Sunday, March 2, 2014

part 3-safety?

Part 3
Day from hell 125


 Dragline of James Bros. coal mine outside of Mineral City stalled and waiting for the scrap pile

     I worked for Atlas Explosive Serv. Co, then out of Mineral City, Oh. , and when I first started working there I was enthralled by a chance to play with dynamite and things that go bang.  Today I am much thankful that nothing serious ever happened, that I never had to say what they say about dynamite , if you play with it , things happen, none of it good! Intended to self-destruct with force, it will take everything with it as it has no mercy.
      Don’t really know what I was thinking besides the pay was good. Dynamite is safe as long as certain protocols are heeded. It has to be stored properly and counted constantly as inventory of loss of one stick is a serious consequence with no good ending. So you count it in the magazine, and then again when it comes out. It’s a pain in the butt but I agree with it. Wouldn’t want to work with someone who stole dynamite, as people are a strange and a curious lot at times and this can be an obsession with people. When I come across people like this I tend to head the other way. I can remember partying with a want- to- be prison guard who was obsessed with a deputy sheriffs murder and by his own admission set up a sequence of events in telling me the story years ago , that indicated to me he may have more knowledge and motive, to be looked at very suspiciously.  My job was cancelled and I didn’t have to work with him and always I wondered.  Secretly I was glad to have dodged that bullet as I really had no evidence and with the time that has evolved, doubt if any information could be gleaned. Still; it helps to know who you are working with. Especially with dynamite.
        I arrived at work and I was kind of a lead person assigning work and then working with a crew doing whatever. My primary job was to be a truck driver, delivering dynamite or anfo , which is an ammonium nitrate plus diesel fuel that kind of slicks up the hole and then intensifies  the blast, kind of like banging on a huge kettle drum during a thunderstorm  adding percussion to a thunder storm , the stuff that rattles windows and makes your spine tingle stuff.  Well it is benign till you set it off with dynamite. I am sure you have passed these trucks as they have orange blasting agent insignia on them. I like watching license plates and can usually remember numbers and letters in sequence as I am talking to someone while driving down the road at 60 mph. while blinking at the same time. Where I am going to, is that I notice placards on trucks and take a mental note of which sign or placard is turned up. Due to the close proximity of strip mines and the location of a blasting manufacturer in our area that makes slurry. This  is used primarily in strip mines and is placed in 4 foot tubes to be dropped above the dynamite and intensify the blast. I see a lot of trucks with blasting agent or class A explosives including dynamite as I drive down the road. I am concerned always and steer clear.
       At safety meting we would hear the horror stories of dynamite gone wrong. We would have one weekly at which safety was focused on reducing the liability the company might suffer if we made a mistake. A friend of mine told me to watch Atlas Explosive Serv. Co.. Atlas had a habit of establishing an operation in an area, and then maintain control over the processing and manufacturing of product, but would offload the blasting services, and carrying of dynamite to a new company or an existing company forced with a sudden lack of business, sell off the servicing and further reduce their risk. Everything was planned to make maximum profits. Sure enough he was right, and a year after I was let go, they sold the blasting business to a competitor, only they had to buy Atlas product instead of another competitor’s product.
        All of the safety meetings had to do with inventory, preventing major accidents, impaired drug use, sleep deprivation and how it affects your driving. All important issues but was mainly a structured company cya policy, and that is a cover your ass policy at all costs. Telling you all the things that are beneficial to the company but lacks substance when faced with a scenario like this, like in the case of an accident and your truck is burning.  You need to remove your load of dynamite first, at this point and I emphasize first (you do not check on your own injuries or whether there are others with injuries, you just grab the dynamite and go), carefully carry it to an open area, then stand by it till the authorities or other company personnel who will arrive and be authorized to take possession of the dynamite, also try to make sure you have your bill ladings along also. Now as I am slumped across my steering wheel from having been thrown around in the cab and now I need to grab my bill of ladings and hurry outside to go carry some dynamite to reduce company liability. Sounds like a plan to me.
      Well that was the first thing you are supposed to do. Well there wasn’t a second. You were not supposed to leave your post by the dynamite to attend to the van load of senior citizens you just scared off the road when your truck slid on an icy patch and you lost control, went sideways in the road and ended in the ditch, and although there is no fire or immediate need to evacuate the area, you cannot leave your post beside the three ton of 4in x 8in stick dynamite it took you an hour to unload by hand when I was 31 years old. There was one other stipulation they had, never admit fault even to a law enforcement officer or anyone. You were to go to the grave with your secret. That is why they have people who investigate these things that know what they are doing. It is cheaper to only answer direct questions as you stand by the smoking crater.
       Don’t know, but if it was actually going to blow up  I would have evacuated and run as far as I could dragging as many senior citizens as I could. Then when I hear the blast and  stick my head between my legs and kiss my ass good bye , cause I am sure that I will still be to close. And worst case if I happen to live through it, the company at least needs someone to blame. Might as well be me as they wheel my hospital bed into the court room and they give me life and now I would become a burden to the taxpayers as I am now locked in a prison medical ward , for the rest of my life as I decided to try and save some old folks and abandoned my post. Don’t you just love how dysfunctional work is anymore? Where reducing risk is the most important thing next to profits. I know by now you think that crazy kev has lost it again thank someone that man is no longer driving dynamite trucks around.  Did you hear what he is telling me?   No rhyme or reason, just spouting off.
    I have purpose and will revisit later as if I have a plan with my writing. Anyhow in the time I worked with them close to a year and a half doing a variety of jobs, but mainly being a shooters helper on the blasting of strip mines. It was because of the safety factor, certain things had to be done in only one way. Dynamite had to be counted and stored as soon as it was feasible. The boxes typically weighed 6o pounds, and after lifting a ton or two you could feel it in your back.
        All the safety meetings and how important it was for the company and yet they never covered backs. Apparently they are more worried about fighting lawsuits involving employee error than they were worrying about the employees’ health and safety. It is typical of safety programs, and I am sure if it sounds crass,  I mean after all why should they teach personal safety? They have to pay our wages to have us sit around and nod our heads up and down, drink coffee and eat all the donuts for the office staff before obligingly signing off on a safety attendance sheet.   So they may as well be doing something to help the company first by doing things to make sure their liability was lowered. Better than one company I worked for in the strip mines that even without a safety meeting you needed to sign the safety attendance sheet or be fired. I always hated signing the paper but wanted my check. Holding the check hostage and not paying me my obliged amount without having strings attached of lying for my employer, only served to show how safety was of no concern to them. I ran dozer at the time.
      Not once did Atlas cover prevention of any accident on your behalf. A personal injury was just personal and they figured you would screw up and blow yourself up first rather than hurt your back from loading boxes that were too heavy to lift all day long. Semi after semi with up to 26 tons of dynamite loaded to the gills and stacked at times 2 high, all to be loaded or unloaded by hand daily. This was an important part of the job.
     This was another safety requirement as you cannot use electric or gas or even propane forklifts to load or unload dynamite. It all has to be hand loaded and unloaded. Don’t know if this is still the case as it was in 1985. The reason is the potential of explosion resulting in a massive explosion setting off a chain of events there is no remedy for except to check the crater for body parts.
      So it would seem if you are in the business of moving large amounts of packaged goods by hand shan’t you at least once give cause to teach your workers how to lift?  Never happened, and if you think it is bad it is a common thread among businesses across the board and even farmers but is one of the most expensive court cases to litigate as there are survivors who live for years with bad backs. I can attest to that.  It is hardly thought of at safety meetings till they have their token back case and are faced with higher worker compensation rates.  Then it was I told you so as they are handing out lifting belts.  
    All that and I haven’t arrived at the first hour of work. Well it was 1-10 1985; my history of being fascinated with things that go bang suddenly took a turn for the worse or better as the case may be. I was unloading a truck full of sixty pound boxes of dynamite and sliding them down rollers, along with a crew of about 5 others and the usual scenario was the roller tables were stacked on boxes and out the back door of the semi. Four men would go inside the truck and would slide the cartons of dynamite down the racks to the 2 guys at the other end who would stack them in the magazine. We would trade out on the stacking at the one end in the magazine after about twenty minutes. This was due to the nitro in the air as it emitted a vapor and this caused you a headache. Don’t ask questions of whether the money is worth it. I wouldn’t have a story to tell.
     Anyhow I was working right along with the others and bent over as simply as I write this, I picked up a carton and my back snapped. It could be heard as several of my coworkers asked if that was me as pain shot down both legs and I staggered to the side of the trailer and sat on some dynamite. I never expected anything like this to happen. Getting blown up crossed my mind a couple of times but never a personal injury as I was fairly healthy. Drank too much by my own admission, and didn’t eat right, partied with my friends, typical behavior for a young redneck man like myself at the time, but still physically in good shape.

      Well will take a break and try and finish this story. Not really looking for sympathy in my story. It is what it is. And part of getting old, seems like we never get smart soon enough until we are all bent over and struggling to get around or planning our day on how well we feel. Who knows maybe this could be a precautionary tale to some youth to slow down and think before doing something as simple as bending over to pick up your paycheck at work if the boss drops it on the floor handling it to you. Accidents can happen anytime and anyplace. Sometimes you need to try and think before doing. If I had anything to do over on that day and that would have been to slow down. Let them fire me if I couldn’t keep up. Maybe tomorrow the conclusion. Maybe? 

No comments: