Wednesday, October 9, 2013

getting ready for algonquin day 3


Day 3 – Getting Ready for Algonquin



     Yesterday was productive and in the flavor of the season as I began carving a witch to sell at Algonquin Mill Festival. To get to Algonquin mill check out their official web site which I will share with you here on this hyperlink all you need to do is click on the link and it will direct you to their official site and all the information I might have missed. Here is the link.-Algonquin Mill Fall Festival

    I have plans of doing a totem pole this weekend as I owe one to a client of mine. I have been putting it off, as I didn’t have the right piece of wood to accomplish the task. But thanks to the Mineral City tornado I was blessed with quite a large selection of trees and can get more to carve if given the time. After seeing him last night I know it is imperative to live up to the obligation and it will only take me a short while to accomplish. This is one thing I plan on doing while at the festival. Who knows maybe I can finish and drop off on my way home from the festival?
      It is always nice to be able to go to this festival for me . I enjoy all that they stand for. To honor our agricultural heritage is important, to understand what our ancestors went through on a daily basis to provide for a family and move on through history to our present time is important to our own self preservation. We can live without more. We really don’t need TV’s, cell phones, and a lot of other modern conveniences we take for granted till they don’t work anymore. The technology these forefathers had worked all the time and also was a social event much the same as the festival where people get together and cook for great crowds. In ages past they would get together for threshing of wheat, planting of crops, and the men would go to the fields as the women would cook great meals and wait for their return. In the meantime talk would be employed on a one to one basis as they would catch up on the events of absent family members.  This was always accomplished with no connection to the web.
       At times I think we are losing something as we go global with our technology and can easily talk with people in another country or across the state just by picking up a cell phone. The time we spend with that person neglects that person beside you as turn your back on them to text a message. But unfortunately this is a sign of the times.
       So when you visit Algonquin it is always nice to keep in mind there is always an alternative to this modern lifestyle where we are dependent on everyone to provide those things we use daily.  It is nice there are people that are trying to preserve that history. Yes some are trying to make a buck at it, but then again they choose to be at this festival at this time each year instead of owning a fast food restaurant or an internet coffee shop because they thought this was more important and it could be because they enjoy their job. Wish I was able to spend all my life doing always what I wanted instead of what I had to and really enjoyed my job. These people who are mostly volunteers do that yearly here for free, just to provide you with a unique experience. Thank them if get a chance.  Enjoy your visit to Algonquin Mill if you get the chance .
       Also if you see a carving you would like contact me at kdavis3051@yahoo.com to put it on reserve and after the festival will deliver for free to your house if local.
.



No comments: