Saturday, July 27, 2013

trip to sequoia ch. 19 cont.

Ch. 19 (cont. )

    Lee was leaning over his shop table when Ann showed up, he was working on the new tennis ball launcher and just about had it together. He tore through his boxes from the farm and found most of the parts required to build the launcher as it was shown. Susie and him piled into the old f-150 and headed to the hardware and were able to find what he needed, as for the plastic pipe lee had those pieces he brought from the farm, not knowing what he was going to need in the shop to get it going. . Susie immediately fell in love with the tennis balls as Lee gave her one to show everyone who happened in. First was Ann,  and Susie was making a point of showing her a new ball but  just staying out of arms reach so Ann couldn’t play with her. Lee tossed another ball to Ann and Susie immediately dropped the other ball and ran to Ann wanting her to throw it and Ann did and Susie ran after that one ,
    Lee said to Ann. “see now you can have her other ball, she is selfish and wants all the balls for herself , typical woman . But will give one up to get the other.” Ann looked at Lee with a smile , and then  played with Susie for a while as Lee worked on the launcher.
   Ann finally came in from the parking lot where Lee had already displayed some of his carvings and announced that Susie had lost one of her balls down the sewer drain , and was coveting the other. Lee suggested they wait to play ball till he finished his ball launcher, as he needed enough tennis balls to see how well it worked . Ann was tired of chasing Susie down to get the balls anyhow and stood and watched lee for a while finally saying.
    “Well you could always use yours, you have such big ones,” laughed Ann and she continued , “ imagine I could use that thing if you ever decided to cheat on me .”
   “Don’t think there would be much of a chance of putting them back on after going through that thing.” remarked Lee. “Besides you are scaring me with your thoughts there dear. A man prides himself in those things, calls them family jewels for good reasons. Just need to keep them safe and warm. ”
     “Well you had better only let me play with them or I guannnteeee you I will be looking for this ball launcher.”
      Lee laughed but hesitantly returned to his work and asked ann if she worked out where they were going to visit along the trip to California.
      Ann returned with. “Well I think we should head straight out there with the van and accomplish what we wanted to do first, and then we can go from there. Maybe Yellowstone or head south to the grand canyon all places we would like to see , I think we should just become gypsy's for about a month and just travel around out west while the weather is good. I have all kinds of money just waiting to be spent and I am looking forward to seeing things I haven’t ever seen in this country. Sure you don’t want to trade in the old V.W. van for a Gulf Stream  Road Warrior with a.c. and all the creature comforts like being self-leveling , and laid out front to back luxury , oh and did I forget the tinted windows.” She laughed at this knowing what Lee’s response would be.
       “That is a gas guzzling behemoth, this type of thing managed to get us all into the type of trouble I am trying to fight against. No way am I going to be a part of that scenario, for one month of travelling we would have to plant so many trees that is all I would get done the rest of my life. And now I don’t even have a farm to plant on. So would have to sneak them into parks and along the roadsides just to find  a  place to plant. “
     “Calm down there rocket man was just making a suggestion as a.c .out west would be nice , but if you want to smell my pits then it is ok with me . Just find me a motel at the end of the day. Did you ever think of taking Guy with us?” as she asked about me.
     Lee said .“Yes I had thought about it a lot, he is a good friend and has extended us hospitality at his place , never taking a dime when he could have rented his little house out to anyone for the weekend  . And he has helped us so much with the van and even gave us the idea to do this in the first place. Yes I would like him to go but thought I would talk to you first. Was hoping you would bring it up. What do you think?” he asked.
     Ann replied, “It just seems the right thing to do , in fact I have taken the liberty to seek out Guy’s old girlfriend Leann  and was going to ask her to come along since it was the two of them that was going to do this in the first place. I hired a detective and found out some stuff about her and he even watched her for a while and said she was still single and living in the same place doing the same job. Maybe she would like to go along also. ?’ Ann said finally explaining for the first time what she was doing behind Lee’s back , and totally unknown to me.
    Lee said calmly,” I don’t know if that is such a good idea playing cupid for Guy, he may not want her in his life now. He knew where she was and before you contact her , I would talk to Lee and see if he wants to go along  Something happened years ago and he really doesn't like talking about it much even though he cares about her. I still think you should promise me to speak to him first before doing anything like contacting her. Miss busybody. Don’t know about you since you have no work to go to. Is this what you are going to do now play cupid for Guy. Who knows maybe he is waiting for a young thing top come along and steal his heart. You never know what he is up to.”
     “Ok. ok I get the point , I just see a lonely old man sitting down there who is still waiting for the love of his life to come along. Maybe we can make another trip down soon and ask him before we leave. If he agrees then maybe I will contact her for him. “said Ann.
   “That’s a lot of maybe’s. Let’s try this thing out.“  Lee said as he applied air pressure to it checking for leaks where he glued the gun. Finding none he took it up to 65 pounds of pressure and inserted a tennis ball into the upper tube and pointed it at the wall of the inside of the garage  and Ann said .
    “You aren’t going to shoot that in here are you? “  Ann asked
   Lee laughed and said yes and with a pull of the trigger let loose the tennis ball and it blew out of the chamber with such force striking the other wall of the garage ricocheting off that concrete block wall and out the garage door with Susie chasing after it.
   “ I think it works. “Said Lee laughing.
    Ann says, “You are crazy aren't you. You could have hurt us both with that thing.”
    Lee laughed and said “I had it all planned dear.” As Susie came back to the garage with the ball in her mouth only slightly worse for the wear, Lee continued. ”I think we need to head to the park and try this thing out. “
     Ann said,” To bad we don’t have two, we could shoot at each other.”
   “No need dear I am half shot anyhow,” Lee said jesting. “I think we are ready to go to Sequoia National Park ,   just need to check with Guy and see if he wants to go.”  Lee said.










No comments: