Saturday, March 29, 2014

a firestorm of events preceded by my ignorance to detail

Conflagration of Bull Crap




     I will save everyone a trip to the dictionary and I am sure will hardly impress you with my vocabulary, but conflagration usually refers to wild fire where there is violence or destruction. I am so sure you knew all that but was a word I heard one time and believe I have used in my blog and I just love the way it rolls off my tongue in an undulating four syllable drool,  that really sounds like you know what you are talking about . It just seems like this word so clearly illustrates my day, but still it wasn’t too bad. Worked last night on a piece about World trade that I put off editing and was planning on posting it today,  but after I read last night’s ramblings , I just couldn’t bore you with another,  and Kev says. Further agonizing reappraisal of the World trade blog realizes in me that you the reader , really didn’t need something to put you to sleep,  so I shelved it till who knows when,  if ever, or may end up page one of my lost memoirs.
     A conflagration of events or a fiery storm of events which resulted in violence and destruction, pretty well sums up my day. I try to plan what I am going to do when I have help here so that I can take care of priority items requiring extra labor. James and I are good friends and he has helped me a lot. Still anytime you have someone in employ, you try and mentor them by setting an example of how you should do something especially when it’s costing me. I get so frustrated sometimes as I feel I am always in a hurry and know I need to slow down , but it is kind of the way I work or should I say I used to. sure doesn’t happen like it used to , but then again I am not running a dozer fine grading with a laborer and cutting to grade final base for concrete.  When you run heavy equipment it seems as if you are always in hurry, I was told to always keep the blade full and they (bosses) will be happy. And they were, now whether I was on grade then I doubt it but the blade was full. I always ran dozer as fast as I could and could grade with the best of them, I also ran other heavy equipment such as excavators from the small mini hoe doing utilities to large excavators. They paid well and bosses wanted production and I was also a member of the Operating Engineers Local 18 and worked for several contractors including Beaver excavation. At one point I was Division Manager of Kurtz Bros., Commercial Division, Cleveland Oh., managing and supervising construction crews in developing industrial properties in Cleveland area. Time is always money and when you are talking heavy equipment it doesn’t take long to add up the dollars.
       I have had days when you would get off the dozer and before your foot hit the ground, a foreman would ask you why you were stopping. When you told him to visit the little boys room and then I would ask if he wanted to go along and hold my hand, sometimes you would get a scowl and others would say no and laugh. It’s the ones that scowls that I worry about. So when it gets to the point you can’t take a leak you know your time is worth something. So back to my firestorm of events. I picked up a couple of workbenches today that was gave to me and then was soon  home as I ended up here at the house. That part of my day went as it was supposed to.
      First it was the Ohio spits. It’s those big gobs of water firing at you from out of the sky in no certain direction from gray clouds that may or may not be rain. Leaving you with the uncertainty of knowing if you are going to get soaked or just irritated. They are big and aim for your face as its icy water slides down your face trying to persuade you to go inside and avoid being frozen from being soaked. I planned on working outside and with help here it was continue on, and when we need to, we can head to greenhouse. I couldn’t find my charger for the cordless drill and it was surely something I couldn’t do without, as It also had my spare battery. Without it I ended up having to find another variable speed drill I could use. I added an electric cord but it was to short, and was soon grabbing a longer one as the first came up five feet short so I had to go from a 25 -50 foot electric cord. Finally I get everything set up and it starts raining. I head to the greenhouse where I had James looking for bolts for a clamp we were going to use. We worked on front door of greenhouse and managed to get it opening the way it should as wind had worked on the door frame and loosened it. Of course through this all, we must have had 3 trips between greenhouse and house to get tools. I have one set of tools spread out between three places and it gets kind of frustrating remembering which place I left a particular tool in, as in the case of the charger and it isn’t small or easily overlooked or is it?
         We were able to fix the door and then  I potted up about 25 yews James and I started from cuttings a couple of years ago and are now in the 6-12 inch range and getting fuller with several off shoots. I also noticed I have 10 forsythia bushes started in same size range that are blooming already. So after watering I finally gave up on trying to find the charger, so I watched a movie called Great Expectations based on the book by the same name but not in period times, instead more up to date modern version. It starred Gwyneth Paltrow who played the young girl when the boy first visited Miss Haversham. I liked the movie and remember how that book set my imaginations spinning as one thing the book talked about was the clocks that stopped at the exact time she was supposed to get married and wedding cake decorated and dried out and slumped to one side with cobwebs tracing lines between wine goblets on a dusty linen tablecloth. The movie didn’t go to such detail, instead set a stage that at the same time had its merits. A must see, and one could call it easily a chic flic, with a little romance thrown in for good measure. Isn’t Gwyneth the one that recently consciously uncoupled with another actor?
       The fire of doubt and wonder of where my charger was continued to consume me and it was tearing me up not knowing. My help left and the day was shot but still I managed to get a lot done, but that charger was giving me fits and I didn’t want to spend another 90 -120 dollars to buy a new one. The drill was ok but it just isn’t my trusty Dewalt screwdriver. I looked systematically in all the places,  I even went down to Mom’s basement and then she asks me after I trudged back up the steps , and  after I wasted half day looking for that damn charger if I looked up on the corner of the freezer in the back room. Well then I remembered that when the power went off last time I had to drill a hole to fish an extension cord down through from the generator to the furnace. By the time I was ready to hook it up the power came back on. I left the charger plugged in on a lower freezer and mom moved it up and placed it high on the corner of the freezer next to it,  and I just look passed it, in fact we both, james and I walked past it five times as that is how many times we looked in there.  
     A conflagration of events precipitated my final discovery of where my sources of irritation lie; it is deep seated in the bowels of me. The terror and violence rained down on me is by my own doing, the violence of my frustration is seated in me and my conscience. I refuse to let it destruct me. Lest I never be able to use the word conflagration again. Now you will be saying this word all day long and have me to thank for it.  
     Although i used conflagration, i didnt use it correctly as it is a noun instead of a verb. i think it would do much better as verb as a noun limits its impact, when in reality a firestorm is a coming together of events leading to total destruction or violence as defined by the dictionary. To me this shows action . and that would be the definition of a verb. Now all you critical ocd-ers out there jump on this,and define for me as it seems this also may start a conflagration of events i doubt if i am totally prepared for but bring it on. 



No comments: