Sunday, August 11, 2013

trip to sequoia ch. 27 - a blast from the past

Ch.27
 A Blast from the Past


     I rummaged through the boxes I had brought with me from the farm and thought I was getting closer to what I was looking for.  A box of Leanne’s stuff I had put away in the hopes that someday I might be able to return it to her. Why I kept it, I had no idea, as if I should care whether she had her stuff back after this long. Three years since I have heard from her and just as I am about to move on I receive a text message saying she wants her stuff along with the bike she had bought and brought to our house so we could use together, when she was here. A simple text message and suddenly all my life has changed. All I could say was anytime her son wanted to come pick it up was fine with me.
      She did say hi after three years, but not much more about how she was doing or a damn thing. I was running through a range of emotions as I read the text. I am surprised she still had my number let alone contacted me. I can still remember the last thing I asked her soon after she went through the surgery, and that was if I could come visit her , and her answer was a resounding no, which still echoes through my mind like someone burning a red hot poker through my skull. She may have come through the surgery ok but somewhere in the process ended up messing with my mind forever screwing with my thoughts as she would twist that poker side to side deepening the hole which I eventually sank into to. The chasm left was just beginning to scab over and then this.
      Give me my stuff is all it said and her son would come and pick it up and then maybe we can be done with all this misery. As if it works that way. Hell I tried to give it back to her right after we broke up and she said she didn’t want it. I was going to bring it to her anyway then I changed my mind as I cared too much for her and really didn’t know if seeing her that time was the right thing to do. Hoping instead that the couple of days before the surgery may give her time to reconsider all that went on. I was stupid as I continue to beat myself up over that one.   Then I said I would give her money for it and I never did that as I only wanted her to have the money and had no idea whether she was capable of anything including opening her mail after the surgery. And in the end I really just wanted her to have her stuff anyhow. If it was money she needed all she ever had to do was ask and I would have gave her all I had, Yet still find a way to get her more. I sent her brothers camera case to her but didn’t have her address so I really couldn’t send her the money anyway if that was all she was worried about.  I would have asked her son about the address, but he decided to break off communications with me, so I just waited. And now today as I get ready to leave on the trip we were supposed to take together and as if as on cue she reappears as a text message to rehash all those memories in my mind.
     The bike was no problem as I probably put a hundred miles on it as I moved it back and forth and around the farm and finally bringing it down here and hanging it on the wall. Knowing I could never get rid of it and now I finally have my chance.  Yet I am reluctant to see it go as I know we will have nothing that binds us anymore. This also means everything will go that she gave me as I really don’t need anything to remind me of her as she has been on my mind all the time. Why I couldn’t get over this one woman I will never know.
       I have tried repeatedly and then I would see an old pic and look at her face and always wonder if she ever felt the same way about me still.  The feelings would grow again inside of me. I tried recording my thoughts and writing them in a book form hoping that maybe somehow in black and white I could read between the lines and find the hidden answer as to why I couldn’t forget her.  Then when Lee and Ann came into my life soon after we broke up, it was more than ironic their names made up my last girlfriend’s whole name, Leann.   It seemed as if someone was in charge of my life and that fate and destiny collided to make all this happen. Just hearing their names and seeing them so happy when all I am at the best is miserable since she we broke up, leaves me envious of their relationship and wondering where I went wrong.
       Don’t know , I just poured my feelings out in this book and kept meticulous records of all that had went on in last couple of years analyzing my every move and in the end what for?  A text message telling me nothing, but saying everything. After I said her son could come and pick up her stuff I considered very carefully what I was to say to her, and in the end I said quite simply he could pick it up ‘anytime’.  Then I said ‘guess you are ok’. And to which I have never received a reply. Maybe I can find out more when he comes and picks up the stuff or not, however the case may be. I won’t pry.
       I slept little last night opting instead to edit my book until the early hours of morning and then rising with the birds and pouring my heart out in this book , as if it would make a damn bit of difference. Sometimes I doubt if she will ever read it. If she does then what would she think? I originally started the book knowing she read my blog regularly and she would comment on what I would write on occasion. After starting my online novel on my blog,  I haven’t heard a word from her until yesterday. Maybe she cares, and then again, maybe she is more than over me and I wish her the best if that is the case. I don’t know and I guess that is where I am at. I am trying damn hard to not have any expectations about anything.
       A few more days of waiting on our trip to the Sequoias with Ann and Lee will have to be, as I wait for Leann and her son to make the connection and I can finally be done with everything about this, if it is meant to be. Unfinished business is the worst thing one can have hanging in their mind. When Shakespeare wrote the lines ‘to be or not to be’ , I doubt  he was writing of failed relationships .  But those words seem appropriate now. It is going to be the end of the beginning of our relationship or the beginning of the end of a new life for me as I finally move on, one way or another.
     I finally find the box and move babe out of the garage floor and out of my way as I  take the bike off the wall and gather up the wheel barrow she left for me to fix and never picked up. I also found her clothes she left as well as the DVD player she brought to me. All of it must go now as I prepare for him to pick it up.
    I have no intention of asking her son anything about her only hoping he offers some information  as to how she is doing, as that is mainly what I care about. I just want her to be well and maybe I hope that when she had that operation and that the surgeon slipped and took out that part of her mind where she used to care about me and that I no longer haunt her memories. I just wish he would work on mine sometimes so I wouldn’t feel anything.
        At times I am beside myself and I just wish this was all over and that I was finally climbing in the seat of the Road Warrior and heading off into the sunset. Instead I will try and be pleasant and to the point and respect her son as I hope he will respect me  and that I can put this bit of unpleasant business behind me. Just knowing life moves on, with or without me.


No comments: