Thursday, July 18, 2013

trip to sequoia

Ch.15
Gunnite Has To Go


       Ann looked at lee across the table in their apartment and Lee sat there with his nose stuck in the paper with Susie at his feet. She stared at him a few minutes with some casserole at the end of her fork just playing in her food more than actually having the hunger to eat it. Ann had more of a hunger to share the news of the work she had done today with Lee who had become detached from Gunnnite Corporations’ dealings since his Dads death, and his move into her apartment. It was also partly because Ann choose not to involve him as Lee was also starting his new chainsaw carving business up and she figured he didn't need to know all the little things associated with a corporate takeover. As she stared at him for what seemed to be an extraordinary time until she finally said.
   “Lee I have news. Could be good news I hope, and it seems to be what you and I need now more than ever. “
        Of course when it involved both of them Lee right off looked up from his paper and gave Ann the full attention she deserved having learned long ago there are times when Ann speaks and you half listen and there are times when she includes the both of you that you damn well better listen and this was one of those times.
    “What is it dear?” Lee said in response showing interest as he cocked a furry eyebrow up as if this helped him hear better.
     “I believe Gunnite is ready to be bought out dear and I will no longer be employed but rich.” and she went on, “that doesn't just mean me but the both of us will be rich. “
     “But dear you always were rich, you just couldn't put your fingers on the money and I am glad for you. And I guess I also. “ at the thought of how she included him in her statement and the news was sinking in as  Lee jumped to his feet and congratulated Ann as if she won a gold medal wrapping his arms around her and hugging her and lifting her up on her toes as he kissed her long on her lips .  Then he leaned back with her in his arms and just stared for a few seconds but in those seconds Ann felt her heart fill with joy as nothing else mattered except Lee and her. The world outside was oblivious to her as a warm feeling crept over them both knowing financial independence was something they both looked forward to but seemed so far away especially for Lee. He was guilty only by association on this one. Now he could create as he wanted and Ann could do what now? lee asked himself. And as Lee pondered that question he realized Ann had never spoke of how she was going to live her life after the Gunnite Corp. takeover.
   Finally he asked, “What are you going to do now dear. Daily for years you have been going to the office and making decisions and doing this and that for the company, so what are you going to do now or have you thought about it? Wow it seems we never in all our time even discussed this option. Couldn’t imagine you not having a plan to go to. “
     “Oh I do,” she smiled as she leaned back in his arms and Lee asked in a quizzed way, furling that eyebrow  as if signaling a ship.
     “What would that be young lady? “
     “ Well; nothing at first, all my life I have been going to work at the office as even when we were young my Uncle kept us involved in our family’s business as one day it would be ours to do with as we pleased . Well we did. My brothers and I grew it to this huge conglomerate and now it is time for someone else to do it and I take a break and do nothing at all. I just want to do nothing. Period. At least for a while and then maybe I will get into something else. But for the time being get used to it dear. You might see more of me. “
        “Well I don’t think I could ever see to much of you Ann. Wow, am I glad for you. Tell me the details please. “
       “We are looking at a complete buyout of Gunnite and all subsidiaries and a purchase of our stock options on the company in a three tier payment system with 50 percent of the assets being paid for with 2.5 billion cash. My share is one third of the 51 percent of shares we hold in the corporation or about 832.5 million dollars. This will create a windfall for me so I have spread my share out over 10 years to pay and they accepted those terms. Now then I will have approximately 83.25 million per year for 10 years. At a 50 percent tax rate I am going to be Uncle Sam’s best friend. I imagine he may buy a new nuclear submarine with their new found tax money unless I do something about it. I think I have the solution for both of us. “
     “What’s that?” lee asked as held her in his arms listening to the news.
    “Well rather than just give the money to the government I plan on starting a trust and since we have no kids, it will be for the preservation of America’s farmland. We will buy farms and invest in modern agriculture and start new couples out on farms with a plan for success. They will over time return the investment at no interest and in the end will own the farm. This will assure that our nation has a ready supply of small farmers available to provide a block to corporate farming. The only catch to this whole thing is that the farms need to be organic and cannot use gmo’s as a seed source. I felt we need to help the average person out with this money, I have been blessed to receive and I needed to use it for a good purpose. What do you think?”
   Lee said “I love it dear. We hardly need that much and we have been happy on a hell of a lot less, and as long as you are happy and I am too, then why not. It’s your money”
   “I intend to keep about ten million in a separate trust to be divided among the nephews and nieces after we are gone, but they don’t need to know that. And I am sure we could slip a million or two away for ourselves to do things we want to do.” At this point Lee separated from Ann and dragged her into the living room and sat on the couch with Ann beside him as Susie moved also to keep up with Lee, and they left the dishes as they were with the paper rolled up on the table.
      “So who is going to administer your farm trust? “ lee asked
      “Well I intend to till I make sure it is started the way I want. Want to go buy a farm? She asked Lee and Lee laughed at this. “
   He said. “Dear I just sold one. And I was just saying to myself how glad I was to do that. But what you are proposing is a grand idea. It is so hard for a young couples to get started in farming with the high cost of farmland and equipment and then the interest on the loans soon eat up any profit let alone a drought or flooding occur . In no time if they have financing, they still have money troubles.  To have the money to buy the right equipment to make an operation work is nearly impossible starting out. What a grand plan dear. Whatever made you think of this and why didn't you talk to me about it. Love it dear.’
     “Well I did want to . but you had been so busy with all you had going on I just wanted to deal with this myself and what made me think of it was when we were standing beside the corral the night before the auction and I could see the loss in your face as you stared out over the farm and it kind of broke my heart seeing you that way. To think you had lived your whole life working on that farm and seeing you lose it the way you did was heartbreaking. I thought if I ever have the power to do something about the way that occurred I would try my best to make sure it never happened to anyone else. This was part of the reason I decided to sell along with my brother’ s as I felt they were no longer wanting to be involved in the business. I was also looking for the best good I could do with the money and  being able to keep it tax free as much as possible. Farming is the place to be. Since it is a trust, it can roll the money over indefinitely, and help people for generations. I was just so afraid the family farm is going by the wayside and I hope this will keep independent small farmers a viable part of our economy. I know corporations can be unfeeling and driven by profit but I think food is something we all need as a basic commodity and we shouldn't let corporations tell us when and what to eat. “
      ‘Wow you amaze me dear. I am so lucky to have you in my life’
     “You bet you sweetheart right answer.” She laughed as she teasingly smiled at him and then she leaned over and kissed him slightly on the lips and then he reached his arm around her shoulder and pulled her close to him as he sat beside her and gave her a long sensual kiss to show his desire  for her. He tasted the moist wanting in her mouth as she fell into his arms. She breathed deep as feelings of warmth overflowed her, as she longed for his affection and they both sat and stared at each other as they parted briefly for air. Staring into each other’s eyes, Lee knew he had someone special and wasn't afraid to let her know how important she was in his life. Of all the things she could do with the money she still had that compassion in her soul to help her fellow man. This is really what rich is all about thought Lee. It’s not about yachts or fancy things but instead making money do well for someone else. He smiled and gave her another peck on the lips as he was overwhelmed with the news sinking in. and with Ann he knew it wasn't just hot air she was spouting but that is what she would do. Her word was always good. Lee tugged on her hand and she followed him to the bedroom without speaking and Susie tried to follow but Lee shut the door before she had a chance to enter so she laid in front of the door and curled up and went to sleep, despite the screams of joy she heard many times before coming from behind that door.
  








No comments: