Tuesday, October 22, 2013

caring for your carvings




Reconstruction of Fish Sculpture



     Today I am going to go over reconstruction of a fish sculpture I had previously been exhibiting at home till the tail piece fell off. This was one of my earliest works and in this case I took advantage of a natural feature which is the knot or burl on the side of a tree.  I carved this after seeing the piece laying in the woods. All of my wood carving wood is usually reclaimed or salvaged wood. I really don’t like the idea of cutting a tree down to carve something out of it. If you already had plans to take the tree down for other purposes then it would be fair game. In this case mom and dad had timbered the area and this was one the pieces left by the logger.



      What made it unusual for me is that it had this huge burl or knot on the side of the log. And it looked just like a set of fish lips much like a carp or a koi. Anyhow I had to really look at the log to make sure I could carve the fish out of the log and soon I saw what I was looking for. I wanted to make it look like it was jumping out of the water. I also painted it a green with a yellow undertone then sealed it with a glossy finish. This high gloss finish gave the original piece a translucent effervescence that brought out the colors and made the fish appear wet. This is the finish I will try and achieve again.



    The first step in restoring the carving is trying to figure out how to reattach the tail to the fish. An overall look at the quality of the carving reveals that the wood for the most part is holding up well. The cracking that occurred when the tail was cracked off was the result of natural cracking procedure. Cutting the wood in a different direction or possibly leaving more material or a more upright tail leaving a straighter fish would result in  tail that may last longer but would not have aesthetic effect this tail does as this carving exhibits motion while standing still.



      This carving was a favorite of mom and I , and was eventually going to be restored. Having a blog and teaching people to properly care for their carving has led me to begin with this project first. So the wood for the most part is solid and in the area of the break is rather quite hard. I believe this is an ash carving and was a little on the hard side to carve when I originally carved it out. This carving was all carved out of one piece of wood the base is representative of the heart of the log and its optimal carving size. Meaning I would never have been able to make it any larger. Now I can carve it smaller if needed or glue and attach pieces if needed then recarve the piece. . None of this necessary but I will get into this with other pieces as I go along. Next I had to figure out how to strengthen the repair to prevent It from happening again and I do that with dowels as I drill and insert a round piece of stock dowel to approximately a straight through position in the thickest part of the tail sculpture. One dowel may be all that is needed but two will add even more strength to the original sculpture.



     At this point I would like to say there is an easy way to accomplish drilling and aligning the dowels but when the piece is odd shaped as it is clamping or drilling straight holes is hard to do and should be done by sighting along the length of the piece. Trial and error and a slight over boring of the drill holes by cocking the drill and wobbling out the hole may give you enough room to secure the two pieces in approximate position to begin gluing. Wet both pieces and apply the gorilla glue after the piece is thoroughly dampened. This is important. Gorilla glue is an excellent adhesive when used for exterior conditions, but must be applied to a dampened surface. After applying a stream of glue to thoroughly coat both surfaces and dowel holes then piece together and hold in place if clamping isn’t possible. After about ten minutes the glue will begin to set and eventually you will be able to let the piece stand on its own after about a half hour. Allow the glue to dry overnight to assure proper bonding. Some other prep work is being accomplished at the same time as I go along here , and will show you details and offer an explanation as I go along.



      Tomorrow I will be grinding down the excess glue bubbles, and doing some more prep work on the carving  prior to painting and sealing.


                                                                              
       Here are some other pics of carvings i took yesterday.


No comments: