Friday, February 28, 2014

part-one- things that go bang

Things that go bang


 almost in my backyard - thanks to dynamite

        I saw this statement on a Craigslist ad, and it immediately took me back to my days as a blaster’s helper on strip mines around here. I worked for Atlas Explosive Service Company. One of the largest suppliers of dynamite in the world or was. The companies in the business of providing explosives like to change their name or their location or make up a limited liability company to shield themselves from the onslaught of lawyers intent on chasing them into financial ruin, and with good reason. Things happen when you play with dynamite.
     Some gets left behind and found by the wrong people. Your inventory comes up short, and you realize you have no clue where it went. These are just a couple of the common reasons lawyers chase them. Other reasons may be more lame in comparison but still affect people’s lives like back injuries like mine as they insist on the tradition as they load boxes of dynamite to full and assume 60 lbs is a safe level for one man to load or unload on a daily basis all day long, and then you blow your back out loading and unloading the boxes as you haul across rough uneven ground to load the holes or even to store in bunkers. This happened to me back in 1987 as I was unloading a semi full of dynamite. I can honestly say that I never left any dynamite unaccounted for while I was around that company but I did suffer from a bad back because of those jokers.
     My first days working there were not an easy experience at all. But the lessons I learned wasn’t from the workers but from the delivery people who apparently knew more than I did. The doors of their semi-trailer would go up and a driver would climb into his trailer and start throwing boxes at the rear of the trailer from somewhere within. Some would land on the ground and those that didn’t make it were kicked out of the back of the trailer by the driver onto the ground, all marked class A explosives, and blasting caps was clearly printed on the labels. I was ducking as the driver was laughing at me as apparently he knew it was my first day.  I gathered up the boxes and but failed to find any humor in his attempt to scare the hell out of me. He did let me know how safe they were for the most part. By themselves blasting caps and dynamite itself are fairly safe as long as they are never shipped together.  Both are class A explosives but if they are on the same vehicle have to be carried in separate fire proof compartments.
     So we would get a truck full of dynamite in or a  truck full of caps. Caps were light and easily could be tossed around but the dynamite I dreaded getting in, mainly because of the nitro headaches one would get from prolonged exposure inside a closed container with dynamite.
      Dynamite is a combination of nitro glycerin, perlite, which are tiny  glass shells about an eighth of an inch in diameter which provides a certain amount of oxygen needed at a crucial moment of ignition to intensify the chemical reaction and resulting explosion, also sawdust to disperse and hold the nitro in suspension till ignited, and ammonium nitrate to also intensify the reaction of the explosion wrapped inside a cardboard container to neatly allow the blaster to safely handle. This is all common information lacking specific information as to quantities of each involved, or a specific recipe. I would suggest and warn you that making dynamite, or an explosive device at home has consequences which usually don’t turn out very well.  No wonder they have a team of lawyers and change their company name often, is it?


this is where electricity comes from -isn't it pretty? 


      The process of making dynamite hasn’t changed much over the years and far as I know is still handled in a traditional way Alfred Nobel of Nobel Prize is famous for, as he was the inventor of dynamite and a safe way to handle the explosive nitro glycerin. Nitro by itself has to be carefully poured into glass containers and not allowed to get hot, or cannot be dropped and in the old western movies would be suspended in a box  full of sawdust with test tubes full of nitro inside, hanging in the air suspended by ropes to assure it would not bounce in the back of a buckboard and blow up a cowboy or two. Accidents were common usually resulting in a loss of life, so Alfred Noble having invented dynamite and a safe way of handling nitro is accredited with one of the most important inventions of mankind. This allowed us to wage wars and win without a major loss of life as just handling nitro had the same devastating consequence of losing lives as it took to win wars. Dynamite was and has been a major influence on the outcome of war, let alone the construction and extraction of minerals and ores locked in our earth. Only one other thing has moved more earth than dynamite in the evolution of man and that is the earthworm. Capable of passing more material through its body in a days’ time, the earthworm will consume up to ten times its body weight daily. This is according to Darwin who exhaustively studied earthworms and when you multiply the weight passing through their body daily and the number of earthworms in the soil, you can easily see it would average millions of tons daily.  And most of this is done in the first 5 feet below us. Just another fact for comparison.
      Dynamite is a relatively new product having been developed in the last half of the 1800’s, and so has a lot of catching up to do. But in the last couple of centuries has worked hard to close the gap. A cheaper method of moving large quantities of material allowed the industrial revolution explode so to speak as railroads were built , and factories could grow much larger and buildings taller as a cheap source of materials was now available from a variety of different sources. Replacing horse and man power and in a relatively short time, one person with a twist of his wrist could do what it took thousands of hours to do. Alfred Nobel made millions off his patent and was dismayed to a degree to see its use as a means of winning wars and being used for an entirely different purpose than what it was designed for. And so set up a trust fund to reward the most important influences on peace and the betterment of man resulting in the Nobel peace prizes. I am only telling you of all this , some or all you may know , as a means of helping you understand , the importance of having explosives in our society , and its impact on our lives.
      We rarely hear of explosives in our day to day to society, but I can attest to the fact they are out there, and I would say that your chances of passing a dynamite truck are pretty good in our area and more so due to the extraction of coal and limestone due to surface mining of these products locally in our area. For the most part they have it down to a science, but dumb shit happens. More of this will be related to you as I go along on a maybe three or four part series I am working on. I have a plan; just don’t know how long my plan is due to my inconsistent use of liberating my tongue or my mind as the case may be. So daily I intend to take you along on a journey on things that go bang, and what it meant to me and partly to you, as we have a tendency to share the same space at times. If not locally then globally as we both share the same planet at times. Although there are a few people I have known to be completely alien and hardly a part of the human race or act like it , and if so may be the reason they seem out of this world, and if so will have to excuse me as this pertains to all the rest of us here on earth. I digress; a mind is a terrible thing to waste but in my case coupled with a tongue can surely be as explosive as dynamite, hold on to your chair. Dad always told me I wouldn’t be smart enough to blow my nose even if I had a head full of dynamite, maybe with all I have to say you might agree.
     
      





No comments: