Friday, April 13, 2012


art for arts sake 
    
        this isn't mine but i still like it a lot more than i first did. sometimes our first impression of art is sometimes fuzzy as we are looking in comparison to real and it is easy to always find faults with someone else s  work. and i am my own worst critic sometimes, sitting on a piece looking for inspiration to continue, but a lot of times it has to do with my opinion of the piece,  or i am waiting for some stupid reason to finish. my work isn't bad in my opinion but it isn't as good as i would like it to be.
       i am always trying to reinvent myself to make pieces i feel good about and is different than other peoples work. but what happens is that i just smooth out a few rough edges of my style that keeps poking through in everything i do . carving with a chainsaw does suit me as an artist as it still leaves a few rough edges and this is expected in chainsaw work. but it also works well with the style of my work. 
      i have tried several techniques in different media such as oil painting , and hand sculpting. i like to do cartooning and see that a lot in my work especially the big heads . for some reason my style appeals to people and sometimes i am able to please myself . it is at these times i say to myself there is nothing else i can do to a piece to make it any better. and of all the accolades a person can receive this is the best to please yourself above all others. 
       my art was always put on the back burner as people would say that is nice , after putting in tremendous work on something. lacking encouragement even when i was young did little to further my hopes that my art would serve little more than maybe make myself happy someday. i can remember that straight out of high school i wanted to go to art school and ended up in ag school as i needed to have a vocation i could count on. well art was paying its way in the end, my only problem was i started after i had a bad back doing the carving. to little to late. and yet my agricultural training was helpful in my life but may have also lead to my early deterioration of my back . i used to work in a feed mill and had been lifting heavy loads all my life. 
        i also keep up with all the carving blogs and seeing what others are putting out , just boggles my mind and inspires me to find a way to still be useful in my art pursuit. seeing this carving was nice , as i suddenly become excited at seeing a chainsaw carving , and appreciating their work. and accepting it for what it is , a wonderful new way to look at dead piece of wood, that has suddenly been brought to life. always seek your dreams, because it always give you something to aspire to. 

No comments: