Friday, May 15, 2015

open house 2015-may23

Farms Getting closer to my Open House for Yockey Greenhouse




     I am still looking at May 23, 2015, as the date for my open house this year. Starting at around 10 AM and going to whenever. I will also be open for 2 weeks after daily from 10-6 if you would still like some plants. I will also be having a yard sale cleaning out some extra tools and miscellaneous from the garage. There will be fishing poles and tackle for sale at this yard sale and more man stuff. But who knows what may turn up before the day of the open house? An area in the garage will be set up specifically for the yard sale. Anyone else interested in selling their stuff can contact me and I will do my best to accommodate your yard sale items also. This will be for free.
      I have plenty of trees available for sale from blue spruce to hawthorns, to Norway spruce, and a wide variety of trees that are native to our region of Ohio. I have perennials like daffodils potted up and have some swamp lilies available in pots also. Not a bad variety of potted plants but have cut back on the bedding plants and instead have added some features like a straw bale garden and will have different exhibits on that order to make planting off the edge of the patio easier and more user friendly. This will help the urban as well as the rural gardener help provide more produce in less space.
      Tomatoes in a two cage planting will allow you to have an inner core of organic compost surrounded by a ring of tomatoes. The idea of this is that it allows the nutrients of the compost to become saturated when the plants are watered through the central core. This requires less watering and allows the plants to absorb the nutrients leaked out through the compost, giving the plants all the necessary nutrients with little fuss or mess on your part. It also reduces the weeding and avoids the blossom end rot problem as you can just discard the compost into your flower gardens and just acquire new compost for the next year. This is just a test and next year at open house I hope to have some idea of how well it works.



     One reason my bedding plants are not as plentiful as last year is that I am adjusting to using all non-GMO seeds or heritage seeds. It seems as if the tomatoes didn’t respond to well to my usual starting methods but then I couldn’t get them into the greenhouse as early as I wanted as it was too cold, and I didn’t have the water due to water line problems. I have the water line problems taken care of but it is to late to replant so will not worry because I over planted the last couple of years and had to give away plants.
      Another thing I am going to try is a potato tower. I have bought and cut potatoes for planting and intend to plant them in a cascading tower arrangement where at each level the plants will be able to grow in a pyramid fashion and in the fall you just tear it apart and have potatoes in the center pf the pyramid. This again is just a test and I will keep you informed as to how it progresses. The idea again is for the off the patio growing of your own vegetables and produce to help offset your needs. Again you can shuttle the spent soil to your flower beds and use new soil the next year to void potato blight. This should reduce the space required as well ease the work involved as now you are maximizing space and reducing the work involved watering , and weeding as you will plant in crowded conditions allowing only the plant intended to grow. Trimming or mowing around this as well as tilling the soil as one would do in a conventional garden should also be eliminated.
       My idea of adding items like the potato tower or the tomato ring is to try out new methods of growing your own locally as easy as possible for the home gardener. With the drought in certain parts of the country and specifically California, it may be of everyone’s interest to once again take advantage of our wonderful water and excellent soil to produce your own and save money. I won’t make much money off your work but it isn’t all about the money as much as it is helping my neighbors get by the best they can. If all I can do is provide the tools for learning a better way, then both you and I will be better off.

    A hay ride to the top of the hill and a carved bear will be up for grabs; as well some refreshments will be made available. More on this will follow in the days leading up to the open house. Hope you all can come and look and buy if you want, if not learn a little and maybe try something new, and have some fun.

No comments: