Friday, September 5, 2014

time makes all things right

A Little Time Lapse is in Order

9-5-2014



8-1-14

8-6-2014

8-8-2014

8-13-2014

8-19-2014

8-23-2014

8-26-2014
9-1-2014

9-5-2014 
    Today I will attempt to show the progress of the original log from the time I started carving till today so you can see the progress I have made in carving the log out and the difference sanding is making on the finished product. As with anything and artist does, it is the technique he or she uses that ultimately helps define that artist as being any different than the next. My technique involves doing as much as I can with the chainsaw to avoid using the grinder as much as possible as it generates a fine wood dust that covers me from head to toe. You should wear a dust mask and eye protection. Also care should be taken to avoid breathing the dust especially with spalded maple as the dust can cause respiratory problems associated with the spalding or dark streaks in aged maple as it involves a bacterial infection of the wood to create those dark streaks in the wood. Rotted or any staining in any wood may cause the same effect.  In reality one should always wear a minimum of protection in the form of a paper mask to avoid any dust particles associated with wood sanding.
     Removing all the chainsaw marks made by the chain and polishing and sanding too much will rob a carving of its identity if you take it to the extreme. People think chainsaw marks adds detail and character to the carving and makes it unique. I have to agree with that and for that purpose try to leave a little roughness in each carving. In some areas I will not be able to get the grinder into; I intend to burn and add some shading by singeing those areas inaccessible on the carving. The roughness along with long fibers burns quite easily at this point and singes and darkens those areas making it appear as shading and also serves to seal the end of the cut fibers making the carving harder. This will be my next step after I finish sanding the carving. Burning the ends of wood tends to make it harder and will last longer and was a common practice with primitive man when making tools he would use.
      Buddy, Mom’s dog likes the deck as well I do also, as it gives him and I a chance to allow me to pet him without bending over as the little guy is a long ways down there. At the height of the deck all I have to do is reach out and pet him. Every time I am around the deck he knows to run up there and wait for a pet. It makes Babe, my dog a little jealous so I have to watch how much I make over him.



No comments: