Saturday, August 17, 2013

trip to sequoia -ch. 30 gateway to the west

Ch. 30
 Gateway to the West 


      I drove west down I -71 towards Columbus Ohio and then west towards St. Louis on i-70.  Our second goal was to go to  Wichita, and see the wheat fields of Kansas, but we had planned on a short layover and a chance to visit the Arch in St. Louis. We were going to a RV camp big enough to handle the Road Warrior as it said easy in, easy out maneuvering for large RV’s. Most RV camps feature this as people are more often dragging cars behind their motorhomes into these places and want to be able to just pull in and straight out. Some parks just specialize in the large campers alone. For about seventy dollars a night all three of us can stay in the Road Warrior and have all the amenities of home including a shower, toilet, air conditioning, etc., and that also includes satellite internet and TV courtesy of the Road Warrior. Also e don’t have to run the generator as they have electrical, water and sewer hookups available.  
     We were headed to a place in Oxford Missouri, just past St. Louis which offered 105 parking spaces dedicated to large campers and we had already pre-registered over the internet and received information on our parking spot including a video scene capture showing the view. We were located on a small lake and we would have lake front access when we arrived.
        Armed with all this information and due to the proximity of the Arch we decided to go ahead and try it. Ann made the arrangements early before starting the trip to assure we would have a space. In a worst case scenario we had a backup plan and that was head for a Wal-Mart parking lot if they are filled. When out here on the road it always helps to have a backup plan.
     I drove most of the trip sitting in the front alone and after their sleep Ann came up and sat beside me in the passenger seat and offered me a drink. I said I could use some coffee. We had some brewed and stored  in a steel thermos and she served it to me with just a hint of the cream just like I like it. Enough moo to make it milky is fine with me. She also offered me a piece of warm bread soaked in butter and fresh strawberry freezer jam which I couldn’t refuse also.
    I am constantly trying to lose weight and will only be so glad to see the rest of Sue’s bread go quickly hoping that Lee and Ann will eat it so I don’t. They are younger and can handle the weight better, besides I have worked hard at trying to lose and needed no incentive to gain it back. But Sue’s homemade bread was so good. As I ate , I wondered how Babe was doing and hoped her and Susie would adjust quickly and not be too hard on Sadie. Bobby said he would bring them into the house at night and they would sleep at the foot of their bed.
     I was glad to hear of this. I really don’t know how much cash Ann gave Bobby but from the feel of the envelope I am sure it was stuffed when I handed it to them. I didn’t inquire but knew Ann would take care of them and only wanted the best for Susie and Babe, and with the money and knowing Bobby and Sue we could assure that it was one less thing to worry about while on the trip.
     Ann eventually went to the rear of the Road Warrior and stretched out across the bed as it was dark outside and night driving offers little to see except an occasional street light at exit ramps. I was used to driving alone for long distances on interstates as I once worked for an oilfield company called Schlumberger. Yes the very one, former vice president Dick Cheny worked for. Could easily understand why they called him Dick instead of Richard after learning more of his philosophy of life after entering the political field. Had I known the ass was my boss I probably would have left the place much earlier. And it explained a few things as to why I was never able to make any money working for them.
    We had this sliding pay scale and it seemed the longer you worked the less you got paid. Guess you didn’t need much as they constantly were hounding you to go to work. I would work four days on and two off and under grueling conditions where safety was an afterthought, and hardly practiced in those days of oilfield wildcatting. The boom was on around Ohio at the time and even though I was blessed to get half my time off when working it never ended up that way as I would sometimes be out for five days and then had to return to work after one day and sometimes I would miss my days off all together, which meant I had to wait for my next cycle of days off. We also worked on an on call basis meaning we were available 24 hours a day when on call. I dreaded the telephone in those days. Nancy our dispatcher was relentless trying to edge us out of bed and head us to the shop where I would load up the truck with the specialty of the day. Whatever that may be, nuclear sources, dynamite, or maybe just a temperature tool, on a long wheel based tandem axle cab-over international truck and with these huge oilfield pipe bumpers and a winch.  This thing was the Cadillac of trucks, having spared no expense on this, Sclumberger would go to all ends outfitting the truck with wire line capable of reaching depths up to twenty thousand feet deep on an oil well.  It would also sport an in house photo lab to develop film rolls we would take of the various rock strata. Our purpose was to identify where the oil was and how much there was of it. We would head out for parts unknown, as most oil wells are drilled in the rural areas, we would never know where we were going to end up.
      One time I started out for New York state, lost a temperature tool down a well, then headed for West Virginia and dropped a truck off there. Then back to Wooster, Ohio in the course of four days, two of them belonging to me as they were my days off. Then I was back at work after returning from that little trip. Before it was over with I had worked one hundred and fourteen hours in that one week. I thought I was going to make a fortune but thanks to Mr. Cheney, and I am sure his sliding pay scale, designed to classically screw me.  I ended up exhausted and underpaid having made little better than minimum wage at the time, a whopping two dollars and sixty five cents an hour, or a total of about four hundred dollars for over one week of work in take home pay. They actually penalized you for working too much but at the same time insisted you work. You couldn’t leave to come home on your days off, as they didn’t have anyone to cover you. Well I worked that job for a couple of years and ended up with some stories and that was about all. You never had time to meet a woman as I was married to my truck. They owned me. It was an experience and I can’t say a good one. But still it made me more than qualified for the task I was up to now.
    Lee finally came up and we talked of the times I spent in the oilfield as knocked off one mile marker than the next as I was suddenly closer to our destination and though it seemed like forever ten hrs. later I was pulling off the interstate and heading down an exit ramp to Phils RV. Camp at Oxford, Missouri.



No comments: