Monday, December 8, 2014

same old principle

Shake Rattle and Roll

 there is an oil rig under that mess of mud 

   
    In an effort to summarize the rest of my Scumburger stories I intend to just say something about how dangerous the job was back then and judging from the amount of oilfield related injuries I read about today in the news, I can’t say it has improved much but then I am not in the field. I  know for a fact they take a lot more precautions then they used to in terms of fire safety , hardhat protection and eyewear and I imagine hearing is a priority now. As well we have the MSDS, Material Safety Data Sheets to warn you of the hazards you are working with. How much this applies to the oil and gas field is questionable. I imagine there are safety programs and safety meetings as they have been in effect for a while and require personnel to participate and this has exposed a lot of workers to hazards they never knew existed in their line of work. Still for all the effort, things go wrong in the oilfield more often than anyone wants them to and sometimes that results in a loss of life.
       I am glad to have survived the oilfields when I worked in them , in fact I survived my youth and thankfully I am heading into the realm of the walking dead as I get closer to retirement age and the end of my life. An unknown person’s quote said “ I am going to live the rest of my life, so far, so good. And that pretty well sums me up. At one time I questioned whether the oilfield was going to kill me, or if I was with my wicked ways, and drinking to excess. I have quit both none too soon, but while I was going I made a hell of an effort to always put myself in the forefront to my own destruction by choosing the occupation I did.  
      We were called out on a well outside of Coshocton, Ohio on what they called a Rose run well. A little deeper than a normal Clinton well and what they were looking for was a vein of gas that just produces like the dickens if you can control it, but they couldn’t. We arrived to watch the well as it unloaded the mud and chemicals they use to create a head of fluid above the gas in the pipe to control it, assuming you have more weight in mud and a stiffer mud to prevent the gas from escaping the well. If you fail, it all gets blown above the derrick and comes raining down much like the old wildcatter oil wells you would see in the movies. Once it starts unloading or blowing out of the hole, little can be done to stop it. Really you are better off just evacuating the rig and making sure there is nothing to start a fire. Natural gas is causing all this pressure and if picked up by a diesel engine it will cause an engine to race and blow up uncontrollably, maybe causing sparks from flying pieces of metal. It is best to shut down all diesel and gas engines as well no smoking in the vicinity of the drilling derrick.
     The mud with the gas blasts out of the hole so violently I have seen it shake the drill floor and substructure so hard, it just trembled and shuttered and shook as if the whole thing was coming down.  As soon as the pressure in the well blew out sufficiently it would die down until it once again it would burst forth from the well in repetitive cycles. In between times the rig hands would do what they could to try and calm the well down. This well had a BOP or blow out preventer but it wasn’t working and was more for show than anything so shutting the well in with it was out of the question. They had tried to mix mud and cement to pump down and create a head and that wasn’t working. They needed to be able to shut it in once it had a head on it and so they thought if they could throttle it down with an 8 inch to 2 inch reducer off their flow line to the pit they could put a valve on it and close it in and hold the gas once it had been contained. I watched as they installed the 8 to 2 inch reducer and installed the valve as the well was resting in between times of spewing. They had time to wrap a chain around the reducer and began to load the well with mud and cement. We watched from a safe distance as we saw the well start to unload and then we saw the chain tighten around that reducer and actually pull in two pieces and more from stretching, and suddenly that metal reducer shot off the end of the flow line and flew a good 400 yards into the valley below, as well the chain never had a piece recovered larger than 3 feet long and it was stretched to no end.
     The well was out of control and we never did log the well as it was too dangerous to even think about putting our equipment down the hole. They probably just hooked up a gas line to the well after pulling the rig off and let the flush or first production run out.  Or just kept trying to pump heavy mud into it, hoping to eventually tame it, but without some sort of a valve or gate system on top of the well they never would be able to complete the well as it should have been. This is similar to the type of wells they say they are experiencing now, the gas production is really high as well there is a lot of fluid produced also but these wells today have BOP’s, blow out preventers, that work and spotless rigs and workers who are so common and look like anyone else as compared to a definite stereotypical grunge worker that existed when I worked in the oilfields. It seems as I hear about explosions and fires making up moist of the injuries and death now in the oilfield.  As well where the trucks are driving on the road more there seems to be a lot of oilfield trucks in bad wrecks now. We should have had more of that back when I was working but it never seemed too bad, fender benders but nothing major or out of the ordinary.
      Mostly we heard about rig deaths and burns. In fact I had a supervisor who walked into an open stream of natural gas blowing off a well pipe with a lit cigarette in his hand. He knew better but claimed the cigarette couldn’t have caused the flame that consumed the upper half of his body and resulted in plastic surgery to correct the third degree burns to his body, as his shirt melted to his skin and later peeled off. He returned to work vehemently denying any involvement, yet it was his cigarette that was determined to be the sole source of ignition of the flame. Some people are just ignorant and bull headed,  and both those attributes could have been easily weighed upon him without regret. Instead of setting an example we could live up to,  he set one we tried to forget, and yet he remained a boss, purely because he was burned.

       




No comments: