Friday, January 31, 2014

end of one path and a start to a new road.


Maybe I Just Need to Talk




     Sometimes it isn’t so easy being alone.  Sure I have no one else in my life and maybe by the time I analyze all that has happened and could possibly happen , I may say to myself alone is the only place to be. In reality it is my decision I have to make with my life and direction I want my life to go in the future.
    Recently I made the decision to sell the cattle here on the farm. Earlier in a blog I alluded to the fact I was using more hay than usual and didn’t really know what I was going to do. Buy more hay and invest more money into cows I barely get the food bill out of on a yearly basis in increased wealth. Mom liked seeing them and honestly I will miss them terribly also.
    It is hypocritical of me as a person to keep the cattle on and think there was an alternative ending to them other than what has to be. Unfortunately beef cows have one eventual end in sight. Been a farmer enough years for that. Before I felt it was essential for my survival. Recently I quit eating red meat within the last year , part of it was a health decision to reduce cholesterol and weight, to which I have been moderately successful in reducing the bad cholesterol and also in losing close to 50 lbs. at the best I was doing. Anyhow the change of diet led me to believe that red meat isn’t nearly as essential part of a diet as it was before. While I was eating beef as I did for years I justified their raising as an acceptable practice. I no longer think it is necessary. And feel that long term consumption of beef has risks associated with it I chose to avoid as well. I want no part of raising beef for human consumption.



    Recent studies have suggested that beef and dairy production are one of the leading causes of methane production contributing to the global warming. In fact I intend to stay away from producing livestock of any means . Seems I have a problem liking my animals too well. At one point our family was looking into raising chickens , 30000 to a barn and 3 barns full of brooder chickens , 90000 chickens on 4 ac. ‘s of land. I walked into these chicken houses and tried to imagine taking care of that many chickens and walking the floors shooing chickens out of your road as they lay by the feeders and eat. If you ever get a chance visit a farm and see where your food comes from. I admire farmers who can provide for all American’s on a daily basis, animals, to feed the masses.



     I have to buy more hay to keep the cows. On top of that the feed I am buying and some quick economics tells me get big or get out. Daily I fed and took care of these cows and have seen them almost every day in last 7 years. I carried my bull to the barn to get him out of the mud and snow. Now there is no way I could even think about it.
     Anyhow I don’t plan on getting out of farming, but instead changing the way I farm in the future. I plan on doing more with the trees and raising perennials, and will start planting and trimming of Christmas trees for sale. I would like to sell the trees potted and include free planting in spring . This would include delivery and set up to your house and free planting on your property in spring. I really am not into killing Christmas trees either, and figure that we could all use more trees in our backyards and less neighbors. If nothing else when trees are too big, I will give them a permanent home here on farm till I fill all the fields up.
   Anyway I go, the farm and our environment will be better for my part in all this. At least I am hoping. The cattle thing I would have had to deal with anyhow.

     Seems kind of funny as I lay my thoughts out before you I suddenly realize that if I had been with someone else I might have to take their opinion into consideration. Well missed that bullet for now. It isn’t that what I do will make a huge difference in anything on a large scale basis, but it is the little things that make a huge difference in our own backyard. Mine will be without the cattle. Still have to work on that alone thing. 

No comments: