Saturday, December 13, 2014

job from hell number 136

One of the Worst Days of my Life Working
For the Scumburger



behind the cab of the truck is the operator cabin for running and monitoring of tooling. 


        I was working at Scumburger, yes I know I said I would move one but this is one job I had to question just what the heck I was doing at this job. I was breaking in a new engineer Louie and he was fresh out of college and had maybe 8 weeks of training in Houston at the Scumburger Institute for unqualified engineers and was granted his blue Ford Ltd  upon completion and sent to Ohio to bug the hell out of me.
       We were on a job in southern Ohio and we had done maybe two jobs since he started at our shop, and they went ok as he was still getting the hang of things but still needed more experience in dealing with customers and also in the technical aspects of trouble shooting of electronic equipment. We started our first tool down the hole and everything was going ok when he noticed that there was no signal coming from the tool in the hole. This could be from a multitude of problems but most likely it was a leak in the housing that allowed moisture and whatever mud and slop in the hole, or oil well to get in the tool and shut down the electronics. Water and electricity just don’t mix well.
      The tools are designed so that they are watertight, and have seals to prevent this from happening but it still happens. We decided to bring the tool to the surface and check to see if there was something we could figure out. I suggested right away that it would probably be best if we went ahead and ordered a new tool from the shop and at least get it headed our way too save some time. Louie was against the idea, opting instead to see if we could fix the tool. At this point I had over a couple of years’ experience and knew from the symptoms of the tool that maybe we had a dead one. Rarely do you lose all your signals down the hole. It was a tool we use almost daily and sometimes 3 times a day so I pretty well had it figured out.
     Well we get back to the surface and the owner of the drilling rig is wondering why we are done so quick, and I had half a notion to tell him no oil, a dry hole, we are packing up to go, but figured the guy would go ballistic as well the engineer Louie I am sure would frown on it also. I mean after spending close to half a million to get a well that far, last thing you want to hear is it is a dry well. I instead told him we ran into some glitches with our tooling as I preceded to start taking it apart to see what was going on after it was up on the surface and had it laying on the drilling floor of the rig.
      I started taking the tool apart as it started to rain and it began to pour, not just a little, but one of those frog choking rains, and here I am in the rain taking this tool apart while the engineer is screwing around inside the truck, in the dry worrying about this or that, that could have went wrong and I am getting soaked and pissed as it is not going to work. I come into our operator cab on the back of the truck and try to take a break from the rain and suggest after a round of testing again, that we try and get another tool heading our way as it is usually the general procedure we take when having trouble, we have plenty of these same tools back at the shop for spares in cases like this. But again the engineer who has now wasted 2 hours of time insists on me returning outside in the pouring rain to play with some electrical equipment capable of knocking me on my butt if I touch the wrong wire along the way.
       The owner of the drilling rig is getting pissed and braves the rain to tell me so, and I direct him to the man responsible for his troubles the engineer Louie, and Louie appreciates it so much he finally calls for another tool but still insists on me standing in the rain bent over the tool trying to fix it and keep busy doing nothing so he hopes the customer will be less pissed than he is now. I can remember as if it was yesterday, there I was in the pouring rain barely able to see as the rain was soaking every part of my being coming down in buckets and I am standing on the biggest lightning attractor around. The derrick extends a good 30 feet above any tree and is lit by lights in the darkness.  I can feel the rain running down my back and across my butt as I am bent over and is dripping off my balls in the pretty blue work overalls Scumburger had gave me, running down my leg and filling my boots full of water, and I think to myself there has got to be a better way to make a living. There was but I still needed to get home and try to find it. So I mustered up my energy and headed for the control cab of our truck walked in and sat down and said that is all I am going to do. The other tool will be here in a couple of hours and if you want someone out there playing lightning rod in the rain you had better get your skinny ass up and get out there, because I am this close to quitting as I motioned in a pinching fashion my thumb and index finger and I will walk home and you can take your truck, tools, and radioactivity and shove it up your ass if that is what you want and of course I will help you. But I am not standing out there doing stupid shit no more. Make your choice.

      Well he decided that since he had already had a tool coming and would need an operator to run the winch he better make sure I was ok with it. I wasn’t and could have cared less but I sat in the cab in silence with him in there also and tried to dry myself out, and soon our tool showed up we went down the hole and I finished the job. But the wheels of change had already entered my mind as I knew I needed another job. Also a friend of mine had just been recently killed while working for them and I really didn’t want to follow in his footsteps. Within a month I had a new job and was gone from the oilfields. 

No comments: