Tuesday, May 5, 2015

almost had fried chicken

Moved the Chickens




     Despite my best efforts to try and get to them early , I didn’t manage to get to them early enough and it was hot in the greenhouse, so I just loaded them into the crate and moved them despite not having the plastic up on the end of the new chicken house. I did manage to get it on there by the end of the day but ended up working in the rain to accomplish it.
    The heat is starting to build in the greenhouse nice and the pool  temperature has went up dramatically, as well my plants are suffering from burn out as I still don’t have the leak fixed but did spend sufficient time yesterday watering everything. It was sad to see the leak be so bad that most of the water went into my retention pond, though not totally wasted, but still not on the plants as I would prefer it. Today is time to attack the second leak and do some work in the greenhouse repotting when I need a break from the water line fix.



   I have some minor things to do in the chicken house to get things finalized there, and will try and get those daily one at a time until I finish things up. Need to close in a couple of minor holes that would allow small birds in , but doubt seriously a clumsy chicken could escape through. A coon might be able to enter though, so I need to get them closed in. I just placed a crate in the chicken pen to allow the chickens to roost on until I can get more serious on that issue and install permanent roosts. As well I have no setting boxes but from my calculations I would say the chicks won’t start laying till around the end of June, so this project can be delayed. I think I have some old laying boxes, we had years ago in the garage that would be more than suitable for the girls and would require just taking the time to move them.


     Anyhow I plan on getting off here and get moving on today’s projects while it is cool. I might try hopping into pool later if it heats up, and do some cleaning. Can’t wait to be able to just sit and float, and relax. The chickens seem to be happy running around and jumping into the air for no apparent reason other than they could. I also installed a mirror and have noticed the chickens looking into it at times and seeing another chicken as good looking as them, seemed to be taken aback at the thought and would hurriedly run from the mirror. It was cute to watch.





No comments: