Friday, December 5, 2014

its a bird, its a plane, no its a flying scumburger!!!!

The Flying Scumburger Truck

pretty much the same thing as mine except it had pipe bumpers in rear also 

    It was nothing for us to be called out to some crazy directions and when you are tired and have to read someone’s chicken scratch roughed out on a borrowed piece of paper while driving down the road, you sometimes might miss a few things, like the right road. We were out on a long job and I was working for two days by myself and had already seen three jobs while doing my 4 days on and had maybe 4 hrs. sleep I stole, while the tool was tripping out of the hole.
    Tripping is a term we applied to the tool as it logged or recorded all the various rock formations in about 3000 feet of hole. By looking at their density and porosity we could tell approximately what rock strata we were going through. And when there was a correlating rise in temperature and you could see a corresponding spike in the reading, as it shot above the 55 degree threshold in a sudden temperature spike. You would know you were in a hydrocarbon layer of oil or gas rock strata, and along with this would be a more porous sandstone with a certain density corresponding to the known densities of oil bearing rock from core samples taken on a another well or possibly that well while drilling.
     It was a slow and monotonous process and required only the engineer to be at the controls in the event the tool would hang in the hole. It would run maybe 12 feet per minute as it snailed itself up the well. These were very expensive highly sophisticated tools for measuring rock physical characteristics in a time proven manner, and very hard to recover had our line snapped or hung up in the hole. It usually required a fishing expedition to try and recover the tool regardless of cost involved, as most used radioactive sources and would render an oil well useless as the oil would be tainted with radioactivity if never retrieved. I trusted the seasoned engineer at the controls and jumped into the sleeper we had on the truck to catch a few Z’s while he finished the job. He woke me and said we were ready to go, and I said ,you mean pack up equipment, and he said no he had already had everything stowed on the truck , and had called the office and they were sending us on our fourth job and that we needed to get going. He knew I needed sleep and let me sleep as long as he could. He said the next rig was waiting on us. So in 2 days working the first sleep I was able to get was the four hours in the sleeping bunk inside an idling truck in the middle of nowhere.
      We had a coffee pot and water and soon I was drinking a cup of coffee and was looking at the set of directions Scotty had left me as he went ahead to find the well site and let them know I was on my way. I stowed the coffee pot and grabbed some more coffee in a cup and headed to the front of the truck. It was as they described a cab over 4070 international with full sleeper, leather interior, pipe bumpers and a PTO winch that would pull you out most anything. It was over 30 feet long on an extended beefed up chassis and also had pipe bumpers and stabilizers in the rear. Painted bright blue with the Scumburger emblem in white, an awesome looking machine even by today’s standards though, I doubt few exist as we beat the heck out of them twisting the frames and generally just driving them in the ground. Springs were constantly replaced and maintenance was ongoing. When you were not driving the truck to a job, you were fixing something.
    This wasn’t all bad as you gained in depth knowledge of the workings of a larger semi type truck, but this was in actuality a semi on a long wheel based tandem axle frame. An oilfield special edition generated by years of abuse and redesign to make them the tanks they were. As I said before it had 40 speeds forward and 8 reverse by means of a ten speed Road Ranger transmission and a four speed auxiliary transmission. There was a gear for almost any type of mud and torque situation you could possibly get these trucks into. With the weight of the winch on back and with 15000 feet of steel cable, the truck was maxed out on the weight limit before adding the tools and equipment we would take along with us.
     It was surprisingly quick in the pickup and go department as it had a large Cat engine with a turbocharged induction system giving the truck plenty of get up and go as you went up through the gears. Half to three quarters of the gears you never used anyhow till you were off road, instead you left the auxiliary in high and shifted with the regular Road Ranger transmission. I was soon getting gears as I left the last well site and was hitting the open road sipping on my still hot coffee and trying to wake up.
    The next job wasn’t a real far away job as we seemed to never have back to back jobs. One job would be in Youngstown and three hours later you would be in Marietta, Ohio and then back to Mansfield, before heading home to Wooster where we were stationed out of. So getting a job outside of Mount Eaton on the way home from Marietta meant we may have a chance for some home time before the next round of rigs would come in. There must have been thirty rigs drilling in Ohio at the time, and each rig would require two trips out which meant there would be 60 trips out for well logging alone not counting perforating or whatever else we would do. And if our shop was slowing in work and our crews and equipment were needed in another state we would haul butt for that state and do more wells. I once put in 114 hours in one week on a trip to New York State to do a well. Actually went and lost my turn at my days off.
        The way it works is you have three operators or drivers per truck, and with one person taking 2 days off and coming back to work to relieve the next guy.  This allows the company to have 24 hour day coverage and 365 days a year as you worked holidays also. Works fine but having a weekend off is a luxury as the weekdays are odd numbered and it was rare to get a Saturday and Sunday off together. And sometimes one of your coworkers would be off for vacation or whatever and you would be alone with the engineer in his blue LTD to work the jobs coming in. In theory it sounds good, but when you are not guaranteed those days off or you have to plan around your days off or you work the entire four days as I did  when I went to New York state. It becomes a pain in the ass real quick.
      As I was driving down the road, I managed to miss the turnoff as I headed up St. Rte.  250 into Mt. Eaton opting to make a right turn at the first road to the right to bring me back to where I was supposed to be. It was an Amish buggy path, more a shortcut for the Amish to keep them off the main road, and although still navigable by truck with no restrictions it was still slow going as It was nothing but buggy wheel marks in the soft gravel, as it was early Spring after a heavy freeze and the road was heaved in places making it muddy and loose. I didn’t want to get stuck as I was needed on the job site and also didn’t want to tear the road up for the Amish.  I never knew what was over the next hill as the road was narrow and barely wide enough for the truck. I just took my time and figured the road would intersect another hard road and then I could get back to where I needed to be.
     Finally I came up to an intersection and I looked to the left and saw a sign, but it had its back to me so I couldn’t read it and there was a street sign and a road to the right. I turned right onto a wide paved street and grabbed a gear and sighed, glad that was over as it was tense driving to avoid getting stuck or tear things up. I needed to catch up for time lost so I started pushing the truck harder and was getting gears and picking up speed fast and I topped this little rise in the road and there was another warning sign on the right with a sharp left hand turn, and I could see the turn and they were not shitting a bit but I was as I was going way to fast to make that turn and there was a drop off of about six feet into a field on the other side of the turn. This truck with the winch on back was top heavy meaning if I tried to take the turn I would have rolled the truck. If I drive straight off the turn and land in the fields I stand a better chance of keeping the truck on its feet. Also I’m sure I stand a hell of a lot better chance of not getting hurt.
      I only had about 50 feet to brake as hard as I could decision or not, thinking any reduction in speed from the 45 I was going when I first saw the curve would be better. I really had no choice but to go straight over the bank with the truck. The truck started to fishtail a bit in the rear and slide sideways and I just let up on the brakes and braced myself for what was a surreal moment in my life as I launched a 23 ton truck into the air, it traveled through the air I’m sure for a whole second until gravity and Mr. Newton’s laws took effect and reminded me why I shouldn’t have been in such a hurry. As one friend of mine old Claude mentioned to me afterwards and stuck in my memory as he said, ‘That oil has been down there for millions of years and he says no matter what any boss says , a few more minutes isn’t going to make a damn bit of difference.’ He was right; they still ended up with their oil well done anyhow.
     Well 23 tons in flight as the truck must have been a site to behold as it was weightless as a feather flying through the air the 50 or 60 feet it flew in a horizontal path straight off the road but believe me when it hit it felt like 50 tons coming down as I looked at the rear end mushroom the mud out of the ground, out in a fresh sown wheat field with green stubble coming up in nice little three inch shoots. Mud and tools were flying everywhere as anything loose in the back of truck quickly exited the truck and scattered through the fields. Everything in the cab of the truck including the bed of the sleeper and dust long forgotten in crooks and crannies throughout the inside of the cab came rushing forward as I was caught in tsunami of trash I never knew I harbored inside that cab. The air was thick with dust so bad i could taste it and when i tried to see where I was going as obviously I was still rolling, but I could barely see out the window. I hit the brakes again and shoved in the clutch and started to roll down my window to let some fresh air in and dust out, as a brown cloud escaped through the window and things began to settle down and the truck had stopped rolling.  I myself besides bouncing around was held firm in my seat, by my seatbelt, and I had ducked down at the last minute, when I felt I was going to hit avoiding smashing my head against the ceiling, still it was a jolt to my body. I looked out the side window and into the rearview mirror and the truck was still standing upright, and still had axles and otherwise looked ok from what I could see.
     I shoved the mattress back in place and readjusted things in the cab and stared in wonder at dirty magazines suddenly revealed, left by another operator buried in a nook someplace undoubtedly.  As I stared at a picture of a nude lady who undoubtedly looked great I began to feel the absurdity of all that had just happened to me in the last minute or two and began to realize how truly lucky I was . Especially after looking back up the hill at the road of which I was at least a couple hundred yards from in a now muddy field of wheat. Two huge ruts starting 50 feet from the road’s edge, and mushroomed up in the air where the rear wheels landed in the soft ground and actually eased my landing and compared to what may have happened if I had tried to go round the corner.  My speed would have been too high to make it and I would have rolled with a lot worse consequences. Tools and boots and whatever scattered the mushroomed area where the truck landed and I jumped out of the cab and looked around to see what damage I had done. Outside of tearing up this farmers wheat field very little damage could be seen or was ever found when I returned to the shop later on as we checked the truck more thoroughly. The truck was ok and I gathered everything up in a hurry and threw it on the truck as the engineer obviously had no idea where in the heck I was or that I had wrecked.
      I was pretty experienced at driving in the mud by this point from being a farmer and working in the oilfields and know sometimes when to go and when to stay. I put the truck in gear after I was back in and tried to go in reverse first, as the tires had a pile of mud in front of them from trying to stop. And it moved a couple of feet.  I tried going forward in a gear I normally used off road with a lower auxiliary gear and a higher forward gear giving me more torque and speed, the truck was rolling through the piles and I was able to turn it and head for an opening to the road about 100 yards downs from the turn where the road grade and field grade met, making it easier to get the truck back on the paved road. As much mud as I was turning up I felt I would be lucky to get back on the road without getting stuck. Instead I made it despite my fears and soon I was cleaning my tires debating what to do about the farmer’s field. It was a mess, especially with what looked like two big furrows or swaths of mud arching down into the field and coming back up on the road. I had no other person involved in my little accident, and I was needed on a job site and would have to take the truck to call anyhow so I decided to just go on to the well I was supposed to. There was no one around that saw anything or was there when I left. I lucked out or so I thought.
      I get to the jobsite and me and the engineer, as I called him, Beam Me Up Scotty, we started checking out the truck and all the tools as we went ahead and did the testing we were supposed to. In my haste of gathering things up I somehow had misplaced my boot back at the place I had wrecked , I was forced to wear tennis shoes in the mud or a smaller pair of boots I could just barely fit my big feet into . I made it through the job with the boots, and never was so glad to get those things off that I decided to go back and retrieve my other boot from the wreck site after we finished the job. My engineer chooses to go on to the shop and prepare them to the fact I had almost wrecked the truck while I returned to the scene of the crime. Little had changed since the few hours I was gone and still no one was around. I hurriedly went into the field and where the truck had come down and mushroomed up the soil it had completely buried my boot hidden by obscurity to me, when I was looking for lost items off the truck before. This time I could pick it out, and like an archaeologist uncovering a major find I hurriedly snatched the half full boot of mud up in my arms and headed for the road. When I hear a, ‘Hey you’, real loud.
     I look across a field opposite of where I had parked the truck on the road before the sharp turn and there was this man running across the field waving his arms telling me to stop. I assured him I wasn’t going anywhere and he slowed to a hard breathing walk as he stretched his old limbs out in a stride he had done before. As he came closer his chore coat and bib overalls told me that this might be the owner of the field of wheat I had destroyed earlier. I said Hi and he asked if I was the one who tore up his field and I assured him I was, and that our company would pay damages.  I explained I was driving too fast and didn’t realize that corner was there till it was too late. He asked why I had left and I told him I was needed on a job, and that I had full intentions of returning and seeing if I could find the owner, and we exchanged information and I climbed back in the truck. The farmer was pissed but was compensated for his loss even though he never resown the field, but he was able to get his fertilizer and seed money back.
      From that point I took the truck on around the sharp corner in the opposite direction from where I had went off the road. Four black tire marks on the pavement shooting straight off into the field let everyone else be warned of the consequence of not making the turn. I was puzzled when the farmer asked me if I didn’t see the warning sign for the corner on back up the road. I asked him again if he meant the one at the turn, he said no there was another one on up there. If there was I totally missed it and I was determined to see if I was seeing things or not. And when I retraced my steps and returned to the Amish buggy path, I noticed that sign with its back to me on the left  as I had turned on to the paved road to the right. So I went further past the buggy drive to see what was on that sign and sure enough, it was a sign warning me of the sharp right hand turn. It was placed in the wrong place on the road. I guess they assumed mostly buggies would use that one road, so they placed the sign before the road as it would stand out clearer.
      I was called in on the carpet and lectured about how to slow down and take things easier all the while they knew it was their own wish and desire for me to go as fast as I can so they have to pay me less. Regardless of whether it was my fault or not, or that there may have been extenuating problems that I encountered, I was slapped on the back of the wrist and told not to do that I again. Like I would drive 23 ton truck off the road in flying leaps just for the hell of it, well maybe I would. For a moment we were both free, the truck and I as we were soaring through the air and until the hard reality of gravity sank home and spoiled my little blue flying Scumburger truck.






No comments: