Tuesday, May 19, 2015

have my tomato towers built

Tomato Tower


        Sometimes I wonder if Donald trump started this way. I would bet one thing though in reference to my towers over his, I am sure mine are a whole lot more green and solar as compared to his behemoths that do nothing but raise the heels of the elite over the backs that support them in an effort to be the one from which all shit rolls downhill. When you are at the top of the hill, you never have to worry. That is unless you need something to eat, and your money isn’t worth anything, or you have pissed off those that support you.
     Well the nice thing about shit rolling down hill is if you are at the bottom, then you can always compost, and grow yourself something to eat. Try doing that in a skyscraper. I am sure old Donald trump has a compost pile in his penthouse. If not he probably should. Then again instead, he has probably an underground bunker somewhere he can head to in a hurry. If not he could always lock himself in the bottom of one of those skyscrapers and turn on his grow lights fueled from his in house gen-set, and get the hired help to plant tomatoes on his piles of green. Surely with all that money I am sure he has contingency plans, and they don’t include me, so I need to quit worrying about him and concentrate on me.
   Anyhow I managed to get my tomatoes planted, and was able to select a piece of wood for the bear I am giving away. I have it all set up to carve, and will start with that job tomorrow. I have some great compost I stuffed into the inner cores of the tomato towers and I also used some good topsoil to place the cages on, making the whole thing a huge mound of friable highly organic soil. Giving their tender roots the best possible chance of being all they can be.



     I say soil as dirt is too dirty to talk about. Soil is the basic building and support structure on which plants grow or things are built. Dirt is the stuff caught under your fingernails, or the stuff that is swept under the carpet. Much like the getting the dirty down low on someone’s personal life, now would you grow anything in what could be someone’s dirty little secret, or in their dirty clothes. I think if you grow it in soil it sounds a lot better. This is just a point I would like to make if anyone comes around this weekend asking if I have any dirt for sale. I might have to ask will it be natural or would you want Joe as in Joe Dirt. Anyhow I am not equipped to let you have a lot of soil but could possible help you out with a pickup or two if you need it.
      I have taken soil classes, and as well worked in a lab as a lab technician determining the organic content of soil as well as a wide range of quantifiable variables that will represent the various characteristics of soil. Really don’t use a lot of that information or does it have any relevance to soils we need to grow things in as the one thing that seems to make the most difference, and that is the organic content of the soil. The more organic the soil is the higher the yield, the healthier the plant is going to be, and the more resistant it is going to be drought conditions. Along with the increase of organic content, is the amount of major supporting chemicals that stimulate growth as they occur naturally and have it available for immediate use by plants. So it is very important that if you want to grow organically then you will need to have organics to incorporate in the soil. I will try and address the need for the backyard gardener to have a compost pile. What makes them work and how you can best help yourself trying to maintain one.




     But I will save for another post. Today is the 601st post I have had in my blog having rolled the 600th yesterday. I am heading into the realm of having almost 2 full years of writing daily behind me. It won’t happen for a while as that would be 720 pages. I am closing in on it though. But then it is so ingrained in me now it is quick becoming a way of life. A scope of my mental fitness if it may be and as you check in and say to yourself, wonder what the crazy kevin is going to bitch about today. In the back of your mind isn’t it nice to know someone else is having a worse day than you, and I too am glad you show up and commiserate with me. Thank you. 

No comments: