Wednesday, February 12, 2014

she was free!!!

Mudder Busted Out Again!!

early morning pic


   Yes folks the same calf who escaped on loading day when the rest of the herd went, she decided she wanted to stay, well today it is different as she wanted to go. She went to the same place I saw her on loading day and that was the area to the side of the barn where I store the hay .
     I bring in a round bale and then cut it apart and roll it out and she busted out and was eating off the bale outside her barn this morning. As clever and devious as she is , she left a few clues as to who it might be. Tell tail droppings of the large gooey size, like I stepped in before. A half-eaten bale of hay outside the barn and none of the hay inside the barn touched. And lastly her fat butt where it shouldn’t have been. Anyhow I sent my cow dog Babe on her.
       Oh by the way Babe really isn’t a cow dog, in fact she is the worse cow dog you ever saw. As both the cow and me have both stopped and wondered just what this dog is trying to do. Finally I have to threaten babe  with Mr. Stick or even put her in the house at times to get her to finally leave the cow and I alone. Her rants and mouthwatering flinging, barking melee is enough to deaden you. Every time I do anything Babe goes off and I can’t control her but only laugh at how irritating a mess she can be. It doesn’t stop until at last she finally quits on her own which is hardly never. And if she is chasing a cow, she doesn’t herd or block the cow off she barks and chases her as fast as she can out of sight through the neighbor’s garden and into the next county if I would let her.
       I told Babe to go ahead and put that silly heifer in. Anyhow Babe stalked her way through the snow, her eyes always intent on the heifer until the heifer realized that this time maybe she should return to the pasture with dignity as if any of us, meaning Babe and I would even care, considering all this fine young lady has put me through. Instead of grabbing a bale of hay today for her to eat, I could have been loading her up to go to the sale barn. She doesn’t care but in some funny way I  really think she symbolizes my bad karma. It is a culmination of all my wrongs bundled up in a hunk of heifer.



       Well bad karma or not Babe would do a slink belly crawl and all the time watching the heifer and me. As if Babe had even the slightest intention to listen to me in the first place. I yelled to Babe “Get her” from over by my trailer, and Babe would advance. Finally Babe up and shooed the heifer  towards the hole in the fence she was used to going through, and tried to bite or nip the heifer in the rear just like she was supposed to for once as the heifer jumped through the hole flinging a leg back in defiance at Babe trying to kick at her. . I knew it was going to be a good day, if I could just once get Babe to pretend to do as she was supposed to. It all just started off a little bit bad, much the same as loading day.
     Anyhow I made arrangements to buy two bee hives and picked them up this afternoon. This I am kinda excited about as I feel it will be a great addition to the gardens, and also for pollination and honey. I use no chemicals except basic household cleaners and I am looking to clean all areas of farm. My hives will be a good distance away from any fields for possible contamination by spraying , so maybe we will be able to produce a good quality natural honey.




    After picking up the hives I returned home and Mudder had decided to stay in the field and not attempt to get out as I had blocked off her hole. It was actually a man pass but since she was a calf she would sneak out that way and through various obstructions like a pitchfork or whatever she would or wouldn’t try it depending on her mood. Lately she has been in a rebel mood. I finally had to close it up. Now I have to go through more wore work to enter the pin. One or hundred cattle, it makes no difference they still take work. On the positive side, one good thing Mudder is good for and that is making crap and giving it. That may be her saving grace. Judging what one heifer can eat and crap in a days’ time is astounding. What I have to go through is no easy feat either. Kinda hard to make money with one, but oh well for now I will try. 

No comments: