Monday, October 14, 2013

pics from algonquin


2013 Algonquin Mill Festival 




        The Algonquin Mill festival is over but all in all a good time was had by many save the poor souls who may have been hurt when their loaded vehicle plowed through Crossroads Pizza on their way home. It looked hopefully uglier than what it was , but i am sure their was going to be some problems for those people, and I sure hope no one was hurt. . We went through the intersection just minutes after the crash and just as the Fire Department was arriving. Everything was hectic and people were running around. Skid marks were evident where the they must have avoided a vehicle and decided to take the side of the road to stop instead it took a building to do it. The truck was immersed completely in the building with a camper on its back completely obscuring the truck. As well the trailer loaded with engine memorabilia was still attached to the truck but was outside the building. One could hardly tell that the truck was inside the building at first glance as it blended in with the building due to the camper on its back. I just hope no one was seriously hurt and that all the employees of Crossroads Pizza was ok as well the driver and any passengers of the truck.

       I would have took a picture but i immersed my camera in a pool of oil mistakenly and borrowed my friend Marcia's camera to take all the pics at Algonquin this year. I didn't get to many pics of the festival itself but did get some of the carvings i did while i was there.


      Also prior to the festival and the ultimate reason I suspended my blog for a couple of days was the fact I was on TV8 news as part of a promotion effort of Kevin Thompson my fellow carver as we tried to promote the festivities going on at Algonquin . We met Scott Saybow the weatherman at Fox 8 news in the morning and got a brief tour of the Fox 8 facilities as far as the greenroom and a view of a studio . i think clips can still be found on the show yet. this was a day before we were due to start carving so this ultimately left me at a disadvantage in getting some last minute things done.


      All in all, I would say i was pretty successful in the carving part of what i was doing as i finished maybe 8 pieces as far as the carving goes. I also had my friend Marcie do the painting on the statues and she completed the witch as well as the pumpkin and a couple of bears. i look forward to doing more work with her as we go along . i had a great time and always enjoy the festival , meeting people and it seems s if every year it gets better. I also like seeing the kids as well as the older folks faces as they watch and receive a free  carved pumpkin. if you were not able to make it this year try next year as i am sure this is one festival that will continue being stronger each year with more to see.



No comments: