Tuesday, October 8, 2013

preparing for algonquin -day 2

Day 2 Preparing for Algonquin.





      So this year I am enlisting some help from a few friends as I get ready to head to Algonquin. I had planned on painting pumpkins carved, but after doing one pumpkin I realized I just couldn’t carve a pumpkin out. Instead I had to make I a long drawn out procedure with so much time invested that no one would really be interested in buying a pumpkin for 120 Dollars. In fact I would be hard pressed to justify that myself but that is how much time I have invested in it to make a profit. I hardly know very many people who would do it for the fun of it. I did one and will share the pic with you.

     Marcia and Matt , who is Marcia’s son collaborated to paint a  pumpkin after I carved it out. They did an excellent job and I just went ahead and gave them the pumpkin and it will be at Algonquin for others to view when I am there. I just had too much time carving and sanding then painting and sealing to sell for the 40 dollar target price I was hoping to reach. This was a money maker for a lot of other chainsaw artists as people like the idea of a pumpkin that looks great year after year and is produced on the cheap. I will try and do another at Algonquin so other people can see what is involved. Marcia will be there painting for me, as she works on other projects also. Marcia is an old friend and neighbor I have known for years and is now helping me as I need to be able to concentrate more on my carving. For me this is the ideal time of the year to carve as the temperatures are cooler and it makes carving a lot easier to do.  
      I am teaching Marcia the method of using oil paints as artists do, to stain and color the wood , leaving washes in some places , allowing a transparency to the wood allowing the grain to come out . Highlighting and shading other areas to make a more realistic sculpture which still allows the beauty of the wood to show through. All my carvings are then sealed with spar varnish to seal the wood. This is the same sealant they use to seal wood boats used in maritime conditions where the wood would be exposed to the elements. This all makes for a long lasting durable one of a kind sculpture.
    Not only will I be sculpting but we will also be finishing and painting sculptures as we plan on exhibiting our talents this weekend. Did I mention they have a killer pancake and sausage breakfast at Algonquin that your wait in line is sure to be worth if you really like a good old fashioned country breakfast.

    Well I hope to see you there and if you have a chance stop by and introduce yourself.  I would sure be glad to say hello. But please wait for me to put the chainsaw down first. 

No comments: