Duck City

view from the deck of the carving shed 

      Again the animals are about to rule the farm as my sister has returned to live at the farm and in her tow she has brought two very lively dogs to add to our montage of animals here at the farm. Surprisingly they seem to leave the ducks alone so far as if they know they are off limits. Sherry’s little one ‘Bowser’ is a stick of dynamite always ready to explode at every movement , a ball of energy all packaged into a little dog who has no idea how big or small he is. Her other dog whose name escapes me now is a darn good protector as he or she has taken to protecting mom’s house and that includes keeping me away.

tinman just thinking about when i will visit him with the weedeater


      This is all right with me as Babe is a little too friendly at times and is mostly intimidating by her size, although I doubt if anyone would want to cross her. It is nice to see Mom get some company in the house, and having my sister in there will assure that mom receives the best care possible that she could get. Having a protective dog outside the house is always good too.
      Buddy was having some adjustment problems dealing with the new additions but seems to be getting along good with the new doggies as I saw him running and playing with the new dog outside. In fact Buddy was having a great time being chased around, in comparison to Babe who would rather be chased as she is an alpha female and leader of the pack. As far as I know this is going to be a long term arrangement as Sherry and her husband intend to live here on the farm also indefinitely. I look forward to them staying as I need and want help with Mom as she needs more company than I could ever provide. She needs to have someone around and not just to check in and make sure she is alright. I would spend time talking to her and try to provide the company one would need as you get older but that is not always possible.



     Also this will allow me to be able to go on vacation and not worry about being back right away. I have been thinking of going to some carving shows and spending a couple days away, or just possibly climb on a train and head out west. The options are open and plenty, just have to figure out what I want first besides finishing the carving I am working on.

    I did manage to work on the totem and sanded at the figures defining the individual characters on there more. I need to add some pieces along the edge of the wings to fill in the cracks. This will be done with pieces of cutoffs and should result in a seamless joint that can be carved and made to look like it was all one piece. I spent another 2 hours and I am now up to 22 hours and will forego the pics of the totem today as visibly there isn’t much change in appearance except a more well defined carving. I am still on track to finish by the 20th, and in time for my potlatch party. 

No comments: