Thursday, December 18, 2014

is it the beginning of an end,or the end of a beginning?

The Beginning of the End




        I arrived at the hospital and Mona looked a little green in the gills as she sat there in the chair and filled out the papers releasing her from the torturous hell she was just through. She could barely walk, and as is hospital procedure, they helped her out to the car in a wheel chair, and she uncomfortably fell into the seat. I helped her straighten up and we started driving home  neither of us saying much till we had left the hustle and bustle of the city behind , she turned away from me and tried to rest her head against the side of the door and just sleep her way out of the nightmare. We drove in silence.
     After about an hour of driving she informed me she needed to go to the bathroom. I exited the interstate and found a gas station as she didn’t want anything to eat as she was still nauseous, she just needed a bathroom. I helped her into the gas station bathroom and waited as she went about her business. She looked like hell to say the least, as the ordeal had taken its toll on her. I asked if she was ok upon her coming out of the bathroom, and she said she was still passing blood but they said that should quit soon, and that they had checked her out thoroughly and she seemed to be ok.
      When we were back on the road she seemed to be more alert and I asked her how they did what they did. I knew they were using saline injections but knew little beyond that. She said when they started the procedure they basically take these large hypodermics and inject saline solution directly into the fetus from outside her stomach till it dies and aborts. The saline won’t hurt the mother as it is expelled through the uterus but the fetus can only take so much and then it expires and then they administer drugs like oxytocin to start premature expulsion of the fetus and complete the abortion. She said it felt like her insides were tearing out and it nauseated her really bad causing her to throw up. But she said you needed to keep the toilet clean as that is where the fetus was going to end up and that they would retrieve it from there and eventually dispose of it. After about 4 or five injections she said she felt like the fetus or baby was coming and ran for the toilet and it delivered into the toilet. I am telling you this as she told me and never have I related this story to anyone but one friend and wish I never did as he blabbed to her sister about it. She said she had to look at the fetus, or baby and it was fairly well formed enough to determine it was a male child. This little bit of information I could have done without as it killed me deep inside.  A little piece of me died right there, so to speak quite literally and figuratively.
    A nurse came in and retrieved the fetus from the toilet and disposed of it with little fanfare and attended to Mona who was still having contractions that were doubling her up. She said the cramps continued for another 2 hours and finally subsided as well the blood had also slowed. She said that they said she would spot blood for a week or two, then start cycling normally after a month or two. She turned to the window with her back towards me and sat with her arms clenching her stomach for the rest of the ride home, not saying much. I went as fast as I safely could wanting to put this behind me, until at last I pulled into her drive. Luckily no one was home and I helped her up stairs to her bedroom, and then to the shower and back to bed. She promised to call me if anything was wrong but that she needed to sleep and heal. She called the next day saying all was fine and she felt better.
     We would get together but not as frequently as before and birth control was used but things were not the same, and soon we were slipping apart. I confided to her brother in law what had happened and he told her sister and that was the beginning of the end for us as she claimed to have lost trust in me. To me it was a heavy burden we were both carrying and I don’t know about her but for me it was eating me live, as well I could feel her avoiding me and it was affecting our relationship. I made her brother in law promise to not say anything, but apparently he felt the burden to big also.
      The end came when after a night of my getting drunk and not being able to see her I was determined to find her, and I am sure I did. I stood outside the house she was house sitting at the time, and screamed at her to let me in, as I knew she had another guy there with her. Before the cops showed up, I thought I better get out of there, after making an ass out of myself , so I started down the road in another car I had recently bought,  as my VW had caught fire and burned completely to the ground shortly after returning from our trip to new York . I guess it was further penance and hardship for what we had done, anyhow I had bought this Olds Cutlass and it went 100mph like nothing. I was pissed when I left the house and I flew down the road punching down the accelerator and glancing for a second at the speedometer as it started to climb, as I did I dropped a tire off the side of the road and shit myself. Literally and not actually as I fought to keep the car from pulling further off the road , bringing it back on the road and crossing the centerline and finally stopping in the middle of the road on a pitch black night in the middle of nowhere. I sat in the car for a minute and looked around; I finally get out and thanked whoever was with me for allowing me to live. I felt like that guardian angel that had just allowed me to live at that time  gave up on me and climbed outside that car that night opting to walk instead, as it was a lot safer than riding with me. Lessons for me were coming hard to learn lately, but I learned that night, I did. I learned no woman is worth it. I thought I met a few since then, but still I don’t think any of them is worth me taking my life. As easily as I slipped off that road, I should have been dead, but like I say somehow I lived to write another day, and I tell you as is sit here now. I never have placed myself in that situation since, I never was that mad again, opting instead to walk away and let things work out whatever way they will.
     I gave up on Mona that night and no matter what she could try, I was never going to let myself go there again. We saw each other only to give her back some of her things and I think she wanted more, but I just couldn’t. There was way too much bad water under that bridge. I always wondered how her life went. I did all I could to support her when she needed me most hoping she would see what kind of a guy I was , it still didn’t matter, and don’t think it would. If we were together, we would always have to think about what we did together and never be able to forget. Maybe she has peace with her soul and it doesn’t bother her, but still I have moments and think what if?


No comments: